1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Did I get older or did my amp get heavier?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pappabass, Sep 19, 2017.

Tags:
  1. FingerDub

FingerDub

Jan 8, 2016
    I'm not gigging with anything less than a 2x12, 1x15 and 1x12 or a 4x10. It has to have massive overhead at any gig. If a "micro rig" can do that, then fine but I've never seen one that could. Even my 2, 1x12 Aguilars barely had enough beef. I'm skeptical about any of that low weight stuff. It seems to be only endorsed by guys who are fed up physically or can't handle the rigors of gigging properly anymore.

GonePlaid and shoot-r like this.
  2. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    :banghead:

GonePlaid and Morrighan like this.
  3. FingerDub

FingerDub

Jan 8, 2016
    Would you ask a brick layer to stop using bricks? Would you ask an artist to stop using paint? Would you stop a banker from dealing with money? Hearing yourself and gigging with real audible, hit you hard bass, are 2 different things.

Son of Wobble likes this.
  4. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Some people love to play but may have problems packing iron. They are no less players for their hindrances. I spent my time in front of SVT/810s and Acoustic 360's. I've literally felt my back, feet and chest vibrate from bass sound waves I was creating. I choose to use lighter weight equipment because it's the trend of the future. Once my bass hits the audience, it is with the same intensity as if I were still playing an SVT double stack. But I understand where you're coming from-- been there done that.

5. FingerDub

FingerDub

Jan 8, 2016
    I know it came off as harsh, but that's not my intention. I want to keep playing for as long as I live and I understand that I may have to sacrifice some time myself. It's not just for me feeling it myself, but my drummer and friends in the audience say that when I run smaller rigs they can tell a difference. In my opinion, nothing else accounts for sheer size and air. I hope to be able to take the rigs I really enjoyed today to the gigs I play when I'm older, but then again I may not be playing heavy metal or hard rock.

6. You came off harsh FingerDub ;). My rig is a 2 x 10" combo (37 lbs.) and a 2 X 10" cabinet (39 lbs.). That is technicallly 500 watts through four 10" speakers and I don't have to lift anything over 40 lbs.........cause I'm old, Dude. I know it's not AS GOOD as a head with a 100 lb cabinet of 4 10's, but it's close enough for rock and rolll!!!!! :bassist:

alaskaleftybass, SJan3 and GonePlaid like this.
  7. Giffro

Giffro

Apr 29, 2017
    South Australia
    After reading the 6 pages on this thread I feel more exhausted than usual and I swear I think I feel a hernia coming on and heaven forbid if I mention my hemorrhoids too from lifting that darn Peavey 120 pound 1820 cab for 26 years. Definately got the idea that a lighter rig is easier on the body and will give my doctor less to do and the wife can stop hearing my aches and pains reports too. Ok i'm convinced..it's the Peavey 1820 cab thats gotta go..bet I could sell it to my ex wife's bass player boyfriend..i'll throw in a truss and butt cushion for a cheap price.

8. The lighter speaker cabinets (usually neo magnets) are often more expensive. Figure out your insurance co-pay for one MRI, and when you do the math, you will see that you will actually be saving money over time.

GonePlaid, Al Kraft, SJan3 and 3 others like this.
  9. GBBSbassist

GBBSbassist I actually play more guitar... Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2010
    Chicago
    The band I play guitar in has 3 ampeg 8x10's. We just kept getting insane deals. In a side project band where the bass player uses my gear, we use my 2 1x12's and I never regret not using a fridge. I'll only ever use those again if we play a very large venue.

It's just not practical for everyone. Something about being able to load/unload my entire rig by myself is nice.

GonePlaid, SJan3 and murphy like this.
  10. GBBSbassist

GBBSbassist I actually play more guitar... Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2010
    Chicago
    I wouldn't wish that pain on my worst enemies!

GonePlaid and Giffro like this.
  11. I am lucky, my daughter-in-law is a chiropractor !

GonePlaid, murphy and SJan3 like this.
  12. Weird. Now I am playing KB. I think a Leslie 122 is more like 125 lb. I still bring one, though the load in/out is easier due to a neo 15 and Ampeg skid rails. The Nord C2D is 57 lb in the "soft" case. Then there's the stand and bench. It is multiple trips.

The bass player (in another band he was guitar, I was bass), plays an AG700 and Berg HDN112, 33 lb total, one trip. I think I went the wrong direction.

cab_grills.JPG

GonePlaid and murphy like this.
  13. Hell yeah! I hope I'm still rocking my 810 and tube head at 64! Amen to the you are only as old as you feel. It's so true.

GonePlaid, bobyoung53, murphy and 4 others like this.
  14. RICH HAGERTY

RICH HAGERTY

Feb 8, 2017
    Many years ago I used 2 B18s about 5 feet away from me on each side and a B15 close to me and dreaded the chore of breaking down and hauling....Now I still have the B15 with the Altec 421A and it weighs about 60 #, but mostly I use a Fender Rumble-150 or a Kustom 12" , both much lighter.
    I've been playing bass for 56 years now and after a while, you realize, you're not as strong as you used to be !!

15. SJan3

SJan3 Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    Whoa! What 212cab weighs 28lbs?
    Edit: ok, saw your follow up post.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
    GonePlaid likes this.
  16. RICH HAGERTY

RICH HAGERTY

Feb 8, 2017
    Yes small world. I still have the B15N purchased "used" in 1968 but sold the 2 B18s in '76 when I split up from 1st wife.
    since then I bought a Fender V, 5 string about 5 years ago, but could not get used to that 5th string (low B), fingers would not cooperate! And then out of nostalgia, I bought the Fender '64 Vintage J bass, 2 years ago which was like the one I had in '63 and sold in '65, but the 34" scale and weight was killing me so I am back to the '65 EB-3 and will NEVER change again! I still get together with 2 old "rockers" like myself every 2 weeks or so and just take along a 12" Kustom for practice, instead of lugging the B15N or the Rumble 150!

GonePlaid and bobyoung53 like this.
  17. Ever own or move a B-15S? I have one and to move it I have to take the head out of it and move the head and cab separately it's so heavy, I think it weighs something like 120 lbs. The B-18 is light compared to it, it pretty much stays in my house.

GonePlaid likes this.
  18. GonePlaid

GonePlaid "It needs a bridge cover" Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2016
    Southeast FL
    Uh-huh, wait'll You get arthritis, tired knees, etc.-and still wanna play. Go to GC and try some-cranked.

Chucky Stiletti, SJan3 and FingerDub like this.
  19. GonePlaid

GonePlaid "It needs a bridge cover" Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2016
    Southeast FL
    It helps having someone to pluck the strings for ya!:smug:

20. SJan3

SJan3 Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    I wouldn't say they're heavy..

Al Kraft and GonePlaid like this.