1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Drugs!

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by DeathrockDudr, Dec 1, 2010.

1. DeathrockDudr

DeathrockDudr

Nov 10, 2010
    Ca
    Gonna keep it short.

2 members of band drink smoke weed.
    I said continue but along as its on their time not band time.
    One is emotionally vulnerable and I'm not sure how he reacts to pressure.
    I'm afraid if we play a bar he gets drunk and ****s it up well lose credibility. Ive read that we should treat it like a job if were serious about it. And they always argue to me about that everyone does it. I always use the argument u don't show up to a job drunk.

Anyway

Any suggestions on how to keep then sober no real problems yet.
    What's your rule on this kinda stuff? Allow it at all? Experiences with it at shows?

Thank ya peeps

2. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    If they can still function, no harm no foul (till they get busted at least).

3. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    The only person you have any control over is yourself. There's no way you are going to change the behavior of others.

4. This, but also be ready for a trainwreck. If it comes, your time will be better spent looking for a new band than trying to fix the one you're in now.

Good luck.

5. Yep. But you can control who you associate with. If you're concerned, you could beat your head against a wall trying to stop said person, or you could find somewhere else to play.

6. In my experience, musicians mixing their drugs with their music is a bad sign. A sign to run, in fact.

Don't get me wrong, I occaisionally use drugs, and I like a drink as much as (or more than) the next guy. But I never, ever, ever drink before or while I play with others, and similarly my bandmates don't even know that I occaisionally get high.

All you can do is ask them not to do it. If they argue, or continue regardless, time to find a new band, plain and simple. You WILL lose credibility. You will NOT get repeat bookings. And they won't be reliable bandmates. End of story.

7. It's California. Only a complete moron gets busted for weed in this state.

8. mess with em?

9. There is nothing wrong with smoking marijuana. Hell, studies are being shown that it actually reduces cancer cells and tumor sizes. But anything in excess is bad. Have they completely forgotten their parts on stage? Do they fall down or make obscene gestures to the crowd? If yes find a new band. If no, tell them not to get out of hand or else. I know I personally don't drink before I play cause I tend to forget what I'm supposed to be doing, but marijuana NEVER had that effect on me.

10. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    As long as they dont get trashed for gigs then its not an issue.

11. I disagree. Some people have a moral aversion to drug/alcohol use. Many tolerate it becasue they don't want to deal with the grief they'll get for it from everyone else. Now I am not one of those people, but I would not be in a band with a drug addict no matter how he showed up at practices. I don't like drug addicts. If you don't want to work with people who use drugs, that's fine in and of itself.

12. But then again, you didn't say how old you guys were. If you are under 21 they shouldn't be drinking anywhere in public at least

13. That's only saying pot is a drug. It's classified as a drug, but it's the only "drug" you do not need to do anything to. It grows as a plant, it has less side effects then alcohol and tobacco. Pot is not a drug. It was made illegal because the 3m corporation thought of hemp as a threat to their business.

14. Personally, I'd be asking "is this a rock band or a church group" but that's just me

15. If they can still function "normally" -whatever. I have many friends who can smoke and drink and still pull off a good show, I think being high is just normal to them.

If they are getting completely incapacitated- move on. They are a waste of time. I would never attempt to "police" the behavior of my bandmates. They can either handle the job/gig or they cannot. In those situations, I move on or they get replaced.

If you all ever ride in the same van/car you need to lay down some hardcore rules about handling/holding of illegal substances in transit- they could get you in trouble.

*edit* Obviously, if you just have a problem with the drinking and smoking, you should move on.

16. mellowgerman

mellowgerman Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    I know plenty of guys in the local music scene that need a drink or a joint before going on stage, just to loosen up. Of course that doesn't mean get completely wasted or smoke 3 bongs before a gig.
    I myself like to have maybe two or three beers before going on... granted I have a pretty solid tolerance and don't NEED to do it... but it makes the entire experience a little more enjoyable

17. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    Self righteous morality doesnt really apply here. And who knows if the OP's bandmates are addicts. The OP seems to be concerned only with his bandmates ability to perform at the gig. If they can then what they do is fine, if not then its not OK.

18. Yerf Dog

Yerf Dog

Jun 29, 2009
    Carol Stream, IL
    Have you tried nagging? That would probably work.

But seriously, sounds like you're trying to fix a problem you don't have yet.

19. I've played with a lot of guys who drank, and smoked, and whatevered, while they played.

Some guys could handle it, and I didn't say a word to them.

Other guys would get sloppy, and start screwing up all over the place. Those guys I either fired, or abandoned.

I don't care who you are, or who you think you are, you're not allowed to waste the scant time I have in which to play music as an ensemble. When I come out to play, I bring my A game, every time, and I expect my bandmates to do so as well. If having a beer or a joint helps them relax, so be it, that's cool. But if they're using practice as a chance to get wasted, then I'm not practicing with them.

And using at gigs is right out in my books... because once we got thrown out of a place right after our soundcheck, when the drummer was caught blazing in the can.

20. There is a big difference between someone who enjoys weed now and then and a "drug addict". Just like not everyone who looks forward to drink or two is alcoholic.

In my experience EVERYONE involved in music uses, or has in the past used, weed. Alcohol is universal - musician or not - and is a far worse drug, in my opinion.

I'd be more worried about a bandmate's excessive alchol use than marijuana.

If you cannot abide either then you need to find others with the same mindset. By far the minority, though...