Darkglass Vintage Deluxe!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by eyeballkid, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Spencer did they ship to Deluxe Guitars in Melbourne yet? I'd love to support the local guys but I know with the standard VMT it was quicker for me to get it through Prymaxe then it was through them.

2. Adamixoye

Adamixoye A PT Pro is cool for worship, right?

Apr 9, 2012
    Occasional Beta Tester for Confusion Studios, Singular Sound, and Source Audio
    Ha, that's a great line.

3. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Just arrived! Have a show tonight so I think I'll head down to the rehearsal space early and try to set it up! ImageUploadedByTalkBass1392326216.384150.jpg

4. iggy

iggy

Jan 3, 2006
    please post a review

5. Man, that's gorgeous!

6. DirtyDuke

DirtyDuke Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 13, 2012
    guelph ontario
    Partner Southampton Pedals, Partner CCP
    I ordered one too.:hyper

7. zwkoch

zwkoch You can't do that on bass enthusiast

Nov 29, 2012
    Twin Cities, MN
    Mine is here too. Didn't get home in time to set it up before practice. Giving it a whirl this weekend.

8. sunbeast

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    On my way to our show now- plugged it in and compared to my standard Vintage. Much like the B7K, it seems the EQ is about centered at 10:30 or so on the dials. I noticed there is a pretty significant bump in the Volume control on the Deluxe vs the standard- with the EQ set flat and all else equal (I don't use any Clean blend on my Vintage), Volume at 10:30 is also about equivalent to Volume at noon on the standard model. I'm gonna use my standard settings and do little tweaks from there tonight- playing with the EQ by myself I am finding some pretty useful tones with minimal adjustment but will have to test in the mix of course.

I'm gonna go crazy and run my Vintage into my Vintage Deluxe tonight instead of my usual Dark Driving for the few heavy choruses we do- it sounded killer playing around with it by myself!

9. Darkglass

Darkglass Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 10, 2008
    Helsinki, Finland
    Douglas Castro, Founder: darkglass.com
    Awesome to hear you like it!
    And yeah, the VMT Deluxe, just like the B7K has a bit more volume on tap in case you want to use it to drive a power amp.

The circuitry and tones are identical though (to their respective smaller brothers) is just the extra boost at the EQ in case you want to use it without another preamp ;).

Regards,
    Doug.

10. eloann

eloann

May 14, 2012
    Switzerland
    I'll get mine from Thomann since they lowered their prices close to the level I could get from US dealers (and without the coupon thingy). Spent half the night transcribing a song to record with the Deluxe when it gets here. Now I'm at work, trying not to fall asleep.

11. Eadger

Eadger Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2012
    Colorado
    Hey Doug, so is that extra gain separate from the EQ, or is it boosted with EQ itself? In other words, is setting EQ at noon still level from an EQ perspective but with more volume, or is the extra volume actually being boosted at those EQ points even when set at noon, and as sunbeast noted, "flat" EQ would actually be around 10:30? (I don't mind the volume/gain bump, but just want to know where flat is EQ-wise)

12. Darkglass

Dec 10, 2008
    Helsinki, Finland
    Hi! That's a good question. The EQ itself has unity gain (meaning that there's no extra boost happening at each band with the knobs set at noon). But the level boost is just before the EQ, and it's just 5dB. Given that the EQ's on the B7K/Vintage Deluxe cover most of the bass' signal spectrum, dialing down these knobs to 10:30 (as many have pointed out) yields unity gain.

At the end all equalization and frequency response is just how much of a certain band you have in relation to the other ones.
    Which is why in theory, if you want a mid boost in a 3 band EQ you can either boost the mid knob, or cut both bass and treble.

I hope this helps!
    Regards,
    Doug.

13. Eadger

Eadger Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2012
    Colorado
    Thanks Doug, yeah that helps a lot! Even if the EQ covers most of the spectrum (and maybe I wouldn't even be able to perceive the difference of cutting them equally), in my head I like to know where I'm cutting and boosting. And according to your theory, if the B7K with EQ at 10:30 is level, then the Vintage Deluxe would theoretically have a high-mid boost with it's EQ levels at 10:30 since it doesn't have a high-mid control comparatively (unless your Q widths are vastly different).

So if the boost is right before the EQ, that would mean it's a boost of the combined signal, right? (as opposed to boosting either the clean or overdriven signal...so the blend/level knobs are equally unaffected by the boost directly)

14. sunbeast

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA

That's interesting- at least to me comparing directly to my standard Vintage I found the EQ to need cutting to get the same tones, and even with the EQ cut I still found the Volume noticeably louder. Regardless, it was pretty much exactly what I have been looking for! I definitely see this pedal filling the needs of lots of folks looking for a more vintage style preamp without the scoop/compression!

15. sunbeast

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Our show last night ended up not being an ideal venue to get a good vibe of the Deluxe in the mix on stage (one of those dreaded rickety hollow stages + a fried guitar amp mid-song made for an interesting set!), but given all the compliments on my rig last night it must have sounded good to the audience!

16. when will be released some demos of this pedal on bass?

17. Darkglass

Dec 10, 2008
    Helsinki, Finland
    In 3 words ;) : Yes! Mr. Excane.

18. TMFoodBass

TMFoodBass

Feb 24, 2012
    Adamstown, PA
    None
    Did anyone get their pre-order from Prymaxe yet?

19. Jepus

Jepus

Apr 1, 2004
    Edinburgh
    Ooh looking forward to mr excane's video.

20. DirtyDuke

DirtyDuke Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 13, 2012
    guelph ontario
    Partner Southampton Pedals, Partner CCP

Not yet, but mine is being shipped to Canada

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 21, 2021