1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

CP Thornton Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Nightman, Apr 28, 2018.

1. CP Thornton

CP Thornton Commercial User

Apr 30, 2018
    CP Thornton Guitars
    Sounds like an interesting project Nightman and a lot of fun too. I'm doing the same thing right now as I finish the basses I'm working on. Every bass has the same pickups & circuitry and all setup to the same specs with the same strings through the same amp with the same settings. So what I'm hearing are the differences in the wood combinations.
    You said two things that I've heard before from players who have played my basses and I find it interesting that you use the same words they did, piano like tone and tight string feel. I had one guy come to my shop on a quest to find a 5 string without a floppy feeling 5th string and he commented on the tight string feel. Thank you for posting your feelings on the results of your test.

2. Samuel Newsom

Samuel Newsom

Mar 5, 2018
    Chuck I’m curious what do you use for strings? I usually use Dunlop Austin web rights but I love the sound of the strings on this bass already!

3. CP Thornton

Apr 30, 2018
    CP Thornton Guitars
    Hi Sam, What's on your bass are DR Dragon Skins 45-125 but I also like on my 5 strings Curt Mangan Nickel Wound 45-125.

Samuel Newsom likes this.
  4. Nightman

Nightman If it ain't low, it's got to go! Supporting Member

Jun 3, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    My CP Thornton has the Curt Mangan strings on it and they are awesome!! I posted on another thread about Curt Mangan strings after I received my bass and the strings received very good comments.
    I usually use D'Addario XL170-5 strings, which are close to what comes on Roscoe basses. They are a nice set and don't cost as much as Curt Mangan, which fits my wallet nicely since I have more than a few basses to keep strings on. I'll get the chance try the D'Addario on the CP Thronton when it's time to change strings, but if the Curt Mangan strings are part of its sound then it's Curt Mangan strings, no doubt!

CP Thornton likes this.
  5. BlueLou

BlueLou

Oct 26, 2017
    Vermont
    I have mentioned in the past I am primarily a guitar player. I assume there are tons of bass string changing threads to research and it it borders on religious type debates a lot of time
    So how often do you guys really change your strings? I have read where some guys play the same string sets for years & years on their bass. If that were the case then buying strings once in a blue moon and paying $$$ for the best ( another relative statement) wouldn't be such a burden. Playing as a pro versus a bedroom wanker is a huge difference in the discussion of course, along with all the other variables.

CP Thornton and Nightman like this.
  6. Samuel Newsom

Samuel Newsom

Mar 5, 2018
    It really depends on you. Sometimes old dead strings sound great for a vintage sound. If you like a really bright string sound then change them when they start to sound old like a guitar. They will last a while so I would say if you’re a neat freak about your basses-change them when your fretboard starts looking cruddy and needs a cleaning.

CP Thornton, Nightman and Carlostito like this.
  7. JTbass_6

JTbass_6

Dec 23, 2004
    So, played a gig today for a Mothers day brunch playing mostly listening music. Brought my Modulus Quantum 6 fretless ( 1991) and the CPthornton 5. I have to say that the CPT 5 really was all over the tone even for playing old swing stuff!! Sounded just awesome !! The other guys dug the tone and it was inspiring to solo with it. Got to change my strings though.....but the old strings really fit this gig I must say. I have some trio stuff in the works and the CPT 5 is going to be going with me on those gigs. Hoping that trio gets busy. Chuck, maybe I can bring Don up to your place sometime to check out your gorgeous guitars!

8. Nightman

Jun 3, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    There are different types of bass strings. You can google the various types for your understanding. The Flat strings are a type where you can keep them on for years and they sound better with age. I have a Rob Allen and the strings he puts on his basses are coated flats that will last for 15 - 18 years playing regularly or, in my case, forever!! The Nickle strings I use I change once a year, and I've gotten into soaking them in denatured alcohol to give them extra life (not because I'm cheap, but because why toss them if they are just dirty and still have life in them?). I can't deal with dull strings and don't like the sound them on my basses for the styles of music that I play.
    I just experienced dull strings on my Wyn that really baffled me at first. I just put the Dean Markley strings on in March and hadn't played it much. When I went to play it to do my bass comparison the A, D & G strings were very dull, but the B & E were still zingy. I initially thought the neck had moved on me. I tried to make small adjustments but no improvement in the sound. I had another set, so I changed the strings only to realize it was not the neck but the strings. I'll probably not buy another set of those and go with my old reliable D'Addario EXL170-5 strings.

Last edited: May 13, 2018
    CP Thornton and BlueLou like this.
  9. CP Thornton

Apr 30, 2018
    CP Thornton Guitars
    Hi JTbass-6, Glad you had a great gig yesterday and very glad you enjoyed playing your 5 string.
    I have a case of Curt Mangan 45-125 strings coming in that you should try on your 5 string, I think you might like them alot. I'll give you a call when they're here and you can come to the shop and I'll put a set on for you and yes please bring Don with you, I'd love to meet him.

Nightman, BlueLou and Carlostito like this.
  10. Nightman

Jun 3, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    How cool is it to live near a fabulous guitar builder!!! Hey Chuck, ever thought about relocating to the Atlanta area? :D

BlueLou and Carlostito like this.
  11. CP Thornton

Apr 30, 2018
    CP Thornton Guitars
    No can't say as I have Nightman, I love the state of Maine. I've lived in three different towns in NH, Boston MA., LA CA.and
    West Palm Beach FL.
    But I would love for you and your wife to come to Maine and visit my shop and have dinner and wine with me & my family.

12. Nightman

Jun 3, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    I'll have to make plans to do just that!! Maybe bring home my next CP Thornton, and some new shoes, an outfit and a new purse, too! :laugh:

Carlostito likes this.
  13. CP Thornton

Apr 30, 2018
    CP Thornton Guitars
    Sounds like fun Nightman but keep in mind you're coming to Maine where new shoes, an outfit and purse means a trip to
    LL Beans for some Bean boots, cold weather pants and a back pack.:roflmao:

BlueLou, Carlostito and Nightman like this.
  14. Samuel Newsom

Samuel Newsom

Mar 5, 2018
    And a stop at kittery trading post along the way :)

BlueLou, Nightman and CP Thornton like this.
  15. Craig4bass

Craig4bass

May 1, 2018
    Wow, it looks like I never replied to this question, sorry about that. This CP Thornton has Nordstrands, NJ4SV's J style, and the controls give both Passive and Active circuitry. Neck volume, Bridge volume and passive tone as you'd expect on the outer set of knobs, and inner set (by the flip of a small switch) gives cut or boost to Treble, Mid, or Bass, and the little "click" feel when any knob is in the center is so helpful when adjusting real time. You can imagine the range of tones and the quick volume boost for any type of solo or featured cut. I've never played anything better, and doubt I ever will. Definitely my favorite

CP Thornton and Nightman like this.
  16. Nightman

Jun 3, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Trust me, my wife will find that one boutique clothing store in Maine!! :laugh:

CP Thornton likes this.
  17. Nightman

Jun 3, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Thanks @Craig4bass. My passive CP Thornton is a killer bass!! It with active/passive controls would be out of this world!

BlueLou and CP Thornton like this.
  18. Nightman

Jun 3, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    I played my MV5 with TI Flats Sunday at service. I thought I really like the TI Flats, but they are just too loose and sticky. I going to put some Steel strings on it to see if I can like the bass again, otherwise, it's out of here along with the TI Flats, and the proceeds will go toward something far more better!!

19. thirtyhz

thirtyhz Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2001
    In the wannabe stage at this point til I unload some other lesser basses. Soon though VERY soon. I have been up to Chucks shop though and can say that he is a great guy and probably one of the best builders out there (I have had all the boutique stuff and Chuck is as good and more often better). After seeing several basses in the build process its obvious Chuck is a meticulous perfectionist. I really like tight strings and usually go with a 35 inch scale but he seems to have the secret magic formula for 34's, perfect tension. There are a few guys with CPT basses that show up at a blues jam I host and they really have an impressive and versatile tone (through my rig :) that sits very well in the mix. Now if I can only talk him into a PJ as I gather my pennies :)

20. Nightman

Jun 3, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    TI Flats on MV5 revisit: Okay, so while my Curt Mangan strings are on order, I took the TI Flats off the MV5 and installed a not new but fresh set to DR Sunbeams. Without any string height adjustments, the MV5 plays nicely. No noise from strings being too loose. I have an AME Conference to do tomorrow, so I'm taking the MV5 for a road test.

CP Thornton likes this.