1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Eden Glowplug!!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by krfoss, May 16, 2019.

1. krfoss

krfoss Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Orange County, CA
    I've been gassing for one of these for a while and found a bonkers deal. I've been wanting that thicker, SVTish, wall of bass sort of sound that I wasnt getting from my basses. So, GAS whispered in my ear like a sweet tone-ghost, "TUUUUBBBEEESSSS."

I fought. No, I said. Not until I sell stuff. The Empress comp sells... No more excuses.

I've only fussed with it for 30 minutes or so, but I wanted to show off some of its tone. So, heres a dumb riff with a pick, which I am not a pick player but it highlights the tone more.

Chain:
    Fender MIA P- TI flats
    Bassbone OD, set flat
    Glowplug
    Presonus iTwo
    Garageband

Settings on the clip:
    GP varies in the "hot/ cold" knob only. Crossover set at noon, dry mix at 3:00, and Volume off (it doesnt need a boost)
    :00-:12-- GP off. Dry signal only
    :17-:29-- GP Hot/Cold at 9:00
    :36-:50-- GP Hot/Cold at 12:00
    :54- end-- GP Hot/Cold at 3:00

It almost gets too much bass, but that can be adjusted with the mix knob and the crossover. Everything dimmed produces a huge overdriven sound. I like the sweet spot of Hot/Cold at 10-10:30, Crossover at 1:00, and Mix at 3:00. Just on the edge of break up. Mix on full is too flubby.

GP sounds great on and warms up the Lakland 5502 with Pure Blues too. No clip of that unless desired.

So far, I really like it. I think it'll stay for now.

Attached Files:

vlad335 and Ba55Man1ac like this.
  2. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    Welcome to the club! I, too, like to stay just on the edge of break up with my Glowplug...

3. krfoss

krfoss Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Orange County, CA
    It's a shame this hasn't received a lot of reviews. People mainly seem to hate on it for it's power requirements, but the cioks dc7 takes care of that.

Do you have any other setting or tips? Have you experimented with other tubes? I'd love more play in the warmth knob before breakup since I likely won't be using this as a dedicated overdrive sound.

4. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    It is.

I don't have tips. I have been using it mostly in studio, so my settings usually depended on what was needed for that particular song.

Recently, I have bought Ampeg PF-50T, so I will be able to compare the results with Glowplug the next time I go to studio...

5. krfoss

krfoss Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Orange County, CA
    I'd love to read that comparison. Sounds like the pf50t is the poormans b15, so the review would be great.

Zbysek likes this.
  6. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    I will try to do my best! :)

Just to clarify: I have PF-20T, not 50T...my mistake

krfoss likes this.
  7. scubaduba

scubaduba Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    Sound clip isn't working.

8. krfoss

krfoss Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Orange County, CA
    Weird. Just checked it and it worked just fine on my work computer. Perhaps try phone or other computer? If not, I'll upload it to soundcloud and post a link. Thanks for letting me know.

9. krfoss

krfoss Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Orange County, CA
    For the Soundcloud people:

Last edited: May 17, 2019
    scottm likes this.
  10. krfoss

krfoss Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Orange County, CA
    Because I can't let well enough alone, I got a 12at7 tube to see about dropping the gain and giving me some more usable clean range.

I opened up the box and to my surprise the previous owner had the mod idea too. I found the stock Ruby tube replaced by an EHX 12ax7. So, all my previous sound samples were done with an EHX rather than the stock tube.

The 12at7 definitely lowered the gain, but almost too much. It does go to breakup, but only after maxing every dial. Very bass heavy, but nice thick overdrive. Sound samples if desired.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 21, 2019 at 10:47 PM
    Ba55Man1ac likes this.
  11. Ba55Man1ac

Ba55Man1ac Gold Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Desired! :bassist:

krfoss likes this.