1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Dingwall Owners Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FroggyOne2, Jan 7, 2008.

Tags:
  1. NOLA Bass

NOLA Bass Mr. Worst Case Scenario Man Gold Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    New Orleans LA
    Played the Dbird at rehearsal. Absolutely my favorite bass to play. The neck is a dream. Still sort of figuring out what pickup combo I like best.

S-Bigbottom and husky123 like this.
  2. xnewyorka

xnewyorka Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2006
    NYC Area
    Well, he does have to rotate the bass a few degrees on his workbench. :)

Daz JP likes this.
  3. been_effected

been_effected

Mar 18, 2007
    I'm on the fence like I said in earlier posts. On the face of it, I'd prefer the normal 3X pickup selection. I'll judge the Combustion 3X on its merits whenever it arrives though and let my ears be the judge.

Maybe it can be rewired...guessing it'd be the same solderless system.

4. packrat

packrat Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2017
    California
    You want to email the dingwall tech address and let us know what they say. Could be cost of switch from them and some fiddling.

5. bebass

bebass Sho Me Music Commercial User

Sep 3, 2006
    Bolivar, Missouri
    ShoMeMusic.com; Authorized dealer for Bergantino, Dingwall, Darkglass, Genzler, Phil Jones Bass, Quilter, Blackstar, Cort, Traynor, and other
    Yeah, on a Canadian D-bird the Wenge neck is IMO the way to go. Yours almost played itself. Quite frankly I had to force myself to only check it out to make sure everything was perfect and then not play it anymore. The neck just felt SO right.

djaxup likes this.
  6. bebass

bebass Sho Me Music Commercial User

Sep 3, 2006
    Bolivar, Missouri
    ShoMeMusic.com; Authorized dealer for Bergantino, Dingwall, Darkglass, Genzler, Phil Jones Bass, Quilter, Blackstar, Cort, Traynor, and other
    Yes, let your ears tell you. I think you may want to just leave it the way it is. I like this setup.

7. NOLA Bass

NOLA Bass Mr. Worst Case Scenario Man Gold Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    New Orleans LA
    It is so nice, that I found myself contemplating during rehearsal that I need one for standard tuning outside the use of my main band! I was kind of struggling with the tone options though due to factors outside the bass itself. After years of dealing with a variety of rental spaces for rehearsal that all sucked for various reasons, we rehearse at our drummer's house. It is a dedicated bedroom, so great. The knock is it is small and it can get loud. For some reason last night, we were just stupid loud. In such a small room, it can kind of be overwhelming. Plus, I am selling some gear, so had to bring my Fender tube rig there, which normally isn't in the room. On top of that, I had the new Tech 21 DP3x with me for the first time. All those changing variables and I have no clue what pickup setting I'll settle on for the band.

bebass likes this.
  8. Subscript

Subscript Supporting Member

Oct 29, 2006
    Canada
    This talk of DBird pickup selector vs standard pickup selector just makes me disappointed that with three pickups you only have four pickup configurations. Seems like a bit of a waste. Luckily they've made it easy to rewire but that sounds like a lot of effort for something that must be possible with another knob or something.

djaxup likes this.
  9. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    The more I play my 3x's, the more I realize that those 4 options cover a lot of ground. I haven't yet found myself wanting other options. When I first ordered it, I gave a bit of thought on swapping in a 6 position rotary instead to give me 2 more options - my thinking was that there were surely things I'd be missing out on and would "need" or at least want. So far, that hasn't been the case at all.
    This is compounded even farther with the series/parallel switches. Combined with the 4-position rotary and you can pretty much do everything.

Thumper and BuffaloBob4343 like this.
  10. Jeff Roller

Jeff Roller Jeff Roller Gold Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2007
    Maryville, TN
    If anyone needs more options, 5 and 6 way rotary switches are out there.
    I rewired my NG3X using the D-bird 4 way rotary and have everything I need.
    Heck, I don't need the four way, I could just hardwire all three pickups in series and put in a dummy knob, that's where it stays all the time!:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Rotary Switches | stewmac.com

11. BuffaloBob4343

BuffaloBob4343 Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    Me as well! I prefer the neck/bridge parallel jazz position, and rarely stray from that. Occasionally, I will try the neck solo or the MM setting on the 3x or the series or neck solo on the 2x), but I usually go right back to home bass (pun intended;)) for most of the stuff I do. That may change now that I have gotten myself into another band. But I jammed with the new band on Saturday and was just so happy with the tone in my favorite setting, EQ flat.

I find that Sheldon and crew get where the sweespots are, and they have dialed those in so well that I just don't wish I had more settings. But that's just me. Ymmv of course.

AB Nate likes this.
  12. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    I'm in three different recording-only kind of projects (one does recording for some video productions, two "bands" if you will), so I lay heavily on the switches and rotary depending on what is asked. So far, I haven't been asked for anything that I wasn't able to dial in very quickly with the options I have.

TheEmptyCell likes this.
  13. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    Does anyone have or know where I can get a picture of a two pickup SuperP 5 in natural with a black pickguard a rosewood board? I am sure I have some one, but cannot find it.

14. natbers78

natbers78 Supporting Member

Jun 3, 2006
    Toledo, OH
    So close...

IMG_0307.JPG IMG_0309.JPG

Jason42, djaxup, Akami and 3 others like this.
  15. Ti-Ron

Ti-Ron

Aug 25, 2016
    The trans black is tempting!!!!!!!!!

16. TheLowDown33

TheLowDown33 Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2009
    NJ
    Eh, I can almost guarantee that just because you have 6 (or more) options, you may only use 2 or 3 regularly. Most pickups that sound great in a series or parallel configuration tend to lack, or at least concede something, in the other. I think that the relative ease of switching is probably more useful than the extra positions, because you can essentially have a "favorites" list of the best combinations.

AB Nate likes this.
  17. Subscript

Subscript Supporting Member

Oct 29, 2006
    Canada
    I don't doubt they have things figured out but they seem to have figured it out twice. Both setups have two settings that the other doesn't. I agree making it easy is probably more important than having infinite possibilities though.

18. EMoneySC2

EMoneySC2 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Minneapolis, MN
    Just my 2 cents, I think the different pick selector options plays a part in differentiating the D-Bird from the Afterburner-style basses. Dingwall maybe wants more differentiation between the basses than their body shape and finish options.

19. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada

Thanks. I forgot to mention P/J, as that is what I am planning to MOD mine to.

20. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    I don't think that's the case, because you can get the D-bird switching on ABs (my AB6 3x has it, from factory). I think it's literally just different options.