1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

David Hasselhof's Rock Band 1973

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by MEKer, Jan 16, 2013.

1. Great story brother! Thanks for sharing.

As to the Hoff? Looks like he's done well for himself and his family. Shouldn't that always be our first priority?

2. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    Ah jeez---In the pic I posted in post 8 you'll note that Sortini is ALSO wearing a cheesy blue shirt---:rollno:---maybe that is why his expression is kinda strange. Jack was never known for sartorial sophistication (ahem...as though the rest of us were?)

3. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    PTARLAK

4. bassinplace

bassinplace

Dec 1, 2008
    Ah, the most interesting name on the bill, if not the funniest. How'd you guys come up with it?

5. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    I was deep into H.P.Lovecraft at the time and wrote a Lovecraftian-type of poem about a spooky land I made up I called PTARLAK. We adopted it as the name for the band.

6. dickfitts

dickfitts

Jan 18, 2012
    Best....Thread....Slash.....Band.....Name......EVER. I am stunned and humbled by your tale, sir.

7. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    You look at the weird date on the gig flyer and I can only find 2 "major" things that happened on May 31, 1929: (1) the first talking cartoon of Mickey Mouse, "The Karnival Kid", is released and (2) the Atlantic City Convention Center opens for business.

Wish I knew why they had that on there, a 4th of July 1973 celebration. Then again, acid, mesq, etc was still popular:bag:

:confused:

8. bassinplace

bassinplace

Dec 1, 2008
    I was wondering that too. I was guessing it was a part of the clip art they used and they just left it in.

9. Gasman

Gasman Gold Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2007
    South Carolina
    This thread just drips with awesomeness! Thank you, thank you, thank you for sharing MEKer! What a great story!

Just curious, what prompted you to post these at this time?

10. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    A few days ago,Tony, our drummer in Ptarlak, sent me MP3s he had made from an old reel-to-reel of us practicing. He had found the reel in a bunch of old junk and was shocked about finding them. He then sent me them in MP3 format as a surprise. So, so cool. Had me smiling all day.
    Thought I'd share.

But no, I'll not post the tunes----I think they suck and you'll REALLY laugh at the Hoff if I do.

11. Wow... I've always thought of myself as a pretty straight dude, but some of those pics of the Hoff make me ask myself questions that I don't want to know the answers to.

12. Barca_bass

Barca_bass

May 22, 2011
    Wow...I will sub to this just for the MP3s...awesome story OP. What were rehearsals like?

13. You are an honorable man. Nice to see solid ethics on the internet.

14. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Cool story! Thanks for sharing. (And nice shirt by the way. Not as cool as the Hoff's pants but....)

15. kai_ski

kai_ski

Apr 14, 2007
    Wenatchee, WA
    or midriff.

16. wneff

wneff

May 27, 2003
    Woburn, MA
    Yes, I played in a cover bad in Germany back then and guess what - if you needed people on the dancefloor you played "I've been looking for freedom". Guess that song somehow resonated in 89/90 with the Germans...

17. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Check out the turquoise "muscle" shirt and the striped polyester dungarees. Yeesh! What a dork! :p :smug:

MM

18. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    Well, not just David on vocals needed work-we all sucked at various level in that tape and during that time. But the main thing is that it was a great time, a learning time and David was a good guy. We all knew up front this was an exploratory thing for him as his goal was acting---period. I was really happy for him when he made it on to TV and forward from there.

19. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    Great story, and full of surprising revelations, like this...

Ha, if there's one thing I'd never have expected from David Hasselhof it's being in a band named after a spooky land from a Lovecraftian poem.

20. kjpollo

kjpollo

Mar 17, 2008
    CT
    "clip art" ???? Dude, the flyer was from 1973! Did they even know what "clip art" WAS back then?

Cool of you to NOT make the stuff public.
    But I'm curious- what kind of music were you guys playing? Any bands from that era that you think you sounded like? Or at least TRIED to sound like?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 14, 2021