1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Esperanza Spalding : You gotta watch this

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Murdoc_420, Mar 14, 2016.

1. Murdoc_420

Murdoc_420

Jan 20, 2016
    Colorado

I hadn't heard of her before but came across this on you tube. She doesn';t start playing until and 2:40 but it's a pretty wild performance.

nixdad, Matthew_84, Tom Bomb and 17 others like this.
  2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Man, I hope she comes somewhere close to St. Louis this year!

DrThumpenstein and SirMjac28 like this.
  3. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    :vomit: okay,.. it's appears both she & Tal Wilkenfeld are trying to win something this year. (but at the expense of most of their fan base, perhaps) :thumbsdown:

oaklandthumb and Killed_by_Death like this.
  4. devnulljp

devnulljp Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2009
    BC, Canada
    Admin on the D*A*M Forum
    She's amazing.
    Listen to some of her other stuff, especially on standup. What a player.

5. Dug2

Dug2

Sep 24, 2011
    chicago
    shes good, but that is not good. ouch

6. bassinplace

bassinplace

Dec 1, 2008
    The new album's on it's way in the mail to me and I'm going to see her play tomorrow night! :hyper: :bassist:

7. nutdog

nutdog when I'm a good dog they sometimes throw me a bone Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    in the dog house
    dang

8. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I really like this direction she has taken. I really respect her double bass work, but bass guitar is my instrument, and I am always more interested in bass guitar projects. The performance aspect of her work may look goofy or corny, but I really support her willingness to experiment. As for the Tal Wilkenfeld comparison, Esperanza is a genuinely accomplished singer who would be great if she did not play an instrument at all. Tal cannot make that claim.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2016
  9. nutdog

nutdog when I'm a good dog they sometimes throw me a bone Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    in the dog house
    yeah, that voice...so pure

10. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    The amount of talent it takes to make the bass guitar a solo instrument is mind boggling that's why there are only a select few who can actually pull it off. I agree with the Dr her voice is amazing I almost wish she would do some more pop just to get more people on board to enjoy her music.

11. LowEndWooly

LowEndWooly

Sep 3, 2013
    Indiana
    I've been following her for a couple of years.. one of my favorite artists by far. It was actually her, no Jaco, that convinced me to go fretless and I'm glad I did. I could watch her play and sing all day.

12. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I don't think she is a pop artist at heart. I think her best shot at a pop hit would be a duet with someone like John Legend. They could really nail a romantic ballad.

13. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Jaco is a legend, but Esperanza has a much more versatile fretless tone. Jaco had a sound that never faded into the background the way bass needs to sometimes. Esperanza's sound can fade or standout as needed.

zelig.audio, NightCat and GregC like this.
  14. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Inactive Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    So yeah... speaking of "female bassists..."

And to that guy who told me "she only plays upright" - I say "get a clue". Ms. Spaulding is something else.

moonshinegtrs likes this.
  15. bass12

bass12 Have you seen my tonsils lately? Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Esperanza goes Fringe Festival?

TripleDouble likes this.
  16. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa Guest

Dec 25, 2011
    Not my cup of tea, too much in the dark corner of jazz fusion has to offert.

Gravedigger Dav and pacojas like this.
  17. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Off topic: Esperanza Spalding is attractive, but she never did much for me looks wise. I just loved her phenomenal music. Those nerd glasses, however, make her look like an old girlfriend who was quite talented in her own way.;)
    For once, she is looking hot to me!

18. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    That's funny because I was thinking the exact same thing and wow John Legend would be awesome you hit that one right out of the park Dr and I was also thinking about Aleisha Keys, Sia or even Sam Smith I love his voice those two could make some serious music together. I'm not sure where her head is at career wise? I find it hard to believe she hasn't been approached to make more main stream recordings? after watching the video the OP posted it looks like she may be going through an experimental stage which is cool also.

MattZilla and Dr. Cheese like this.
  19. Ffreddy

Ffreddy

Feb 14, 2011
    I dig the weird vibe and new direction she is going, but good god whomever mixed this recording should be arrested.

20. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

Oct 9, 2011
    Singapore
    i thought everyone knew about spalding lol....isnt she the woman who win the grammy for best new artist ahead of bieber or something

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 2, 2021