1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Dingwall Owners Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FroggyOne2, Jan 7, 2008.

Tags:
  1. natbers78

natbers78 Supporting Member

Jun 3, 2006
    Toledo, OH
    TBH, I'm not exactly sure if it's ash or alder...I'm not the original owner. I'm guessing whatever the standard is.
    Pretty excited to get it back and take it out on gigs/rehearsals though. I SO wanted have them ship it back 2nd day, but that was pretty spendy.

2. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    I probably would have sent it there too, but shipping and possible anticipated cross border complications would make it cost prohibitive. I was even considering a refinish but I received a couple of local ball park quotes and I am not willing to pay that much in modifying an already nice bass. Natural is nice too.

natbers78 likes this.
  3. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    Ack. Delivery schedule went from Thursday, to Wednesday, now it is back to Thursday.

kittywithabanjo likes this.
  4. It'll be worth the wait. Took a week for my D Bird to go coast to coast too, and they also flip-flopped the delivery date!

5. monsterthompson

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    Well, FedEx says it is now available for pickup. I guess I will walk through a rip in the space-time continuum when I enter the holding facility this Wednesday afternoon and arrive on Thursday on the other side of the doorway.

6. My Super J is famous. Sort of.

7. monsterthompson

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    Unreal. I mean. Unreal. Like it can’t actually be real.
    3612951B-5045-414C-AB94-38E8D9969064.

GregC, djaxup, Bassgeer and 18 others like this.
  8. DeltaPhoenix

DeltaPhoenix Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Gainesville,FL
    Nice! Congratulations.

I can’t wait for my Purple w/wenge neck to show up.

monsterthompson likes this.
  9. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Did you get an issue yet? That would make great case candy.

Flabzilla and EMoneySC2 like this.
  10. I downloaded it for fun.

DiabolusInMusic and AB Nate like this.
  11. Best color/wood combination :hyper:

Flabzilla likes this.
  12. husky123

husky123 Supporting Member

Jul 6, 2006
    Leesburg, VA
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses and Bergantino Audio Systems
    So glad it made the cross country trip safely! What do you think? :)

monsterthompson likes this.
  13. monsterthompson

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    It’s possibly the “new bass smell” but this might be the best bass I’ve played. The neck reminds me of my Fretless Spector 4 J/MM, which is thin and fast. It plays itself. I’m blown away by the fact that I can play a 3rd diad into a fuzz pedal and still hear the definition. It is brighter than the one MDbass let me play, as expected because of the maple neck vs. wenge. The strings are probably different, too. It’s comfortable as can be. The pickup selection positions are quite useful for changing up tones, though the voices are relatively consistent.

The only issues I could consider complaining about, if I had to, are that the pickups are right where I want to play when using a pick, so I need to mind my pick position to avoid hitting them. Also, because of my injury and handicap, the reach to the 1st fret on the E is a tad long. Not impossible, just a tad. Of course, I’m sure Dingwall didn’t design this bass to account for the unusual chance that a hemiplegic player wanted to give it a go. Actually, the bass has such a nice consistent voice across the fretboard, that my plan is to convert it to BEAD, so I can play higher up the neck.

I’m really pleased. I think I’m going to sell my J, my Stingray, and possibly my Spector 5. I can’t see playing those any more, given a choice. Now, my collection is also too big for my closet, so...

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018 at 9:08 AM
  14. matt11

matt11 Supporting Member

May 19, 2006
    Montreal
    Waited a good twelve months for this beauty I ordered through L&M in Montreal. Orange is my wife’s favorite color.... Only played it at home for a couple hours so far, but I am so amazed at how easy the fanned frets are. Really no significant difficulty adjusting. And the range of sounds! Gonna use it for worship band this week, and for some heavyish rock recording next week. Super psyched.

35679B80-6E18-4856-B159-41972A1357DF. 52FD3174-4436-4642-AD5D-DE93B280CAC0.

nismaniac, Jason42, djaxup and 14 others like this.
  15. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    Nice! Good to see another one in the area.

matt11 likes this.
  16. Bassgeer

Bassgeer Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2011
    Canada
    That is glorious!

Nice! I am playing one of the older orange NG2s with the square pups. Planning on breaking out the router when they come out with the 3 pup conversion kits! Absolutely love this bass, crazy good dollar value for the money, and will be even more versatile with 3 pups!

monsterthompson and matt11 like this.
  17. NaH

NaH

Mar 14, 2010

:headphone:

18. packrat

packrat Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2017
    California
    They should have dug out one of the earliest Dingwalls to appear in that!

B>

19. pbass6811

pbass6811

Nov 10, 2008
    Indy, IN
    I know the white one was an Afterburner, an ABI I’d assume. Was the other one a Prima or a Z?

20. AB Nate

AB Nate Supporting Member

May 28, 2016
    That is a prima

pbass6811 likes this.