Dingwall Owners Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FroggyOne2, Jan 7, 2008.

Tags:
  1. shade_1313

shade_1313

May 31, 2005
    I was showing my son what I mean when I talk about a bass’ balance, and what neck dive is. I showed him that his new Squier mini P drops to about dead level (straight horizontal neck), but it takes some body jiggles to do it. I showed him how my ESP LTD B-206’ neck just diiiives down, and then…my D-Roc, my gold standard of balance. He was noticeably impressed when I let it go, and jumped around. “It just stays put!”

Sheldon D. and IvanBassist like this.
  2. shade_1313

shade_1313

May 31, 2005
    Yay, another Ferrari Greenie in the house!

I love mine so much, and definitely recommend the three-pickup. I’m really tempted by the six-way, but a little hesitant.

3. TTA

TTA

Jun 10, 2021
    cool idea. The skb-44 is 40$ more so i might go that way. I will also see if it fits the universal casr i have for my jazz. Not like i will be moving them all at once.

4. TTA

TTA

Jun 10, 2021
    Yeah i did a lot of listening in demos online with a good set of headphones and the two is all i really need. Bridge and middle in series is nice!

Three get you closer to p and j bass sounds however. But i have a j bass and i dont want or need to replicate them. As a ricenbacker guy, i am happy to have a bass with its own voice.

BurningSkies likes this.
  5. TTA

TTA

Jun 10, 2021
    Some are very concerned about light basses. But often when chasing a light bass, we actually contribute to neck dive as the body is the easiest place to drop weight.

Imho no bass feels heavier than a bass with neck dive. I will take a well balanced heavy bass over a light one with neck dive any day. So much more comfortable over a playing session.

6. vivaknoxvegas

vivaknoxvegas El Duderino Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    Has anyone changed to a clear pick guard on a NG-3? I see quickguards has one.

7. shade_1313

shade_1313

May 31, 2005
    I’d be interested in seeing what that looks like, although I really think the Ferrari Green looks best with that bright solid green broken up with the pickguard.

If I do get my next idea (NG-3 six in Black Forest Green, factory set up to F# standard), I saw a pickguard that they had that I think would look fantastic with that color.

vivaknoxvegas likes this.
  8. TTA

TTA

Jun 10, 2021
    I wont lie. The ng sports car inspiration has me thinking of ideas from a few of my cars.

i could do the m3 buying a white ng and adding the vinyl.

the 911 could be gold with two gold stripes and a satin black pickguard. I could get the brown leather and plaid with a custom strap. Hmmm…

DE824314-9DC8-44DA-A337-EE99A5BE1FED.jpeg FBB6150E-0EC2-44BB-BA3D-4EEC32259714.jpeg DB3CA620-93F5-4410-9A31-07B2768300B6.jpeg

Sheldon D., Flabzilla and AB Nate like this.
  9. johnsonabq

johnsonabq Watch out where the huskies go... Supporting Member

Dec 12, 2011
    Albuquerque, NM
    My D-Bird is a dream. Not just balance, but light weight too. I've never had a bass in 50 years of playing that was so light. I can't wait for my new D-Roc fiver standard to come in. It's gonna be my "working" bass.

SemiDriven, Sheldon D., PaulS and 2 others like this.
  10. My D-roc Standard 5 will be my main working bass too. At least that's the plan.

johnsonabq likes this.
  11. Laklandfan

Laklandfan Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2010
    New Orleans, LA
    I just picked up a passive ABII, it’s got a 4 way selector; is there a way to tell what each position is?

12. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    With a two pickup model from clockwise all the way forward to back is:

Bridge, Bridge/Neck in Parallel, Bridge/Neck in Series, Neck

Laklandfan likes this.
  13. Laklandfan

Oct 15, 2010
    New Orleans, LA
    Are 3 pickups the same? It seems one position is little louder and less clear, I’m guessing that’s the series spot?

14. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    You are correct. There are two switch options for a 3X bass. You'll have to open up the control plate and look to see which one yours is. It will be marked as to if it's a standard 3X or a D-Roc switch.

shapeimage_1.png

15. alembicbones

alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    I think I'm probably still about a year or so out from completion of my ABI 5 string. The above pickup selector graphic above got me thinking as to how I'll be set Dingwall-wise. My NG-3 is one of the first with the rounded pickups and it has the D-bird pickup selector. My ABI will have the standard 3X selector. That in combination with the NG-3 w/ the DGTC and the ABI with the Glockenclang will give me two very different animals.

Bones

16. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    oooo I didn't know you were getting an AB1. Spill the details on it! I can't wait to see it.
    We're getting quite the contingency of Dingwalls up here. We could have our own little Dingwall get together and compare notes.

17. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    There's no right or wrong choice with the switches. I think everyone will have a take about which switch works best for what options and tones they want on the table when they play.

I have (and chose) the 3X switch so I could have both the neck/bridge parallel as well as the bridge/middle series settings. I was less concerned with the single pickup choices and felt that the 'two-in-series' settings on my two pick-up basses were as full and thick as I could use in my playing settings.

Laklandfan likes this.
  18. Laklandfan

Oct 15, 2010
    New Orleans, LA
    The ABII even in 5 string is very light, how heavy are the 4 sting AB 1 and 2s normally?

19. alembicbones

alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    So here are the details:
    ABI 5 string
    Green to Purple Burst over Flamed Maple
    Maple neck and fingerboard with purple speedos
    3X pickups with Parallel/Series switches
    Glockenklang Preamp

I'm still very happy with my NG-3 but a couple of years ago, there was an ABI at the Bass Shop. I tried it out and was seriously impressed. I almost pulled the trigger but for various reasons didn't. I didn't forget it though. Then, last November, the stars and the moon aligned and I placed my order. In retrospect I think I'm going about this the right way. I've ordered two other custom basses over the years (Alembic and Sadowsky) and when spending this kind of money, it really makes sense to get all the details exactly right. I think this Dingwall build hits everything that I want.

Now I just need to remain patient.

Bones

AB Nate, PaulS and Selta like this.
  20. johnsonabq

johnsonabq Watch out where the huskies go... Supporting Member

Dec 12, 2011
    Albuquerque, NM
    Is there a way to use a D-Roc switch, but change the bridge/middle (parallel) to bridge/middle (series)?
    Or is that baked into the switch? I can't switch to a 3X because I'm putting a P-Tone in the middle position and I want to solo that.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 30, 2021