Club Sadowsky!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MikeBass, Dec 23, 2007.

Tags:
  1. cxcxcx

cxcxcx

Mar 8, 2019
    The bass in question had Bart pickups and a Sadowsky preamp in it to replace the stock circuit.

If I was using a Sadowsky outboard pre with a Lakland with Bart pickups and an onboard Bart or Lakland pre, I’d run the bass passive so as to take the onboard pre out of the picture completely.

Deep, jmain and Oldtimer like this.
  2. JoshS

JoshS Supporting Member

Dec 30, 2018
    Colorado
    I'm glad you say this. I'm always tempted to grab and try a combustion or NG3 or something....but not that tempted. I've really settled into an M5-24 pretty exclusively here lately. My other basses (including an MV5E and another M5-24) are getting lonely!

Fuzzbass and KenMoore05 like this.
  3. jmain

jmain Oo, Uhn't uh, Yes! Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Was going to also ask, so thanks for the clarification. My 55-02 has been just hanging around a lot since I got my MIJ RV5ME. Going to noodling around with the outboard pre and the 55-02. But I agree that it's not just the tone, its the feel that makes the Sadowsky the full package.

kobass likes this.
  4. KaseOfBass

KaseOfBass Put some stank on it... Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: GHS Strings
    I had always wanted to give Dingwall a go and got to try one out not too long ago. It was 5-string in the Combustion series through a Mesa WD-800 and a Darkglass cab.

I found it to sound pretty thin without a good amount of EQ and didn’t care for the fanned frets or neck dimensions (felt kind of like a baseball bat to me). The B string was definitely different feeling, but not this 8th wonder of the world different you’d expect from reading about them. Just overall “meh” for what I like. No doubt, they have their fans, but they’re not for me.

JoshS likes this.
  5. Anyone else keeping an eye on the website for the stock update? I can’t buy anything because I have one being built, but it’s still fun to look.

6. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

I like Dingwalls a lot: quality instruments, I can play them OK*, and almost pulled the trigger on an NG3. Then I decided to stick with 34" scale simply for the traditional tone.

*I can play Dingwalls in the low to mid register, but the slanted upper frets require different fingering (and also kinda make my brain hurt)... I suppose I could get accustomed if I wanted to put in the time, but as noted I don't.

JoshS, KaseOfBass and kevk like this.
  7. Joebone

Joebone Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2005
    California Republic
    How does one play chords or triple stops on a Dingwall?

8. cxcxcx

cxcxcx

Mar 8, 2019
    tl,dr answer : not without great difficulty, if you can at all.

Dingwalls have vary degrees of fanning. The 34” to 32” scale four string is not tough to navigate with any tecnique.

When most bass players talk about Dingwalls, they are talking about the five string, which is 37” to 34” scale. That requires more extreme angles in the fan. My Dingwall experience was that most playing below the 12th fret was not entirely foreign or difficult, and made the advantages of the fanned fret system apparent. All the stuff I could play on four or five string translated over with only a little extra effort. It was an extreme reach to get at first position, but Dingwall has made this easier with strap button repositioning.

Chords, triple stops, and even double stops get a little hairy higher than the 12th fret on a Dingwall 5 string bass. It’s extremely difficult to work up there with regular technique, but you could grab some of those notes by tapping. Yeah, Charlie Hunter and those megachops Prog Rock guys that play fanned fret guitars, but their instruments have shorter scales and less extreme fret fanning. Playing something like “Peg” isn’t super-demanding, but chord-melody things are.

I do fully expect someone to post a video of a player doing everything I found basically impossible to play on a Dingwall with grace and ease. I’m just re-counting my experiences.

That all said, Dingwalls are something special - they’re amazing instruments and they sound great live. It can also be noted that if Roger Sadowsky is the most pleasant and knowledgeable guy in the business, Sheldon Dingwall is a close second. You do have to compromise with certain things to enjoy that super-extended range on the Dingwall bass, but it’s worth it to many players. The fanned frets bring a whole bunch of solutions, but also bring some problems with them, like all things in life. Ultimately, the only way to know if a Dingwall will work for you is to get one in your hands and try it out.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2021
    Adam Wright, Joebone, GregC and 3 others like this.
  9. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Last night I switched my SA 200 off standby, it made a pop, the operate light stayed dark, and there’s no signal. Power light stayed on. Is that an easy to troubleshoot issue like a tube, and if not, who is servicing SA200s these days?

10. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Hopefully just a fuse. I am not sure who is authorized to perform service, though.

11. Addison

Addison This time, I didn't forget the gravy. Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2009
    Nunyo, FB
    Does anyone know if the furry guitar stand socks that protect nitro finishes are still available for sale?

I’m looking to buy 10 packs of them - I got a set included with both of my Sadowsky basses, but they’re not on the new Warwick/Sadowsky store for sale.

Thanks!

12. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    I just use 1" clear plastic hose and slice it down the middle, then fit it over the stand. All my basses are nitro and have never had a problem since doing this.

Addison and Fred312b like this.
  13. Addison

Sep 17, 2009
    Nunyo, FB
  14. to be fair, any legit name brand stand made in the last 20 years should be fine without it. Stick with the big guys and avoid the store brand bargain bin and you should be fine. I can personally vouch for Ultimate Support stands and String Swing hangers with my two Sadowsky’s.

31HZ, GregC and Fuzzbass like this.
  15. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

Same goes for Hercules -- their hanging stands have not affected the finish on my Sadowskys (true for at least a decade).

16. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    same here.

jwindham and tombowlus like this.
  17. jay penny

jay penny Supporting Member

Oct 17, 2014

18. Lex P.

Lex P. You've got it awful loud -Kathy P. Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2003
    MSP
    048754CB-A422-4EF3-AC36-B6F620D2B371.jpeg

R&B, lgrankin, gigetto and 2 others like this.
  19. Addison

Sep 17, 2009
    Nunyo, FB
    I have wall-mounted Hercules hangers right now - never had an issue.

However, my daughters are both getting their own rooms now, so I'm switching rooms and decided to get a new system for my room.

I went with these guys: Guitar Hanger MX™ | Multiple Guitar Hanging System by diamondLife

Pricing seemed reasonable and I really like their options.

Anyway, they have this fine-print on their site:

I'm guessing that they're just saying that to cover their butts and I'll likely be fine, but even String Swing has this in their FAQ:

And then in their disclaimer, they talk about the possibility of marking instruments and having a different material option:

Again, it's probably safe and they're likely just covering their butts.

I'm just a "better safe than sorry" kind of guy and don't mind the extra expense of throwing some protection on my hanger if it saves me money down the road. Boy, that sounds weird. *AHEM* :smug:

I'll keep looking - and maybe try the clear tubing route if necessary. Or, I'll just make my own.

Thanks again, fellas!

Chris

GregC, kobass, Fuzzbass and 1 other person like this.
  20. Addison

Sep 17, 2009
    Nunyo, FB
    This is my setup now - but when I finished the basement (where my music room/office is right now), I had the wall behind the sheet rock reinforced for these hangers. Now that I’m moving upstairs, I switched to a slat-wall system.

33EA17FB-98E6-4F25-8143-9E0C433B9E5E.jpeg

R&B, barks, ExaltBass and 8 others like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 2, 2021