1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dingwall Owners Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FroggyOne2, Jan 7, 2008.

Tags:
  1. bebass

bebass Sho Me Music Commercial User

Sep 3, 2006
    Bolivar, Missouri
    ShoMeMusic.com; Authorized dealer for Bergantino, Dingwall, Darkglass, Genzler, Phil Jones Bass, Quilter, Blackstar, Cort, Traynor, and other
    I was just billed for a very high tariff and am freakin out. I had heard the same thing you did; perhaps an agent got over anxious and jumped the gun. I am just pissed right now. Please disregard until I find out WTH. I know that one major music importer (not Dingwall) went up by up to 20% September 1st; I received new pricing notification.

2. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    I think some tariffs were delayed to December 15, but others went into effect September 1.

3. Tried D-bird Standard today. Not quite my cup of tea, soundwise. I missed a neck and bridge mode. Played through a Super Bassman, which was good, but I prefer my Sunn 300T over it. It didn't have quite the same touch responsiveness and gain character I get from the Sunn.

BassikBrad and EMoneySC2 like this.
  4. The store had a few Dingwalls.
    20190918_165822. 20190918_165825.

GregC and EMoneySC2 like this.
  5. bebass

Sep 3, 2006
    Bolivar, Missouri
    ShoMeMusic.com; Authorized dealer for Bergantino, Dingwall, Darkglass, Genzler, Phil Jones Bass, Quilter, Blackstar, Cort, Traynor, and other
    So it turns out that it is like I thought on September 1; we are now paying 20% tariff into USA for Chinese manufactured bass guitars. Someone told me a week or so ago that this had been postponed...not true per US Customs office. In effect. 20%. 4 basses just cost me a bundle. I am so mad about this. But 200 years from now it won't make any difference, so that is the good news. For anyone thinking this was different, even the customs guy said they were just as confused as the public.

6. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Ugh. I don't want to turn this political at all. I'm ASSuming you'll basically turn around and pass that onto the buyer though, no?

BuffaloBob4343 likes this.
  7. EMoneySC2

EMoneySC2 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Minneapolis, MN
    That's how tariffs work by definition. It's a tax on buyers. Unfortunate!

8. Will this apply to Combustions, or is it possible they'll be exempt because they're finished up in Canada? Seems like imposing tariffs on anything with Chinese components from any country is a stretch, but what do I know...

9. bebass

Sep 3, 2006
    Bolivar, Missouri
    Yes, it.will. I was just charged the 20 % for these.

10. kittywithabanjo

kittywithabanjo Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2014
    Coquitlam. BC
    You can claim a portion of the cost as Canadian made but it's likely a procesess. Some tool makers "assemble" in the USA to work around this a bit and to be able to claim US made.

11. Damn, that sucks. Probably pushes my next Dingwall further into the future. Although it's entirely possible this situation will find some kind of resolution by the time I have money saved up.

Huh. Makes me wonder if Dingwall could actually lower the end cost in the US by doing a little more work in-house... not like they're already busy or anything.;)

I wonder what Sheldon's take on this is.

12. xnewyorka

xnewyorka Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2006
    NYC Area
    Seems to me the most generous yet fair thing to do would be to say to the buyers, "I'm sorry, but this tarriff was just added to your purchase. It's out of my control. If you need to cancel the transaction because of it, you can do that with no penalty, and I will sell it to someone else."

Other options include:
    1. You eat it. Totally not fair to you.
    2. You split it with the buyer. Totally generous of you, but uncalled for, and still unfair to you.
    3. You force the buyer to pay it in order to get their bass, and you don't let them out of the deal. This is the most fair to you, but may piss off some buyers anyway even though it's not your fault.

FWIW, if I were the buyer, I would just suck it up and pay you the tarriff, and I'd also write to my Senator and Congressperson and tell them what the direct impact was on me, and tell them I'm not the least bit happy about this.

BuffaloBob4343, Nowyn and AB Nate like this.
  13. xnewyorka

xnewyorka Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2006
    NYC Area
    Good point - they could have China send them boxes of unassembled bass parts. A neck, a body, and a set of strings. Three parts. :)

14. AB Nate

AB Nate Supporting Member

May 28, 2016
    I’m sorry how this affects your business Michael and hopefully rectifications happen globally to smooth things out.

That said, this is a slippery topic for this forum.

MJ5150 likes this.
  15. bebass

Sep 3, 2006
    Bolivar, Missouri
    This is a topic about the forum topic of these basses; a topic concerning the purchasing of these basses in the USA. It doesn’t effect other countries but I would think those in the USA would want to know. I have made no political mention and I suggest no one else does either. I did tell the truth like I always do. And thought the customs agent response that they were just as confused as the public quite appropriate a response from them. Customs agents are not political, they have a job they are doing and I thought players would want to know what they said. My personal agitation is that I am well over $1000 poorer than I was last week; a non-political fact.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2019
  16. Jeff Roller

Jeff Roller Jeff Roller Gold Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2007
    Maryville, TN
    MJ5150 likes this.
  17. AB Nate

AB Nate Supporting Member

May 28, 2016
    Absolutely And it is appreciated you presenting the facts to us here. It was not a topic I was following closely as it hasn’t had any major impact on my existence.

I was just making mention that it’s probably not a topic the REST OF US (as per some comments already made) should follow down on. What it is.

Again, much respect for you and I try to direct traffic your way in the USA when the opportunity presents itself. Sucks for the impact on you.

BuffaloBob4343 likes this.
  18. bebass

Sep 3, 2006
    Bolivar, Missouri
    I fail to see, as mentioned in my post above, that the topic is a political one. I guess only if people don’t know how to act on a forum, and follow forum rules, would it turn into a political topic. It is a factual topic that grown people should be able to discuss. We shouldn’t throw away facts just because they ARE informative facts. No reason this should be political.

19. Jeff Roller

Jeff Roller Jeff Roller Gold Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2007
    Maryville, TN
    Wasn't referencing your post. I agree we should be able to have a discussion, especially as it affects our wallets. Just reminding we don't want the conversation shut down if it veers into political discourse.

20. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    I am very curious as to how this affects Chinese Dingwalls sent to the US. I’m not sure whether a Canadian setup helps them avoid the tariff. It seems to me they might still be a product of China.