1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

de afwerking mk3-6 - A build diary.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by blablas, Jun 15, 2013.

1. It's looking really good!
  2. 6stringpanda

Aug 9, 2013
    Been looking for a headless 6 string like that my whole life!

Just in right hand!

You are my new fav bass maker!
  3. Thanks for the compliment!!
  4. W8fkNX6.
    The sides of the frets are finished and the tops are leveled.
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
  5. Sawed the neck to thickness and finally could get a go at doing my favorite part of bass building: The volute.
    Still in a bit of a rough shape though, further refining will come once I start final shaping of the complete back of the neck.
  6. JT0PvNn.
    Shaping of the neck is done.

7. dlfA8Ha.
    How the back will look once the neck is attached to the body.
    It's not yet glued in here, I still need to finish the back of the body and crown and polish the frets.
  8. devo_stevo

Aug 2, 2006
    Northern Utah
    Builder: Brumbaugh Guitarworks
    Very nice.
  9. D8So8bA.
    Crowning and polishing the frets.
    The ones with tape are already done, the ones without not.
  10. A few close-ups of the fretwork (someone asked for them on a Dutch forum, might as well place them here to).
  11. NPkdxGp.
    The final routing is done, made the hole for the battery box in the access cover.
  12. Splods

Oct 7, 2012
    Adelaide, SA
    Oh wow that's clever. I never thought of putting the battery box in the cover as well.
  13. Finished sanding the back of the neck and the headstock.
    Before I did that I decided to modify the neck profile a little bit, it's slightly asymmetrical now.

Also put on a layer of Danish oil (except for the still to glue neck heel), now it won't get dirty any more, and I was just curious how it was going to look.
  14. Dean N

Dean N

Jul 4, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Wow. That volute/lamination work is ridiculous. Actually, this whole build is. Lots of well-thought-out, functional things in the design. Elegant. Brilliant!
  15. That's the way I prefer to work - think twice, build once......
    But don't overdo the thinking and build nothing. ;)

And thanks for the compliment.
  16. The neck is glued in the body.

The end of this build is coming in sight, I still need to drill some holes and after that give it a final sanding session and then I can start the oiling.
  17. wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    deviated prevert
    Well, this thread is really cool, and I also like the volute, as well as the body.

But, I don't mean to impugn, but, and don't be mad, but... You built it backwards.

Looking really good!
  18. Just curious: how did you determine the optimum pickup position ? I mean, it's a 1st time design and there could be no experience from previous builds.
  19. There is no optimum pickup position!

It's a first time body design, but not my first build with this kind of pickups.
    The pickup position I'm using here with dual coil pickups was determined when I build my previous six string bass. The center of the bridge coil is roughly on the same center as the Musicman humbucker bridge coil, relative to this coil I position the neck pickup, the center of the coil closest to the neck is on the same distance that's between the (jazz) pickups of a Warwick Corvette, these two coils are the ones I will use in single coil mode.
    These distances have been upscaled to a 35 inch scale by the way.

I really like the sound these positions give me, and then there are also the added sound possibilities with the Series/single/parallel switch for each pickup.
  20. Corey Y

Corey Y Guest

Jun 3, 2010
    The whole instrument is shaping up like a work of art. Beautiful build blablas, very inspiring!