1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Do you name your basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SunByrne, Oct 6, 2019.

1. Bruiser Stone

Bruiser Stone Supporting Member

Dec 7, 2017
    Tennessee
    Did you know that Ray Ban was the company NASA contracted to build the Hubble telescope? I bought the miniature version. - 11.0 left, - 9.5 right.

Disposable Hubble contacts for sunny days.
    9AB28D4E-9793-4710-9025-1BB0CA0D5939.

Vinny_G and dramatwist like this.
  2. OxForever

OxForever Banned SUSPENDED Commercial User

Sep 4, 2019
    Near San Francisco, but not in.
    Ron Ellis Guitar Pickups
    Dayam, for years I was 20-15, but now I don't even know. I need correction for all vision, now. Sucks to be old.

3. HagenToke

HagenToke

Jul 11, 2019
    PNW
    Lol nice

4. cm3ohana

cm3ohana Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2005
    Thanks. The stacked knob is the regular P-Bass knobs with the inner knob being volume and the outer knob being tone. The other single knob is a Tonestyler to select different capacitors for a little more tone variety.

5. KDHBass76

KDHBass76

Sep 14, 2016
    I name my basses -- and guitars -- after (mostly) favorite or appropriate poets or authors. My '66 P-bass is named Longfellow, and the bass I've begun building will be named Wollstonecraft.

Bobo and Bard2dbone like this.
  6. Mark Porter

Mark Porter

May 17, 2016
    I have a T-Bird that I named “The Word”. I MAY have a tumor.

7. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Currently I have:

Big Sister - a Taylor 355ce 12 string
    Little Sister - a Taylor 114ce 6 string
    Dorothy - A heavily modified red Epiphone Dot (Seymour Duncan P-Rails and Triple Shots)
    Ruby - a red Spector NS2a bass
    Goldie - a Les Paul gold top with DiMarzio 36th Anniverary set and Jimmy Page circuit
    Marilyn - a heavily modified butterscotch blond Tele (Think Brent Mason style)
    Jaco - a sunburst fretless 4 string Jazz bass
    Big Jay - a sunburst fretless 5 string Lakland 55-60 bass
    Erica - a mint green Frankencaster (MIA Strat neck, WD body, Mojotone 59 Quiet Coils, Clapton boost circuit, and Turnstyle Switch)
    Mr Natural - a Lakland 55-02d 5 string bass
    Geddy - a white MIJ Fender Jazz bass with EMG's and a neck from a Geddy Lee Signature bass
    the Puzzle - a Frankencaster: Sapele over alder Tele body with an all rosewood WD Strat neck, Bare Knuckle Mule set, Jimmy Page Mod circuit, GraphTech Ghost piezo bridge, and GraphTech Ratio tuners
    The White One - 88 MIJ Fender Strat (with GraphTech saddles and nut, DiMarzio Area pickup set, and Strat Lover's switching circuit)
    the Ibanez - a natural Ibanez AS80 from the small headstock days (The only mod is a hole cut in the back to access the electronics, or possible to make an accidental hole look on purpose. But hey, it got me a good price.)
    The Wave -an NS Designs WAV4 electric upright bass.
    The Stick - a Chapman Stick from the 80s
    The Skillet - a Big Muddy mandolin that I won on a raffle. It kinda looks like a wooden frying pan.

You might notice that everything down to Geddy has it's own name. But the ones after that mostly have a description. Even being me, I don't know why some get a name and others don't. And yes. I notice that for the most part, guitars are female and basses are male. That part made sense in my head.

8. Bobo

Bobo

Apr 11, 2017
    CT
    Brilliant!

KDHBass76 likes this.
  9. Bobo

Bobo

Apr 11, 2017
    CT
    My ‘68 scroll top is female...#016...well, might just be my first male bass...or maybe androgynous...we’ll have to wait and see! Stay ‘tuned’ to find out...

10. JohnArnson

JohnArnson

May 28, 2019
    Are you the guy who used to bully me in 5th grade?

And I see you still haven't solved your low self-esteem issues or whatever it is that does that you feel the need to put other people down.

Calling other people childish would be a typical insecure teenager thing.

For your information plenty of professional musicians have called their trusted instrument names.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
    DrThumpenstein, dramatwist and Bobo like this.
  11. Bobo

Bobo

Apr 11, 2017
    CT
    emotionally I’m still in 9th grade...

dramatwist, Bruiser Stone and Winky like this.
  12. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate

Aug 14, 2009
    Alabama
    Yes, it’s a creative/ imaginative tag for an instrument.

There are those that do while others march to a different drummer. ;)

13. Tom Bomb

Tom Bomb Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2014
    I have a burgeoning drum kit, so far unnamed. In light of the age we're living in, and in honor of threads in this vein, I think I might call it, collectively, The Great Perturbator. … Either that or Fluffy.

Worryingly, each piece, on its own, may stimulate even more lunacy …

:eek:

… which I think I may just keep to myself ;)

14. MetalElf

MetalElf

Aug 9, 2010
    I only have two basses. I'm sure my wife would like to name them, "Enough" and "No More." Any I acquire in the future will be named, "Something my brother wasn't using, in his basement!" ;)

15. pjmuck

pjmuck

Feb 8, 2006
    New Joisey
    The only bass I own that I named is my '72 J, and I named it "Link" (After the dude on the Mod Squad). Bought it used in '84. The reason I named it Link? I always pictured some bad ass early 70's dude in bell bottoms and a huge 'fro slapping away on it before I owned it. Ironically, a few years ago I took the neck off it, and inside the neck pocket someone had put a clipping from a Sears catalog circa '72, and there was a shot of some people modeling clothing, including some bad ass dude wearing bell bottoms and a huge 'fro.

KDHBass76 and Bobo like this.
  16. Bobo

Bobo

Apr 11, 2017
    CT
    Cool! What are the odds!

KDHBass76 likes this.
  17. dramatwist

dramatwist

Sep 27, 2019
    Sorry if I offended... it was a joke. I have no self-esteem issues... but someone seems to be a little thin-skinned.

HagenToke likes this.
  18. KDHBass76

KDHBass76

Sep 14, 2016
    There is kind you are. My guitars are Tennyson (a '79 Mighty Mite neck-through Strat), Southey (a green 1960 Univox Custom thinline hollow-body), and Raffles (an Ibanez V50 entry-level dreadnought that sounds and plays shockingly well -- won it in a charity raffle at the Briggs Farm Blues Festival in 2015).

19. ron berry

ron berry Commercial User

Aug 6, 2018
    Australia
    self employed sole trader
    Birtha was the first and hardest birth of the double bass banjo family as she was all maple and hand sanded and 100% experiment, pictured here with a banjo bass viol de gamba, in fourths too but electric bass scale length and bowable.
    birtha.

Fatima came next as a commission, she was 40 inches across the hips and sounded sooo fat it just fit, pictured next to Birtha at 22 inches for comparison
    fatima.
    The next one still has no name and was with a vintage premier birch 19" floor tom and blackwood neck like Fatima, maybe Pancho because he could be Fatimas brother and because it was so punchy? Batman occurred to me but never really stuck. Suggestions?
    dbb4.
    There is a gestating one nearly finished bar the neck (and not yet named.)

20. Bobo

Bobo

Apr 11, 2017
    CT
    WOW!