1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Did I get older or did my amp get heavier?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pappabass, Sep 19, 2017.

Tags:
  1. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    Time marches on.

A lot of us are playing gigs with no amp at all, due to advances in the PA technology and IEM's.

I certainly still dig a healthy SVT on the backline. GREAT amp. Maybe, the greatest; though I was pretty preferential to my 360.

One certainly can't blame players for keeping things that work. For me, there wasn't a problem with the weight. That's what wheels are for; though the 85 pound lift and jerk might get a bit old at 2AM. For me, the main problem is that I no longer have storage space in the home, nor a vehicle big enough to do the duties. That, and the technical advances in the amps and cabs now make light, low, and loud accessible.

And, I don't think it is done. DSP is coming of age. @Jim Bergantino has shown us an early example with the B|Amp, a killer; and cats are doing gigs with more sophisticated units, like the Kemper. Having virtual SVT projection is going to happen, if it's not there already. Just needs to filter down to the regular cats.

Meanwhile, it's pretty great that you can do "low tech" club dates with a lightweight 212 and 6 pound amplifier. Ain't nothin wrong with that.

GonePlaid and alaskaleftybass like this.
  2. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    This is very intriguing to me... how would something like this be done?

3. bucephylus

Aug 18, 2002
    Well, folks are literally modeling the actual sound field that the SVT and other amps, like the 360, project. Then, that gets digitally emulated. It's kind of like having a recording of a live performance. The technology may or may not be all there yet. But, it's getting close.

4. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois

My Mesa M-6 Carbine head comes in at 25 lbs.
    Add a couple pounds for the Gator rack it's housed in, so roughfully 28 to 29 lbs. for a head that's never failed to bring a smile to my ears!
    Worth every pound!

And besides, after carrying subs, mains, monitors, power amp racks, lights, drums, guitar amps, stands, ect., ect., ect., what's 28 lbs. for a head????

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
    GonePlaid likes this.
  5. Here is the pic I promised. TC Electronics 250w head. The SWR cabs are a pro 12 & a workingmans 15t. I know the cabs have a few years on them but they do sound good. I like the slot port cabs. I think they sound better. The 15 cab weighs 45 lbs. Not that heavy, it usually stays home & I use the 12. It's about 30 lbs. 2017-09-21 14.22.21.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
    GonePlaid, Wicked G and Giffro like this.
  6. Do the RIGHT thing and do the LIGHT thing. At my age, when it comes to my rig, weight is my first priority.

GonePlaid, Giffro, pappabass and 2 others like this.
  7. Yes. As we get older our amps get heavier, our clothes start shrinking, our arms get shorter when we read, and our bladders get smaller. Ask anyone.

GonePlaid, Giffro and btmpancake like this.
  8. Relsom

Relsom Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2013
    The Old Dominion
    And what is this 28lb. 2x12 you speak of my friend?

GonePlaid, SJan3 and RoadRanger like this.
  9. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Revsound.

GonePlaid likes this.
  10. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    Are you sure? Their website lists it as 38 lbs. AFAIK the lightest 2x12 was the GK 212MBE at 34 lbs. I had two at one time.

GonePlaid likes this.
  11. buldog5151bass

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    . You are right. My fat finger hit the wrong key. Great cab though.

GonePlaid likes this.
  12. dawind99

dawind99 Commercial User

Mar 30, 2012
    Revsound.net and Revsound on Facebook
    Owner: Revsound
    The Revsound RS212T is 38lbs (that's T with tweeter) the RS212 is 35. Both have Baltic birch baffles and are thoroughly internally braced.

13. buldog5151bass

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    He can make the cab with Okoume plywood, which is several pounds lighter. That is what I got.

GonePlaid and Son of Wobble like this.
  14. Relsom

Relsom Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2013
    The Old Dominion
    I was going to say.........my Shuttle 112 extensions are light as hell at a claimed 27lbs. I'd like to see a 212 at 28. 38 is quite respectable though....my Berg CN212 is 46.

15. alaskaleftybass

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Schroeder 12+L’s are 24 pounds.

GonePlaid likes this.
  16. RoadRanger

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    Might want to update your website :) .
    EDIT> Looks like you are editing it right now - pretty messed up at the moment.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
    GonePlaid likes this.
  17. RoadRanger

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    The 38 lbs is what was listed on the website as of a couple days ago for the Okourme version sans tweeter. Looks like the website is presently in flux, throwing errors.

GonePlaid likes this.
  18. alaskaleftybass

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Just when we thought computers could do remarkable things-- we're reminded that we really are still in the infancy of the computer age.

19. bucephylus

Aug 18, 2002
    Just when you're u thought it was safe to go in the water....

dawind99 and GonePlaid like this.
  20. alaskaleftybass

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    22jaws-fin.

GonePlaid and bucephylus like this.