1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Darkglass Microtubes 900 Class D Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Spector2112, Jan 20, 2016.

1. alembicbones

alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    I have a M900 scheduled for delivery today, so it could be a NAD. There is one catch though. I requested that the FedEx package be signed for upon delivery. This duty has been entrusted to my 17 year old daughter who is home for winter break. Here's hoping she comes through!

Bones

sok monkee likes this.
  2. alembicbones

alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    UPDATE! Just spoke with daughter and the amp has been delivered. Apparently the dog made things a bit of a challenge but she made it work. Today is an official NAD. Looking forward to putting it through its paces tonight.

Bones

jjmf, ev223, sok monkee and 5 others like this.
  3. Wicked G

Wicked G

Jan 19, 2017
    Far West Texas
    So have you played with it yet? What do you think?

4. alembicbones

alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    It's really like no amp I've ever owned. I'm running it through an 8 ohm Fender 410 Neo cab. There's clearly lots of room for clean volume. With the Microtubes Engine engaged, I've never had such cool distortion at my fingertips. I think this amp is a winner. I'm psyched to use it in a band setting.

Bones

Daz JP, jjmf, ev223 and 1 other person like this.
  5. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    DFW, Texas
    I think for the tone I'm after, I'd rather have a Vintage Ultra into something like the Quilter BB800.

6. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    I’ve got the Quilter and the BB800. I thought I’d have an easy time deciding which to keep and which to sell. There’s definitely not a clear winner. But there’s always a case for the right tool for the job, and each has strengths.

lo-freq likes this.
  7. Wicked G

Wicked G

Jan 19, 2017
    Far West Texas
    Update:
    I played my Microtubes 500 again last night with 2 TCE K212 cabs and was pretty much experiencing the same thing with different EQ settings and the Gain at about 10:00. I finally got fed up and switched over on the second set to the Genz Benz Shuttle 6.2 and the difference in weight, girth, heft, everything was dramatic. Even my sound guy said the Genz was heads and shoulders above the Darkglass.

I don't know if there is something wrong with my Darkglass or not, I don't think so, but I am just going to return it this week. I was expecting an amp with 2 distortion channels and a clean channel and what I got was an amp with 3 distortion channels instead. :( The clean can sound clean until you begin to play hard at volume, then it tends to break up quite a bit more than I would like. But the VMT and B3K are pretty awesome which I believe is the main reason to buy this amp. For distortion, this amp is killer.

Now some people may actually like how this amp breaks up at volume, but it's just not what I was expecting. Especially with it having the newer Ice chip and for what it cost me. I think Tuesday I am going to return it and just go with my original plan of getting a Magellan 800. And for the record, I did not post on here to troll, I just wanted to let everyone know of my actual experience. I really wanted to like this amp. :(

CoarseBass and Dave W like this.
  8. CoarseBass

CoarseBass

Dec 28, 2002
    Good post...not everyone has to like everything.

That said, might want to talk to @Darkglass and see if there is an issue with your clean channel.

9. Wicked G

Wicked G

Jan 19, 2017
    Far West Texas
    Thanks. Since it is within the return period, I was just thinking about contacting Sweetwater Tuesday. I was just playing it again right now at home and man does it sound sweet at home, but that has been my problem with this amp. It sounds great at home where I don't play it hard.

IDK, I don't want to be that guy to complain and return it for another and then the next one comes and it does the exact same thing. Maybe, maybe not, IDK. It would be cool if someone else owned the 500 also and chimed in with their experience.

10. Darkglass

Darkglass Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 10, 2008
    Helsinki, Finland
    Douglas Castro, Founder: darkglass.com
    Hi! A few quetsions to rule out possible issues:

1) Did you experience saturation with the DI? If so make sure the Phantom power on the console was off (Phantom can make protecion diodes clip and cause a pretty ugly saturation).
    2) Were you using the amp on passive mode? With hot basses the EQ and clean channel's Gain stage might saturate unpleasantly.
    3) If answers to 1 and 2 were "no" please send us an email to support@darkglass.com.

Kind regards and Merry Christmas!

Last edited: Dec 24, 2017
  11. Wicked G

Wicked G

Jan 19, 2017
    Far West Texas
    Hello Douglas. Thanks for the reply.

I was playing active basses each time with the pad on. Sterling Ray 34, ESP B-4Z and Dean Vendetta. The amp would range from clean to sort of a clipping sound to distortion. I had to keep the gain below 11:00 or it would distort too much and above 9:00 or the DI signal was too low for FOH.

I just spoke with the sound guy and he said that he does run Phantom power for the drum mics. Which now explains why it sounds good at home but does weird clipping and distorting things at the show.

Thanks for the info.

Pleasurewizard and Darkglass like this.
  12. Without the Microtubes turned on it is just an ICE module with a nice EQ preamp. There shouldn't be any distortion in that mode unless something is wrong. I've never had issues with my active basses but I don't have any of the models you mentioned so it is possible that's where the difference lies.

13. Wicked G

Wicked G

Jan 19, 2017
    Far West Texas
    No it isn't my basses and it isn't phantom power either cause it first popped up on a practice with no PA.

I have 8 amps and none of them give me problems. This one is just going back.

14. Darkglass

Dec 10, 2008
    Helsinki, Finland
    Thank you for the update and kind words.

What types of settings have you explored so far?

Kind regards,
    D.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2017
    Wicked G likes this.
  15. Wicked G

Wicked G

Jan 19, 2017
    Far West Texas
    Good morning Douglas, hope you had a Merry Christmas.

I have tried different EQ settings from about 10:00 to 1:00. I have tried running the gain at anywhere from 9:00 to 3:00 and of course master to taste while always having the pad engaged. What I have liked the best was Bass at about 1:00, Low Mid at 11:00 with the button engaged at 250 I believe, the High Mid at 12:00 with the button not engaged, the treble at 12:00, Gain at 10:00 and Master where needed which was at about 1:00 if I remember correctly.

That yielded the best results for me so far. Lowering the gain below 10:00 was not an option because the DI signal was too weak for FOH. After thinking about it some more, I still have a couple more weeks on the return policy with Sweetwater, so I am going to give it another try on my gig New Years Eve with the Gain at about 9:30ish. See if that is enough signal for FOH and maybe run a little cleaner.

Just to let you know, I do not like a full clean sound. I like some grit but was getting quite a bit more than that. I love the Microtubes Engine with both VMT and B3K so I am going to try it again. Didn't mean to hijack this thread, but I do appreciate the info and help.

Thank you.

16. Darkglass

Dec 10, 2008
    Helsinki, Finland
    Thank you for the update!

If the DI presents issues due to phantom, it would be worth trying with a separate DI via the FX Loop Send.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,
    D.

Wicked G likes this.
  17. Definitely sounds like an actual problem with the amp. I'd return it but let them know it is messed up so they don't just resell it as new.

18. Wicked G

Wicked G

Jan 19, 2017
    Far West Texas
    Oh yeah, I would definitely let them know there is a problem so that someone else doesn't purchase my headache. :)

And I have been having a PM with Douglas Castro, so I am going to give a shot again this coming New Years Eve.

Daz JP likes this.
  19. Put in my order for a micro tubes 900. Pretty excited.

tombowlus and monsterthompson like this.
  20. Lammchop93

Lammchop93 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    Seeing the new Darkglass A/O Ultra at NAMM this year, I'm wondering if we are going to see a v2 of the head with the new cabsim feature built in. What do you all think?