1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Dingwall Owners Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FroggyOne2, Jan 7, 2008.

Tags:
  1. bebass

bebass Sho Me Music Commercial User

Sep 3, 2006
    Bolivar, Missouri
    ShoMeMusic.com; Authorized dealer for Bergantino, Dingwall, Darkglass, Genzler, Phil Jones Bass, Quilter, Blackstar, Cort, Traynor, and other
  2. I love the look of those swirls. It's like Sheldon stuck a spoon in it while it was still liquid and stirred it around!

Akami likes this.
  3. reddavid

reddavid Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Wayne, PA
    Waltsdog likes this.
  4. Waltsdog

Waltsdog Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2009
    Ottawa, ON
    reddavid likes this.
  5. SgtAlexx

SgtAlexx

Feb 27, 2013
    Me too...

reddavid likes this.
  6. Me three! And I have gone completely longscale. The fact that it's a fiver and a JP just sucks you in, doesn't it?:thumbsup:

7. reddavid

Oct 11, 2001
    Wayne, PA
    Thx. Someone is going to get a great bass. The trans white is really nice. Creamy but you can just see the wood grain below. Oh. And it sounds good too?!

KentClarkOnBass likes this.
  8. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    I have virtually the same bass, only mine is white and has the skunk stripes on the back of the neck. I even converted it to a PJ as well. It's my #1 bass.

BuffaloBob4343 likes this.
  9. KentClarkOnBass

KentClarkOnBass Supporting Member

Not that I currently have the cash for this, but let's say it was within reach sometime soon... how significant is the difference between the longscales and the not-quite-as-longscales? Does this price seem reasonable to those who know? All my Dingwall desires come from playing someone else's Combustion for about five minutes...

10. The differences in the neck profiles are minor, but noticeable. But both are awesome. The long-scales just have such incredible B strings and I prefer them. But the short-scales are just as awesomely executed, and may be more comfortable to some. The long-scales just work for me ergonomically.

11. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada

In my opinion, it is quite significant. When in the standing position, the Super Series basses feel about 3 positions shorter, so there is less of a reach on the neck. I personally find the biggest adjustment is the string spacing. The Super Series is 19mm and the "regulars" are 18mm.

If low end clarity is your ultimate goal, you cannot beat the 37" B-string. The Super Series basses have respectable B-strings, but are very consistent in tone across the board. I prefer the medium scale G-string tone of the Super Series (32"), but prefer the tone of the B-string of the regulars (37", versus 35" of the Supers).

12. reddavid

Oct 11, 2001
    Wayne, PA
    I think @Smallmouth_Bass is spot on. I started about 15 yrs ago with an ABII. Bubinga/Wenge. Honestly that was one of the best I’ve played. I was dumb and thought I needed something better. Went through a Z3 and a 6 string fretless and a cocobolo 5 string fretless. I thought the “reach” was too much on the long scale so I went all in on Super. The P/J which is super fun to play and a super P fretless. Thought I was done. Then I got the best bass ever made (IMO) which is the Prima Artist. Now I’m back to a mix of long and short scale. I trade the Super P fretless to the guy I sold the cocobolo fretless. Now I’m 2 Long scale and 1 Super. As much as I love the PA I don’t want to take that out to every gig. I manage to wrestle the ABHS (bubinga/Wenge?!) from @xnewyorka so now I’m all long scale. Full circle.

Moral of the story: Dingwalls are great and there are many options out there to experience. Do it!

13. NaH

NaH Supporting Member

Mar 14, 2010
  14. packrat

packrat Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2017
    California
    just got word that one AU dealer expects NG 3X upgrade kits to arrive within a couple of weeks. Woohoo!

Bassgeer and BuffaloBob4343 like this.
  15. I started with the same model and woods. It had the FD1s and a mahogany body, bubinga top and neck. Wish I could have that one back as well. I didn't go all in on the Super Series, but did have a Super P that was gorgeous but I just prefer the ergonomics of the long scale. It's great because committing to the single platform has allowed me to become super comfortable now.

16. AB Nate

AB Nate Supporting Member

May 28, 2016
    Bass to bass is a different Dingwall experience. Every Dingwall experience has desirable factors. You have to decide what factors matter the most to you. For me it’s the Z neck(playability).
    Tone comes 2nd and I can say that with confidence because every single Dingwall I have played, if it wasn’t satisfactory when it reached my hands, I found a way to find some sweetness before it leaves them.
    I ran through my line up last night. 6 string Z with some dying stainless steels, then the new Z 5 string with I think payson medium lights(@xnewyorka can you correct me here if I’m wrong.) then on to my SJ 5 with newish nickels. When I got to the SJ i didn’t expect to get as much satisfaction tonally as I did.

Not that I was expecting to be let down by the SJ just that it was following up to 2 amazing Zs. Needless to say it did not disappoint.

My long winded point is figure out what you want in a bass and give it a go. As mentioned, you may nail what you wanted right then but your desires may change. There are some SUPER options in the classifieds right now including the one you mentioned.

Good luck.

Ps. With my newest acquisition and another long scale on the way I was almost to the conclusion I was gonna part with the SJ..... after playing it again last night I feel there is no Fn way she’s going anywhere if that says anything about how I feel from SUPER to long scale. Both incredible. Period.

17. AB Nate

AB Nate Supporting Member

May 28, 2016
    Also, anyone looking for Dingwall pick guards. I’ve seen that there are a couple on reverb right now. Supers and combustion’s I believe.

TheEmptyCell and nismaniac like this.
  18. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    My ABII is mahogany body and bubinga top and neck too. I don't know if they're FD1's or not, all I know is they sound good. That bass started it all.

All this talk of long scale versus Super Series scale has re-piqued my interest in a split the difference model: 5-string 36" to 33" (with 18mm spacing). Not like Sheldon & Co. have enough work on their hands!

BuffaloBob4343 likes this.
  19. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    Yeah, I thought I was 'set' with my Supers. Then I was helping @bebass at his booth and got my hands on some Combustion/NG's and decided that I needed to live with one for a while. Playing my four-string NG-2 is very fun and satisfying to me.:cool:

20. Charlzm

Charlzm Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA