1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dean Club!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tom once dead, Apr 11, 2008.

Tags:
  1. So did anyone else see that @B-Mac got banned? Wonder what the deal with that is? Big blow to the Dean Club community. He knew a lot about obscure Dean models. And he issues the numbers.

2. 58kites

58kites Save a life....adopt a Pitbull

Oct 21, 2014
    Austin Texas
    I have a cherry red Czech made Dean Improv from 2000 or 2001.

5 piece maple and walnut neck through with a wenge fretboard w/ 24 frets.
    Alder body wings with a half inch thick maple top.
    EMG CS soapbars and EMG pre.
    Schaller gold tuners and some bridge that has gold type finish.
    Metal nut with gold type plating.

The bass reminds me of the Czech made Spectors.

Templar and Switched like this.
  3. Bass Man Stan

Bass Man Stan

Mar 29, 2019
    My dean razor is on its way. A amber colored one popped up in Syracuse New York G.C. I called and talked to Kevin who said it was like new and he had just taken it in yesterday. I should get it on black Friday or cyber Monday along with some DiMarzio model j pick ups and DR sunbeam strings. Stoked!!! Screenshot_2019-11-22-11-12-27.png

4. I don't think very many Improvs were built. No idea what year mine were built, but their serial #'s were only 9 digits apart. Sold the purple one last year, still have the Honeyburst. Amazing basses that can be had for very reasonable money (if you can actually find one for sale).

upload_2019-11-22_23-30-2.png
    IMG_0396_zpswvmwikyc.jpg

IMG_0394_zpshi0iykfe.jpg

IMG_0465_zps5awbrrac.jpg
    IMG_0463_zpsbxxgat7o.jpg

5. meshica7

meshica7

Mar 7, 2009
    Florida
    I have a question for all u fellow Dean owners..
    What's going on with DOA and it's forums? I own 2 Deans (a Rhapsody 12 string and an EABC5) and joined the DOA back when I purchased my Rhapsody. Of course, that was the last year they had any gatherings in Tampa (I live 30 mins away) and I haven't received any newsletters, notifications, anything DOA related. The DOA forum is rarely updated. Customer service is great..I had a concern about my EAB and contacted Dean by email..got a response straight away. I really wanted to get involved in some of the DOA events in Tampa..just doesn't seem to be anything happening on that front.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
  6. Bass Man Stan

Bass Man Stan

Mar 29, 2019
    Dean On Arrival club? Didn't know it existed. Sounds like fun.

7. Bass Man Stan

Bass Man Stan

Mar 29, 2019
    Purple basses are cool, IMHO

8. Bass Man Stan

Bass Man Stan

Mar 29, 2019
    Hope all is well with the recently absent member and await his return. Let's keep it rolling, after turkey day I will be doing pick up upgrades trying new strings etc. It is hard to believe the variety of Dean instruments pictured in this thread. This really is a archive of dean history.

9. 2many

2many

Sep 14, 2019
    00D7CCE5-5F6D-480D-AE27-F8C328FF2DF6.jpeg
    My razor five string is set up EADGC and oh-boy, do I love it that way!
    Sometimes I get some mental brain hiccups going between my other fivers set up with low B. Not to mention jumping to the eight and the twelve string basses. The razor’s shape is such that I have a very good time slinging it around when I am really “feeling it”.

Switched and Bass Man Stan like this.
  10. meshica7

meshica7

Mar 7, 2009
    Florida

Seems the whole forum over at Dean is "locked".

11. Bass Man Stan

Bass Man Stan

Mar 29, 2019
    Very cool basses 2many. The 5er looks as sleek as the 4. Had to zoom in to see which was the 5er.

12. Bass Man Stan

Bass Man Stan

Mar 29, 2019
    Seems the recently absent memBer has gone from suspended to banned?

13. 58kites

Oct 21, 2014
    Austin Texas
    Do not know what the banning is about, obviously B-Mac is a super nice guy and a very positive contributor to the forum, but something went awry.
    Over the years I've spent time on a skateboarding forum and a kiteboarding forum and here on TB.
    Seems it is far easier to get warnings/penalty points/suspensions/banned here than on those other two forums.
    You have to really raise heck on those forums to get a warning, and when somebody gets banned, everyone can see it coming a month before it happens.
    On this forum, I got a warning about something I don't even remember within a month or two of joining, got another one for a pic I posted (Cool rock n roll photos thread) of Siouxsie Sioux of Siouxsie and the Banshees where she was performing in a small theatre and her shirt was somewhat see through.
    At another point here, I think I mentioned the name of a politician and got a warning.
    I was very surprised that a thread (that I participated in for a bit) about God vs Atheism did not result in some kind of trouble.
    I tread very lightly on TB, and try to remember that it's rules are at the discretion of it's creator and many moderators.
    Unfortunately, I happen to be pretty politically/socially liberal and completely anti religion so it's easy for me to step out of line...but those things have nothing to do with Bass so I try to keep my head down and keep it inside the Bass-related box.

14. 2many

2many

Sep 14, 2019
    The four string neck isn't as wide as the five. But the five is still quite narrow. Notice the string spacing too...

15. 58kites

Oct 21, 2014
    Austin Texas
    Sorry, didn't post pics.
    It's pretty, but not as pretty as the amber one Templar has.
    For some reason the red trans finish is not as transparent as the amber so the figuring on the maple top (and the rest of it) does not show through as clearly as on the amber one.
    IMG_20190403_183831.jpg IMG_20190403_183847.jpg IMG_20190403_184014.jpg IMG_20190403_183838.jpg IMG_20190403_183956.jpg

Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
    Switched and Bass Man Stan like this.
  16. Switched

Switched

Apr 19, 2003
    Qld, Australia
    I see both Banned and Suspended banners for him. Could still just be a temporary vacation. He's a prolific poster so obviously tripped over some rule, although there doesn't appear to be many rules that are hard to follow here. Oh well, hopefully it blows over before too long.

And to stay on topic, I'm loving those pictures of the Improvs, Razors, and Rhapsodies! I've never had the chance to see or play one in person. I think Dean dealers in Australia only received limited models. All of my Dean basses bar the Edge 4 I imported myself.

17. ElBecko59

ElBecko59

Aug 30, 2019
    Southeast USA
    Among my many guitars and basses these are my 2 recently acquired Dean basses , Both are the funky looking Hillsboro models (1) Hillsboro J Trans Blue flame top (2) Hillsboro Single in classic white , Got them both online and they were both easy on the wallet so decided to try them out , Aside from both having 1 or 2 high frets (easy fix) the action on both are really low and playability is great and they are very easy to play , Both appear to be in almost new unplayed condition , The maple necks are amazing and feel good and whatever strings these came with both are soft and slinky - They sound pretty good for my home playing needs played though my Roland XL-120 Cube amp , Now if I can somehow hide or lose the mustache headstock logos ??? Dean Hillsboro J.jpg Dean Hillsboro J Trans Blue.jpg Dean Hillsboro Single.jpg

18. Bass Man Stan

Bass Man Stan

Mar 29, 2019
    The Hillsboro line is starting to grow on me. I like a bass shape that is unique, must be why I bought a razor. That said, my new juggernaut is really nice and strings are the only upgrade I can see it needing. Look at logo on my headstock, yuck 20191125_062315.jpg

Rev12_11 likes this.
  19. ElBecko59

ElBecko59

Aug 30, 2019
    Southeast USA
    Your logo is a mini version of the same "mustache" logo !

20. Bass Man Stan

Bass Man Stan

Mar 29, 2019
    I like the big logo that rolls with the line of the headstock. The one on mine just looks odd in its design and placement. It really would look better with a black headstock.