1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dingwall Owners Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FroggyOne2, Jan 7, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Deal is happening on Saturday. I'm excited to get it back.

2. ThisYouCanTrust

ThisYouCanTrust

Jun 10, 2019
    I can understand.
    It still seems like a strange deal to me, it's a real gem you have now, and one which will never be made again at that.
    The super just seems like another super, unless I'm missing something ?

3. Ryno1330

Ryno1330

Jan 14, 2020

Here's a pic (gratuitous pic with all my basses actually). It's a 3x btw and so far my favorites are the neck soled and whatever the position 3 is (parallel neck/bridge I think).

And bittersweet NBD actually. There's something wrong with the electronics. At first when I switched it to passive there there was no sound. I opened it up and checked connections and must have moved something because that's gone but it's noisy in active mode (electronic buzz or hum). All the rest of those basses pictured including the single coil jazz are dead quiet in the same rig. I really don't want to have to ship this back but probably have no choice :(

4. Honestly? I'm just a P-bass kind of person. While the ABHS is beyond amazing, I'm having a hard time finding "my" tone in it. To a lesser extent I also miss the 19 mm spacing of the Super.

5. ThisYouCanTrust

ThisYouCanTrust

Jun 10, 2019
  6. ThisYouCanTrust

ThisYouCanTrust

Jun 10, 2019
    Yeah but most of the private US sellers are not willing to send overseas :(
    Otherwise I'd buy stuff all the time, the used prices in the EU are such a ripoff ...

7. TBH though, I find Dingwall and Spector to not sound anywhere close to alike. Especially neck-through Spectors. Totally different animals IMO, both amazing in their own right.

8. ThisYouCanTrust

ThisYouCanTrust

Jun 10, 2019
    True, of course. I'm not a guy who has just one tone in mind though ;) I love many .. too many for my wallet probably.

The_Owl and jellew like this.
  9. Lowend65

Lowend65 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2006
    San Jose, CA
    Update -
    I've pulled the Dunlops off the bass and gone back to the Payson's.
    I could never get the right sound or feel out of the Dunlops, to the point it was making me wonder what was wrong with my playing. No amount of amp tweaking ever got it right.
    This is doubtless a reflection of my personal preferences, not the quality of the strings.
    Or maybe a reflection of just how much work went into making the Payson's right.

AB Nate and Blues Cat like this.
  10. BassikBrad

BassikBrad Bass Face Brad Supporting Member

Mar 28, 2018
    Las Vegas. New Mexico
    Yeah, I love the Payson Nickel rounds, can't believe how stupid I was to wait over 12 months before trying them.

Blues Cat likes this.
  11. packrat

packrat Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2017
    Sydney, Australia
    I’d suggest emailing tech@dingwall first.

AB Nate and Ryno1330 like this.
  12. NOLA Bass

NOLA Bass Mr. Worst Case Scenario Man Gold Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    New Orleans LA
    Endorsing artist: Bergantino Audio Systems
  13. NaH

NaH Supporting Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Sheldon Q&A on Facebook Live at 11am CST on Fri, Feb 14th.

14. AB Nate

AB Nate Supporting Member

May 28, 2016

Shoot. Sorry to hear that. mad mentioned send tech an email before anything else or talk to your dealer.

How do the knobs look and rotate? Any wobble or stiffness as if it’s been hit?
    Can you snap a clear photo of the cavity?

side note: your pick up selector goes like this:
    Position
    1.towards the neck. Neck Pup only
    2.B/N in parallel
    3.B/M in series
    4.towards the bridge. BRidge pup only

15. Ryno1330

Ryno1330

Jan 14, 2020
    I heard back from the tech and he said what I explained sounds like a grounding issue and they are happy to pay to have a local tech take care of it so I don't have to ship it (also Music Zoo where I purchased it was willing as well) so overall a small issue and good customer service. I buy and sell a lot of stuff and I know things happen.

Otherwise I love the bass. I'm getting used to the length but the plus side is my stingrays feel like toys after I play it!

S-Bigbottom and BuffaloBob4343 like this.
  16. xnewyorka

xnewyorka Owner, John Fox Bass Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 26, 2006
    NYC Area
    Owner, John Fox Bass
    The issue of no sound in passive mode is very strange - hard to see how that could happen.
    It was like that from the beginning? What style of plug was on the instrument end of your cable?
    Having no sound in active mode is the more common issue, caused by the cable not being 100% fully inserted into the jack, which can easily happen with an angled plug or a cable with a fat oversized plug housing.

The buzz you are now getting sounds like maybe a ground wire got detached. Do you see any disconnected wires anywhere? Maybe upload some close-up photos of the cavity from various angles?
    Can you use an ohm-meter to confirm you have conductivity from the strings to the ground (shield) on your jack?

17. ThisYouCanTrust

ThisYouCanTrust

Jun 10, 2019
    Can I see this somewhere if I don't have facebook ?

singlemalt likes this.
  18. singlemalt

singlemalt Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2007
    White Salmon, WA
    No face book here either.

19. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Syracuse Ut
    Nope no Facebook or Twitter here