Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Deep Impact is BACK!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by cheezewiz, Dec 13, 2004.

1. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
  2. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    People have been practically killing each other to get these. Props to Akai for bringing them back.

3. Now if they bring back the Unibass then I'll be a happy camper. :D

4. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    awesome! but dammit i want the unibass back!!

5. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    Not to jack the thread, but what does a used Uni Bass usually go for? Can't find one any way, but thought I would ask.

Oh, and the Deep impact, thats good news too. :D

6. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    what is the Unibass, and what kind of an effect is it?

7. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I know nothing about the Deep Impact. I guess I should investigate this.

Also, your link doesn't work.

8. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    The Deep Impact would be a whole lot nicer if they gave you better control over the sounds. As it is, you can only select from a very limited variety of control parameters. The "concept" is good, no question there. And, the nine sounds you can dial up do have some range of utility, although IMO it's pretty limited.

Ben, a Deep Impact might work nicely with your pedal board. It's a step beyond a Meatball, it's "almost" a synth but isn't quite as flexible as the Meatball in terms of the control of parameters.

I use my Deep Impact for literally "seconds at a time", to capture particular signature sounds, like at the beginning of "Space Truckin'". It's great for that purpose, but I'd still rather have a nice analog synth. :)

9. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    A Unibass provides an octave, a 5th or a 4th up along with your bass sound. You can also add distortion to the "guitar" sound. Its a VERY neat pedal for playing in 3 piece bands. Your guitarist goes to his solo, you kick on the Unibass and play your line, and it sounds like there is a gui**** playing right along in unison with you. I'd love one of those too.

10. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Do you guys think this would be a good pedal to pick up if Im going to mess around playing backup to an electronica kinda thing?

11. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Nevermind. I took the plunge. If Im not satisfied I can probably still get a decent chunk of change for it as long as I sell it quick.

12. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    did akai really bring them back or does this store just have new old stock?

13. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    The only places I found with a quick online search were zzounds and AMS. That makes me think that it was some NOS stuff and not a re-issue

14. I want one

Do they ship to the UK?

15. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I just took the plunge. At $139.95, how can you go wrong?

I currently have a Digitech Synth bass wah, but I was looking for a little more. I've had my eye on these Akais for some time now.

16. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Hmm... it's digital. Not that I'm an anti-digital guy, but I've already got a EH Microsynth, and I dig the analogue sound. Would a Deep Impact be of any service to me, or is it just another cold digital synth?

17. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    All of the reviews I read said the Akai tracks very well (down to low B even!) and the ones that compared it to the EH said it wasnt as mean or agressive sounding. They said it was funkier.

The price is right and if I see that its definetly not going to give me what I want then Ill just pop in on e-bay and make a nice profit before word gets out.

18. TalktoSamson

TalktoSamson

Dec 7, 2004
    Some guy just bought a Deep Impact on eBay for $280 on SUNDAY! What an F*ing mistake that was on his part. Now I don't habve to search and compete to get one of these. I am ecstatic! :bassist:

19. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i'm buying 35 of them just to sell them later.

20. atldeadhead

atldeadhead

Jun 17, 2002
    Georgia
    I saw the same thing! I just ordered one myself. If'n I don't like the sound I figure at the very least it's a good investment :hyper: