1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dingwall Owners Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FroggyOne2, Jan 7, 2008.

Tags:
  1. kittywithabanjo

kittywithabanjo Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2014
    Coquitlam. BC
    Ugh a PJ id love one of those..

2. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    I’d never in a million years part with my SPJ5. One of these days I’ll have a long-scale Dingwall again, but the SP covers everything I do at the moment.

3. Ryno1330

Ryno1330

Jan 14, 2020
    Hi all! New owner here. Funny enough I thought I was getting a NG2 but got a NG3 (which I'm fine with). Without having to run through 1000 pages can anyone tell me what the common mods are for switching options on an NG3 if I end up deciding to change them (ie the classic NG2 series tone)? Thanks.

J R Knots and xnewyorka like this.
  4. Tankdave

Tankdave

Dec 2, 2009
    Wilts, UK
    First check if it has a D-Bird selector or a 3X one, Dingwall have been using both versions. Its printed on the circuit board.

The 3X one will be closer to what you expect.

BTW The search function should prevent you needing to read all the pages here

5. Ryno1330

Ryno1330

Jan 14, 2020
    I'll check that out. I searched ng3 mods and got 5 hits, none of which were very helpful. If you have a better search term I'd appreciate it.

6. guitarbrent

guitarbrent

Feb 16, 2016
    Virginia
    What an amazing collection!

Do you have your ABZs tuned differently or have one strung with different strings? Just wondering how you are using the 6 vs the 5, given that they appear to be quite similar.

pbass6811 likes this.
  7. AB Nate

AB Nate Supporting Member

May 28, 2016
    Pop the back plate off and look at the pick up selector switch. It will say 3x or DB.

welcome to the club. Pics of the new axe?!

Andyman001 likes this.
  8. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    The only one I really have any interest in adding to my pile is a SPJ5. In that dark candy metallic green.

9. pbass6811

pbass6811 Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Indy, IN
    Thanks! I appreciate that! Yes, they are tuned differently. I keep one in standard and one tuned down a half step. As I get more comfortable with the 6er, I'll figure out which one will get tuned which way, as most of my night is spent in standard tuning. The 5er, the 6er, and the incoming 4, are all very similar by design. MY gigging bassist philosophy is- find one bass that covers all the sonic ground you need/want/desire, and buy multiples of that if you can. This way, when I switch basses, the only thing that changes is the amount of notes that I have available, LOL! Although, the NG-3 is still more aggressive sounding than my ABZs...:thumbsup:

xnewyorka likes this.
  10. packrat

packrat Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2017
    Sydney, Australia
    Which length fits?

B>

11. Tankdave

Tankdave

Dec 2, 2009
    Wilts, UK
    The Pickups have two coils and as so can be wired in either Series or Parallel.

They ship in Series, I changed mine to Parallel, its less dark but note definition is much better but this is all very subjective. It's a worthwhile experiment that costs nothing, works on other basses too.

Ryno1330 likes this.
  12. Chrishi87

Chrishi87

Aug 17, 2010
    Bremen
    Search for "wiring" ... about 1000 Posts about it :)

I´ve done it. I ordered a 3x Switch. I am happy, but I really want to try the other possibilities.
    And I think about adding the 3xSP Switch too...

13. Tankdave

Tankdave

Dec 2, 2009
    Wilts, UK
    Try the wiring manually, you might only like series or parallel, so you can just leave it set to your preference.

The paint chips so easily when drilling, as I found out when fitting a rear strap pin on mine. I would try to avoid it.

I have the wiring diagrams for 2X & 3X series/parallel options if you want them?

Chrishi87 likes this.
  14. Ryno1330

Ryno1330

Jan 14, 2020
    Thanks! Is the S/P an easy mod or not something you can do yourself?

15. packrat

Mar 6, 2017
    Sydney, Australia
    It involves new holes in your bass.

B>

Ryno1330 likes this.
  16. packrat

Mar 6, 2017
    Sydney, Australia
    Well. I happened to be offered a Super PJ4 in a trade this week, but I'd just put brand new rounds on my super P. One clean and string transplant later, the SuperPJ4 is resplendant with the bass boomers, while the P4 has some Chromes I had lying around while I decide what friendier flats I might want to try. Or I could just buckle and put TI flats on when I figure out exactly which set to buy.

17. whirledpeas

whirledpeas Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2010
    Sittin' Here in Limbo
    I’ll have to double check if I still have the packaging. I want to say they are just the normal TIJF345 pack, but I’m not 100% sure b/c it’s been a couple years.

You might want to ask Jason at Fret Nation. I’m sure he could confirm best set and hook you up.

I should say that I think I had a bad low B the first time I tried a well used set. I ended up buying another low B and it had much better tension and definition.

18. packrat

Mar 6, 2017
    Sydney, Australia
    Cool. I"ve asked fretnation but possiby they're busy answering everyone else's questions, as no reply yet.

19. singlemalt

singlemalt Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2007
    White Salmon, WA
    591A5F4C-655F-4A3D-8254-4DF95D07753B.jpeg Standard five string set of TI flats fits fine.

You might need shorter saddle screws to get the whopping .136 B down where you want it.

I liked TI flats E-C even better.

20. ThisYouCanTrust

ThisYouCanTrust

Jun 10, 2019
    Sometimes I almost regret not having facebook ..