1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Club Sadowsky!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MikeBass, Dec 23, 2007.

Tags:
  1. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Thanks again for your help answering my questions before I pulled the trigger on this one Vic. You were absolutely correct. I can’t wait to gig this bass. It is incredible. I am a amazed at how light it is.

If I had one slight criticism, it’s so light weight I am experiencing a little neck dive on the strap. Any suggestions to counter that?

R&B and Vic like this.
  2. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    maybe not much help, but the short answer is, i never had that problem... including with the new superlight ME (under 8 pounds... VERY light). maybe it's because my old padded levy's straps are so broken in they just don't slide very easy on my shoulder. maybe it's because of how i position the bass against myself, dunno, but i've never felt the need to have to "grab the neck".

GRoberts and R&B like this.
  3. R&B

R&B Both kinds of music: Rhythm AND Blues! Supporting Member

1. Try a suede-lined or neoprene strap.
    2. Embrace the more horizontal playing position—it looks cool. :smug:

jedicollector likes this.
  4. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    ...but it's kinda' bad for the left wrist... at least for me at my age. ironically, a more upright position counteracts neck dive and is better for your left wrist, but may not be personal pref. i knew a lot of warwick thumb players who did that, 'cuz those basses were the WORST for neck dive, as well as being notoriously heavy... bad combo for me.

Kevan Campbell and R&B like this.
  5. GRoberts

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    The strap I used last night is a very smooth leather strap on the inside. I’ll try one of my stickier straps. Thx

R&B likes this.
  6. jondiener

jondiener In the corner, staring at phone during break. Gold Supporting Member

There was a series of posts on this topic about a month ago, including one from Roger Sadowsky.

Club Sadowsky!!!

R&B and GRoberts like this.
  7. To That point when I bought my satin Deluxe I had them send me a Sadowsky Neo strap as well. Match made in Heaven and no neck dive at all.

TolerancEJ and R&B like this.
  8. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    i tried the neo straps for a while and decided i couldn't quite get along with the stretchy nature. but there are plenty of strap options out there that offer comfort and non-slick... woven, suede, or like in my case, a very well worn in leather strap... it's technically a "smooth" strap, but it's so worn in it doesn't slide unless i want it to (i sometimes ham it up on stage and strike a pose... lol).

kevk, fahncahn, R&B and 1 other person like this.
  9. mmbass21

mmbass21 Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2016
    Florida
    I'm not touching this one with a 10ft pole...

R&B, kobass and GRoberts like this.
  10. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    My .02:

I wouldn't say that lightweight, chambered NYCs neck dive, quite--but I have a strong personal preference for the bass to settle on the strap with the headstock angled up a little. My feeling is what @Vic mentioned a couple posts earlier: the angle of my wrist is straighter that way in first position, rather than when the neck is horizontal. I like the way my good ol' Metro sits on the strap; the lighter NYC, not so much.

IME the neoprene straps don't really help this. I've used a couple, and they just tug my shirt. The bass wants to balance the way it wants to.

What did help greatly is that Ellis made me a short extension for the upper strap button. If you want to see pix, search my posts in this thread. Worked like a charm, and she finished the item beautifully and emailed me detailed instructions on installing it. (Like, I wouldn't have thought of widening the countersink just a little or putting a drop of carpenter's glue in the hole. Little things that a skilled tech such as she would know to do.)

Kevan Campbell, kobass and Fred312b like this.
  11. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Exactly right.

FWIW/IMHO, I feel the "sweet spot" for a typical wood constructed 34/35" scale J style bass, balancing overall weight and weight distribution, is around 9 pounds. However, as I've said before, even my sub-8lb MetroExpress doesn't cause me any concern on a strap at all. I'm not exactly sure why, despite the good science behind many comments here somewhat to the contrary.

12. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Somewhat self-serving, but I have a point post:

Been a banner year for scooping up awesome NYC's, but I have a bit of a dilemma ...

1) I have to sell one or two of the NYC's/Metro I have for sale. Gotta pay for the fun I've already had.

2) The Ebony/Alder WL5 is cool, but I definitely will be moving it.

3) The big 'issue' is comparing the Mahogany/RW Modern and the ash/maple Metro.

I absolutely love the total package you get with the Modern design. Like a warmer, more Fender-inspired Ken Smith, and this one is the best I've played, hands-down.

But ...

The slap tone is lean, surgical, and more ... 'modern' ... but the Metro MV5 just has 'that sound' in spades. A lot of it is, IMO, due to the solid ash body and overall heavier weight/feel. It just has a bigger set flat than the Modern. I'm not really a 'J Guy', but I kind of like having that sound in my arsenal.

I imagine I'll end up keeping the mahogany/RW modern, just so that I can roll up to a Jazz-oriented gig with a fretted and fretless Modern, but still ...

Can't I just keep all of them and stay in debt?

Oh, and here's a pic of my fretless NYC, not-going-anywhere Modern fretless, just cause:

Sad Fretless 2.JPG Sad Fretless 1.JPG

13. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    +1 I have done this, and I love it. :thumbsup:

14. GRoberts

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    I tried this at home last night. It is super cool and offers a different tonal palette. Wow. Also was very surprised how incredibly effective the VTC is all on its own.

kevk, Fuzzbass, tombowlus and 4 others like this.
  15. Dave Hill

Dave Hill Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    +1 on the ideal weight for the balance of a 5-string Fender-ly designed instrument. My NYC PJ4 is 7.6 lbs and it’s fine on a strap, but I feel that any more weight on the headstock (say, non ultra light tuners) and it’d be tugging a little. Always trade-offs, it seems...another being the really light/chambered bodies are so resonant that certain frequencies “jump out” more. A little more weight seems to add a slight bit of compression which helps with evenness and balance of notes.

kobass likes this.
  16. leavetheconnoli

leavetheconnoli Supporting Member

May 21, 2017
    New York
    Can someone point me to a chart or plot for the VTC?
    Does the VTC give that mid bump (ala Precision) when turned to 0%?

Alo is the VTC last in the chain on the onboard preamp?

Thanks

17. BluesyCat

BluesyCat I'm irresistible. Gold Supporting Member

Jul 28, 2006
    Torrance, California
    Staff: Bass Gear Magazine
    3 and also :help: only because I could use another one. Well not really, but a girl has to shop! :laugh::thumbsup::woot::bassist::hyper:

Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
  18. BluesyCat

BluesyCat I'm irresistible. Gold Supporting Member

Jul 28, 2006
    Torrance, California
    Staff: Bass Gear Magazine

Dannnng @GRoberts you were always drooling over my 3 Sadowsky's! What took you soo long??

R&B, Fuzzbass, GRoberts and 2 others like this.
  19. HeavyJazz

HeavyJazz Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2013
    Virginia
    Please adjust your stand. My OCD is acting up.

;)

ElMon, Fuzzbass, mmbass21 and 2 others like this.
  20. GRoberts

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    I am a late bloomer it would seem. And now, I am spec’ing another in my head and my eyes are open. You have great taste in basses Lee!

HD007 and BluesyCat like this.