1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Dingwall Owners Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FroggyOne2, Jan 7, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Funk

Funk

Dec 23, 2008
    Hey guys, quick question. What would have a higher string tension, a 5 string or a 6 string bass? Or is there little to no difference?

2. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    It doesn't matter how many strings it has. String length and thickness are what matter.

Funk, Waltsdog, GregC and 1 other person like this.
  3. xnewyorka

xnewyorka Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2006
    NYC Area
    That depends whether you mean tension as felt by the player when plucking a single string, or if you mean tension as felt by the neck.

The more strings, the more tension felt by the neck.
    But string thickness and other construction characteristics affect the string string tension of each string, completely independent of the number of strings present on the instrument. I believe the mass of the string is an important factor, but someone who is a physicist can correct me if I'm wrong or elaborate on that. I have always been curious about that.

I believe a well-designed set of strings is designed to have roughly equal tensions across all the strings when tuned to pitch for the scale length for which the strings were designed. That is why you need heavier strings to tune lower. Because the additional mass makes them vibrate more slowly without needing to de-tension them as much.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
  4. reddavid

reddavid Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Wayne, PA
    Family Photo: ABII Walnut/Cocobolo, Jatoba/Ebony neck Fretless; Prima Artist, the works; AB HS Bubinga, Wenge/Wenge neck.

IMG_0422.JPG
    Cat approved (hard to pick a favorite):
    IMG_0418.JPG

matt11, Akami, nismaniac and 12 others like this.
  5. NaH

NaH Supporting Member

Mar 14, 2010
    I'd say the cat is going for the Prima. If a cat approves, you know you're good, 'cause cats are snobs.

AB Nate likes this.
  6. bebass

bebass Sho Me Music Commercial User

Sep 3, 2006
    Bolivar, Missouri
    ShoMeMusic.com; Authorized dealer for Bergantino, Dingwall, Darkglass, Genzler, Phil Jones Bass, Quilter, Blackstar, Cort, Traynor, and other
    Whoa! REALLY nice!

7. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Last night we played until torrential rains stopped the show. Our gear is all drying out currently (we were well covered but high winds and horizontal rain made real cover impossible). My strings were cooked anyway, so today was a good day to change them out. Here's what 65ish shows so far in 2018 looks like for my NG3 fretboard. Remember, I bought this bass as a player, not to sit around on a stand. It's been playing in inhospitable conditions since January. I also use this for rehearsal, but not for home practice.

This is after cleaning...so the staining is actually through the finish and into the wood:
    IMG_4428.

IMG_4425.

I've also played the finish off the bottom side of the fretboard roll, and soon it will be the back of the neck. The rastaburst by comparison has a thicker fretboard finish, but I've worn through the back of the neck. Some of the pickguard and pickup screws are also well in on being corroded.

Off to do more damage...Southern run this weekend in VA and NC.

8. Lowendtech

Lowendtech Trending in no particular direction Supporting Member

:smug:These pics reminded me of one of the “Do you like Relics” threads. Wear it well Skies. No Dremel required.

AB Nate likes this.
  9. AB Nate

AB Nate Supporting Member

May 28, 2016
    Surely it’ll pay for itself quick at that workload. Nice work.

BuffaloBob4343 likes this.
  10. Bassheart365

Bassheart365 Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2014
    Northern California aka Paradise
    "Jazz is not dead. It just smells funny."

11. The epitome of indifference. :D

AB Nate likes this.
  12. Killer trio right there! And classy backdrop.

13. That's some true mo!

BurningSkies likes this.
  14. I sometimes pinch myself, because I can't believe this bass is mine. It's too good to be true! Occasionally I just take it out of the gigbag to bask in its glory.

Attached Files:

lo-freq, reddavid, Lowendtech and 8 others like this.
  15. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    I usually leave a couple of mine on stands so my eyes can occasionally admire them... playable beauties, they are... :)

nismaniac and BuffaloBob4343 like this.
  16. Playable art indeed!

Though I only have one bass. I'm very much a one bass-kind of person.

spiritbass likes this.
  17. Bassheart365

Bassheart365 Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2014
    Northern California aka Paradise
    "Jazz is not dead. It just smells funny."
    You had me at bubinga and wenge :)

BuffaloBob4343 and AB Nate like this.
  18. Best neck I've ever had the pleasure of playing.

19. Me too! And they just beckon you put hands on them!!

spiritbass likes this.
  20. +10000000000