1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Do your parents Come to your shows?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by markoc, Jan 11, 2017.

1. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    My parents never did come to any of my gigs. They are both passed now. Bars and clubs with loud music and drinking were not really their scene. That was fine with me to be honest because back then I was too self conscious to have my parents there. However, the day I announced that I wanted to learn to play bass (when I was 15), my mother drove me to a local music shop, bought me a bass and little amp and signed me up for lessons. 30 years later I am still playing, so thanks mom!

2. My dad plays music (mostly guitar) and my mom sings backup with him sometimes, so I'm sure they'd come to my gigs if they didn't live 2500 miles away.

My in-laws have mentioned they'd like to come sometime. They live 3 miles away, so that could happen. They've been to gigs of my previous bands.

nixdad and Jimmy4string like this.
  3. RED J

RED J Lol Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2000
    Ay yi yi the Slivertone amps...How many of us suffered through those things ? :roflmao:

4. Gaolee

Gaolee It's all about the polyester

My parents have never been to a gig, but my son and I played for my dad a week before he died. That made a big difference to all of us.

JCooper, mikeyjm2, nixdad and 2 others like this.
  5. Ellery

Ellery

Mar 25, 2015
    No. No they don't.

6. My mother was at my first "paying" gig. (It was a benefit, actually, so no money changed hands but I suppose it counts? The first time I actually came away with cash was a few weeks later.) I was part of a blues trio. Anyway, she doesn't like to drive at night so that really limits her opportunities. Perhaps next summer I'll get more daytime gigs but, for now, probably that's it.

My father lives 450 miles away, so there's that, and I just don't know if it would happen. The last time I was down his way, my two brothers and I jammed and he just didn't seem all that excited about it. So, I dunno, it might be different if there weren't three states between us but, who knows?

7. Flabass

Flabass Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    St. Petersburg
    When they were alive they came to some shows and I am glad that they did. They were supported of me when I started playing in 9th grade.

8. Similar cut of cloth, perhaps.

My parents were totally good when I used my professional situation to provide unprecedented Hollywood studio access on their visit to LA.

9. When I was a kid 16-20 or so, and it was new and exciting, they often came, but dad is gone, and mom is 87; there is no way she could take that noise level.

PS- She has thought "that music you (I) play" is awful from day one.

10. p-lo

p-lo

Jun 18, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I'm 40 they are late 60's. They came out once in over 10 years of playing in rock bands in late night drinking establishments. I started playing with a new band doing a lot of folk rock/americana/60's tunes about 6 months ago and they have been out to see the band a half dozen times already.

nixdad likes this.
  11. BigEarl

BigEarl

Sep 29, 2003
    Austin, TX
    Parents?!? Hell, I can't even get my WIFE to come to my gigs!

JCooper, jgroh, mikeyjm2 and 2 others like this.
  12. Odonian

Odonian

Feb 16, 2016
    Tacoma
    My mom is a pretty talented photographer, she used to shoot photos at gigs when i was in an underage hardcore band. Need to get some of the stuff she shot scanned someday.

JCooper likes this.
  13. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

My father used to say something like "Someone at every show will like you and some one will not" "Of course with the crap you play it may have to be your mother that likes you." Then he would laugh. He did come to one gig at a C&W place and I felt great about it. There was some confusion over which bass player was fired, and they wanted me to leave my amp for the other guy. Turns out it was me that the band wanted and the BL was confused.

Both of my parents watched me play a family re-union or two.

My mom used to drive me to practices and gigs. She didn't hang around most of the time.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  14. 12BitSlab

12BitSlab

Nov 28, 2016
    I played professionally for 15 years. The only time my parents saw me play when the band I was in at the time, played 3 songs at the wedding reception for my wife and me. Afterwards, they were both critical because "that is not proper to do."

One time, several friends and were asked to play warm-up for Dave Brubeck when he debuted a new symphony. We had to play all Dave Brubeck jazz stuff. I invited them and even got them front row tickets (NOT CHEAP!). Both no-showed. After that , I never bothered asking again.

15. Goodness no, they think I play devil music.

\m/

16. nixdad

nixdad Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    My Dad is in his late 70's, and comes out to see my Beatles band play as often as he can. My Mom (when she was alive) and Dad both saw my country rock/classic rock band several times in the 80's (we started off practicing in their garage as well in the late 70's.)

I'm fortunate as my son is a bassist as well (and far better than I'll ever be,) so my wife and I go to see him perform as often as possible. I've probably seen him perform hundreds of times over the past 16 years in various bands. I've even had the opportunity to sub for him for a set in his cover band when he was double-booked.

I LOVE seeing my kid play.

JCooper, mikeyjm2 and 12BitSlab like this.
  17. 12BitSlab

12BitSlab

Nov 28, 2016
    You are a good father!

nixdad likes this.
  18. Ben B

Ben B Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    My parents saw my bands a few times when I was in my late teens or early twenties. The music was a little heavy for their tastes, so, I give them a lot of credit for supporting me. A few years ago, they would come out to see my daughter's choir performances. My mom has passed and my dad is elderly, so, it's unlikely to happen again.

mikeyjm2 and nixdad like this.
  19. tekhedd

tekhedd Tone chaser Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2009
    Colorado, USA
    Owner/operator of BYTE HEAVEN
    My parents came to a gig once, a few years ago. I think that's it. Uh.

Wow. Something new to talk to my therapist about, I guess.

JCooper and nixdad like this.
  20. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    When I played classical music they would come to the symphony or opera, but I think they've only been to one rock gig. I'm OK with that, they have been very supportive over the years.

mikeyjm2 and nixdad like this.