1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Dingwall Owners Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FroggyOne2, Jan 7, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I gotta say - I love recording with the Prima Artist. It is so amazing sounding and a blast to play! I messed up my left shoulder pretty good on Sunday so I'm not playing well at all, but still laying some tracks. I'll have to re-do some sections on these, but just listening to the dry track coming out of the bass, and also the wet track out of my Axe-Fx II is So. Much. Drool.

djaxup, reddavid and BuffaloBob4343 like this.
  2. natbers78

natbers78 Supporting Member

Jun 3, 2006
    Toledo, OH
    Well, give me another week or so and I’ll get you a pic of that too, as this very bass is at Nordstrand right now being turned into a “P/J-ish” w/ Big Split in the bridge and a 3-band pre.

3. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    I was going to bring mine in to local luthier today with the intention of putting the Dingwall bridge J (FDV) in only to realize that I have never seen one with a side jack. They come front loaded from the factory. Are the thin bodies even big enough to go side jacked? And if they are, would the converted third control hole (where the old jack used to be) be too low down (close to the strap pin) and would a side jack interfere with it?

I might just order a pickguard from the factory and go with what they normally do. My preference is a side jack as the tendency for P pickguard to crack or break at the jack. I tend to hold two fingers in front to brace it when pulling the jack out, but you know it's just a matter of time.

4. been_effected

been_effected

Mar 18, 2007
    Got a response back from Jeff:

"It is possible to replace the D-Bird Rotary with the 3X but it will require a new switch assembly, you can't convert the old one. There is soldering involved to replace the switch but the pickup connections are screw terminal."

So, seems like it's something I can always experiment with later if I want. Cool!

packrat likes this.
  5. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    It's probably easier to just replace the whole thing. I swapped one of mine out and I think it took me 5 minutes total. :D

6. packrat

packrat Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2017
    California
    I suspect the non pickup side connectors are soldered. Very tempted to pick up a regular 3x switch to keep as an alternate to my ng3x upgrade kit when it appears.

7. natbers78

Jun 3, 2006
    Toledo, OH
    I’m fairly sure putting the jack in the side of the body is standard practice with this mod. @TheEmptyCell had this done too and I think the jack was moved to the side. He can confirm. I know with mine, I need space for 4 knobs, so Mo has to make another hole in addition to moving the jack to the side of the bass.

TheEmptyCell likes this.
  8. been_effected

been_effected

Mar 18, 2007
    Yeah, this is what I think I'll end up doing long term if I don't totally bond with the D-Bird switching.

9. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    Maybe I will go that route then.

10. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    Carefully planning the route of the router is imperative! (Sorry, couldn't resist the pun opening ;))

11. bebass

bebass Sho Me Music Commercial User

Sep 3, 2006
    Bolivar, Missouri
    ShoMeMusic.com; Authorized dealer for Bergantino, Dingwall, Darkglass, Genzler, Phil Jones Bass, Quilter, Blackstar, Cort, Traynor, and other
    Route of the Router - new band name :)

spiritbass and BuffaloBob4343 like this.
  12. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Banned

Yes, @maurilio Mo recommended moving the jack to the side.

P basses look weird with more than 3 things on the pickguard, whether it's two pots and a jack or three pots no jack.

13. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    @TheEmptyCell, do you have any pictures of your side jack routing and general control area?

I was contemplating what knobs to use. I initially swapped out the originals with Tele/Precision flat top chrome knurled knobs, but I really like to have a line indication on my position settings, especially for the pickup selector and tone controls. I was trying hard to find the same style but with easily visible lines. I ended up finding these Kilo International JD Series knobs. They're the Sadowsky-style knobs, but in a metal finish. I am really happy I found them and didn't know they came in something other than black (with a white line). They are what I have on my SJ5 and I love them; good quality and easy to read.

Attached Files:

14. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Banned

I did not take any photos of my own before putting the bass back together, but here's one Mo sent before it went to the painter. He did the bridge pickup routing and shielding paint; looks like it came like this from the factory.
    bass pre paint.JPG

Those knobs look nice. My SPj5 is still only wearing two knobs because I don't have one that fits the shaft of the Tone Fusion pot. Since I plan on swapping this out for a No-Load Tone pot at some point, I'm not too worried, but I'll be switching to Tele-style flat top barrel knobs at some point for that classic P look.

15. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    Thanks! Any of the completed job (fully assembled)? :)

16. natbers78

Jun 3, 2006
    Toledo, OH
    @Smallmouth_Bass...Mo finished up my bass and just sent these to me a few minutes ago. You can kind of make out the side mounted jack in a couple of the photos.

d1. d3. d4. d2.

Flabzilla and Akami like this.
  17. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    Nice! With all those controls, I am assuming there is a preamp in there?

18. natbers78

Jun 3, 2006
    Toledo, OH
    Yes sir...3 band.

19. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    Cool! I see they have centred the side jack to come out between the last two control knobs. It looks good. I think I will do the same.

Is your body ash? Mine is more subdued and yellowish and is alder.

20. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    Hurry up, FedEx!
    Is it the end of the day yet?!