1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Do your parents Come to your shows?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by markoc, Jan 11, 2017.

1. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

In my case, my mom was pretty down on pursuing anything remotely resembling career ambitions when it came to the arts. Unfortunately, she didn't just discourage. She also had a tendency to actively interfere anytime an involvement in the arts looked like it was straying beyond the hobbyist level.

She meant well I suppose.

2. JCooper

JCooper ...meep. Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Denver, CO
    My dad's a musician also, we've attended many of each other's gigs. We've even been involved in projects/bands together, meaning we've also played on stage together! Playing shows with my dad is great, we both enjoy it. We trust each other's performance on stage, and are comfortable playing together.
    Haven't played with him for a while, but will again soon.
    And I look forward to it.

3. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

My Dad passed shortly before I started playing bass (late bloomer here). My Mom does come to shows once in a while when we play close to her. She's not too mobile so she doesn't dance, but she likes to hear us.

Shorts... check.... socks.... check... loafers - LOAFERS!!!!.... check. WOW.

mikeyjm2, nixdad and Jimmy4string like this.
  4. Doner Designs

Doner Designs Steve Doner Gold Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2012
    Metro Chicago Area
    Doner Designs is an alias for Steve Doner
    When I played trumpet in school, yes. Since then, no.

Same for my own kids. I'm old and tired and feel like my obligation as a parent to do such things ended with high school. Going to school concerts was something I always dreaded, but I did it anyway. A lot of times I would spend part of the time roaming the halls outside the room because the noise and cramped quarters was almost intolerable at times. Grandchildren, if there are any, will be my kid's responsibility.

Yes, I'm a tired grumpy old man. Up at 4am and to bed at 9pm. After work on the day job there is barely time to eat before going back to bed

5. Bullitt5135

Bullitt5135 Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2010
    SE Michigan
    My dad (age 70) saw me play a couple years ago, and then promptly suffered a stroke the next day. While he suffered no severe lasting effects from the stroke, the weird thing is that it now drives him crazy to listen to music. He must have fried some neurons between his ears and his brain, causing the music to sound distorted and mixed up.

I cannot confirm or deny that we played Mustang Sally.

Jimmy4string likes this.
  6. dtripoli

dtripoli

Aug 15, 2010
    If memory serves me....
    She's Not There - Zombies
    Rock Me Baby - Jeff Beck Group
    Signed D.C. - The Love
    20th Century Fox - The Doors
    Sunshine of Your Love - Cream
    Hey Joe - The Leaves
    Gloria - Them
    Pushing Too Hards - The Seeds
    Tired of Waiting - The Kinks
    Keep on Running - Spencer Davis Group (a song we habitually butchered)
    Here Comes My Baby - The Tremeloes​

...That's all I can remember for now

7. Nunovsky

Nunovsky

Sep 4, 2004
    Portugal
    When I was in my 20's and I had a band with my brother playing drumms, my parents came to see us in a lot of shows.
    Nowadays, my mother has come to see me in on or two shows recently and my dad hasn't been able to do so. Now things are different since I play mainly in bars and so. But that's just how things are.

8. RichardW

RichardW

Feb 25, 2016
    near Philly
    I did have one gig to which my wife's aunt and uncle came. I like and respect them a lot. They are both very devout Catholics and one of the songs we played was the Ballad of John and Yoko. I remember feeling a little nervous that Aunt and Uncle might take some offense at the line "the way things are going, they're going to crucify me." We played the gig without incident, and the next day they emailed me about how much they liked it. So either they didn't care or missed the line entirely.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
    nixdad likes this.
  9. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    The last time my parents came to one of my gigs was 1989.
    They've made it pretty clear that they don't like loud music, they don't like weird music, and they don't like to stay out late at night. Given those preferences, it's kind of amazing that they did come to that show in '89!

HolmeBass likes this.
  10. Not much, I don't think my mom got to see my play a proper gig ever, but she did get to see me sit in with the band at the resort she lived at later in her life.

My dad has seen me play a couple of gigs, but does not regularly attend. Really only 2 gigs my whole life, and I am 52 now. Thankfully one was only a few years ago so the band was good.

It's ok, I wouldn't expect anyone to come to all of my gigs. Given how much live music they normally saw in their lives - zip - they did a fine job by me. They did come out to a lot of band concerts when I was in high school.

11. Not really, and they're long gone now.

They did hear me play plenty around the house, and I did the music for one sister's weddings (yes, plural), so they heard all that. They knew I can play, but for various reasons, mostly involving the need to travel for them, they never got to any real gigs.

My kids get to some of my gigs, though, and now my granddaughter has even been to one!

mikeyjm2 and nixdad like this.
  12. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    Oh, wait, do those count? I played a set at my sister's wedding in '91 and at my own wedding in '02, so Mom & Dad have seen me perform subsequent to 1989. Just not doing anything remotely like what I usually do!

mikeyjm2 and nixdad like this.
  13. I only wish my folks could come to my shows. Maybe they do in spirit.

JCooper, mikeyjm2, nixdad and 2 others like this.
  14. BusyFingers

BusyFingers Banned

Nov 26, 2016
    Nice, though I would have figured for more of a Beach Boys in penny loafers.

nixdad, Jimmy4string and smperry like this.
  15. Early on , when I was playing rock, my folks didn't come to many shows. I would try to balance it with the occasional church music thing, which they really enjoyed more.
    After all, they bought me that first bass, paid for the lessons, and were encouraging in my music adventures.
    Later on, when I sorta pivoted to country and alt-country, they came to alot more shows. When we had finally attained the level of opening for big-name acts, it was one of the greatest moments of my life to look down and see my mom and dad in the front row.

16. Ritchie_Darling

Ritchie_Darling Supporting Member

May 22, 2006
    Arizona
    Artisan Bass Works sales and support..
    My dad always says he will come to my shows.

But, usually he's too busy gigging.....

17. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    Dad passed away & my mom lives across the country, so not yet ... but we're hoping to time her next visit to coincide with a show.

However, my ex mother-in-law & her husband are local ... they've been to several and we all remain good friends that regularly socialize

Jimmy4string likes this.
  18. Pops OB

Pops OB

Nov 4, 2016
    Should my parents show up, it will be one hell of a surprise; they've been dead over twenty years. They might not look good.

19. ccooney78

ccooney78

Apr 21, 2011
    Belleville, ON
    My drummer's parents come to every show of ours...I think they've missed 1 or 2 since we started in 2010. I refer to them as our "super fans". They're very supportive of us which is wonderful. They even left a Christmas party early and drove 2.5 hours from there to our gig just so they could see us play. They're just wonderful people. My parents, on the other, aren't really music or bar people so I just asked them to come to our very first one and they did. Stayed for our first set then left. I was happy with that.

mikeyjm2 and Jimmy4string like this.
  20. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    My mom never has, and most likely never will. My dad definitely never will since he died in 2000. But, my kids have a few times :)

JCooper, mikeyjm2 and nixdad like this.