1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Do your parents Come to your shows?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by markoc, Jan 11, 2017.

1. My mom and dad are 83 and we play hard rock like JP and VH -they like Willie Nelson. I would actually be nervous if they showed up so I am kind of glad they don't :)
    that being said i guess i would like to have them go to one...maybe : )

nixdad likes this.
  2. The Regulator

The Regulator

Aug 10, 2005
    Never, the type of music I play and the antics that go in at my gigs would offend them.

3. tedious1

tedious1

Feb 14, 2014
    One show for my folks, but I do play punk originals, hardly can blame them.

And did they pick a doozie to come to... London ON, the venue was right across the street from a little brick house that was doing a brisk trade through the front window... Half the venue was great, the other half was where we were playing.

They holed up at the back of the room, watched the show and quietly escaped. My mom paid me some nice compliments, but she admitted she couldn't hear a thing, so she was presuming I was doing a good job with guitar and vocals, moms...

catcauphonic likes this.
  4. Roland GR 88

Roland GR 88

Sep 16, 2013
    Toronto
    Ha !! Not a chance. They had no time for such foolishness.

Jimmy4string likes this.
  5. Oddly

Oddly Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    My parents came to a few of my earliest gigs when I was around 17/18...a long time ago.
    In fact my first gigs were dances for an abstinence association (I know-an abstinence association in Ireland-who'd believe it?) my father was involved in.
    Neither of them drink and they're not the most sociable of folks so they never cared for the normal bar gigs.
    Now I'm 51, and back to gigging in a small way, I think they just might come out, depending on the venue and lateness of the show.

On a side note, I'd like to ask @dtripoli to explain the outfits.
    I'm assuming they lost a bet and had to play a show without pants.

TL23NC, delta7fred and nixdad like this.
  6. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Always groove.... Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    And I believe the question of wearing shorts to a gig has been definitively answered. Heh. Great picture!

Oddly likes this.
  7. Only when I played at church and charity events. I have since relocated a few hours away & parents are in 80's & 90's so they are not able to travel. My dad is deaf he did not come unless it was a Easter play.

8. rodv66

rodv66 Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2016
    NJ
    Never have., hope never will.....

9. klokker

klokker

Jan 7, 2009
    Steele City, NE
    My parents are 90 and 91 at this point, and live about 1800 miles away. They've never been to any of the shows I've played. I've sent them a couple of pictures over the years.

They usually respond with, "Which one are you?........Oh, I thought you were a singer".

Jimmy4string likes this.
  10. mikeyjm2

mikeyjm2 Keepin' it simple.

Dec 31, 2014
    Houston, TX
    Mine (both in their 70s) come to a lot of them... maybe half? I do try to give them a heads up though beforehand about what kind of place it is we're playing. Some places I know they wouldn't be comfortable so I make the effort to avoid putting them in those situations.

nixdad likes this.
  11. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    No one in my family comes to my gigs ... not even my wife. I usually play at least 4-6 paying gigs a month, sometimes more ... I don't blame them ... cuz I'm working anyway.

Bunk McNulty and Jimmy4string like this.
  12. subtlestew

subtlestew

Apr 7, 2000
    Kent, CT
    I had a gig in November that was the day after Thanksgiving. My sister was in from Seattle (I'm in Connecticut,) and my parents were around as well. All three of them came to the show (which my wife skipped!) - I think it was the first time they had seen me play bass in a band in my life... and I'm in my late 40s. I think they had fun!

mikeyjm2, nixdad and Jimmy4string like this.
  13. It is to laugh.

We all have/had different parents. Mine reside in the past tense. They considered attending one of their children's concerts/recitals/performances déclassé. As such, any expectation of expressed accolade was a forlorn hope.

40Hz likes this.
  14. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

That's pretty cool! My parents never once attended anything I played.

15. WillCO

WillCO An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure.

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    Yeah, I'm 45, my Mom & Dad are 72 and 74. They come to more gigs than my wife does. They don't dance much anymore.

16. BusyFingers

BusyFingers

Nov 26, 2016
    I was so punk in the post-punk cover band I led as guitarist/singer I refused to "dress up" and wore cargo shorts to a gig. Let's just say my post-punk band was post-formation poste-haste! I thought punk idealism was counter to what everyone else was doing (which was wearing jeans and a dark T-shirt).

17. Both are gone sadly :( But they went to my shows when I was local when I had my original band back in the 80's. I was lucky both of my parents were musicians and supported me throughout.

nixdad likes this.
  18. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    For my parents to attend one of my gigs, my sister would have to come also. She has them both in the same urn in her house. So, it's possible, but not likely.

Bunk McNulty likes this.
  19. I'm in my dad's band with his 60ish year old buds, so he's seen the few gigs we've done. lol! Mom passed a couple years ago, but she was always subjected to the boys making noise down in the basement. She co-wrote a few originals we do.

20. Big Hoss

Big Hoss Up note, down note, blue note, brown note...

Nope. But that's because I live and play in Texas, and my parents are on the other side of the country in Oregon...