extra cabinet

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by david firman, Sep 29, 2017.

Tags:
  1. david firman

david firman

Sep 29, 2017
    i have an acoustic mark 2 100 watt bass amp...I want to add another speaker or bass cabinet to it...on the back of the amp is an xlr jack...the speaker I'm looking at has an xlr jack on it and is powered...there is also a switch that says pre and post and a small output knob...I now run a xlr cable to the pa ...but get a muddy sound only through the pa...the problem here is too many hands making adjustments as the show goes on...I want to get rid of the mud and get out of the pa all together...and have the amp highhat side of the drummer and the other speaker would be on the other side of the drummer for a balanced sound...the amp alone sounds great so what I'm saying is I want control of my sound...not to much to ask...to me it seems what I'm describing if I just hook up the xlr to the other xlr and adjust the output knob I should be in business...any thoughts...

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    What is the speaker you are looking at?

3. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    It sounds like that is your DI out, which should work for a powered speaker, in most cases.

4. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    Of it is a powered speaker, it needs a power cord.

5. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    Do you mean Power Chord? :D

villegastx, Jeff Scott and Stumbo like this.
  6. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    :roflmao:

BadExample likes this.
  7. joel406

joel406

Dec 27, 2013
    Florida
    For starters trying to balance your sound on both sides of the stage will prove a problem since you essentially will be running two different amps. Each will sound the way they sound.

Second... how small are the venues you play at? A 100 watt bass amp ain't (cover your ears) crap. It's a practice amp at best.

Save your money and get a real amp.

8. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    Better to stack them, balance the tone from each so they sound together. Better dispersion and easier to hear yourself on stage.

Check your tone from FOH.

Jeff Scott and deathness like this.
  9. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    *popcorn *

10. david firman

david firman

Sep 29, 2017
    so far it hasn't been a problem...in our practice area the drummer is in the glass cage...my amp is infront of him...so he cant hear me...the band leader just keeps turning everything up...I'm running the xlr through the pa...as the volume goes up it gets muddy...I play a RIC...rics don't do muddy...so I want this to work so I can put a speaker in the glass enclosure and have control of my sound...we giged the other night and we set it up the way its supposed to be amp beside him and no glass cage and we were fine...

Stumbo and BadExample like this.
  11. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    The best drummer is a caged drummer.

Stumbo and Jeff Scott like this.
  12. If you love your drummer set him free.
    If he comes back it means nobody else will feed him...

13. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    Too lazy to stand up and play.
    Too lazy to feed themselves.
    Makes a lot of noise.

Who wouldn't want that for a pet? He'll be back as soon as it's mealtime.

LowActionHero and JeffC23 like this.
  14. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

Stop muddying the water Jon!! LOL

BadExample likes this.
  15. Hounddog409

Hounddog409

Oct 27, 2015
    ohio
    I have run a 1x15 on each side of the drummer on more than a few occasions.

Nothing wrong with the premise. Of course both are cabled to my Mesa D800.

16. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    Did you say:

???

Stumbo, jhb138 and S-Bigbottom like this.
  17. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

Oh Gawd! I shoulda expected something like this. Great track! :D

BadExample likes this.
  18. Everyone else is in the PA, and you want to divorce yourself from being in the PA? And you're concern is for needing a second cab with a 100 watt amp, to balance your sound on the stage after you are no longer in the PA?
    How are you going to balance yourself with the rest of the band when everyone else is in the PA?
    This sounds like a good idea if you don't think about it too much, but it could be a real disaster.
    Sounds like you and the guy running the house mix need to sort some stuff out.

Run pre on the XLR out and let the sound guy EQ your bass for the house.
    Run post on the XLR out and tell the sound guy to run you flat on his board and you EQ your bass to sound right in the house mix.

Too muddy is due to running to much low end EQ.

LowActionHero and Joedog like this.
  19. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    Punctuation?...:D

For best results, place two identical cabinets one on top of the other between you and the drummer Keep him in the glass cage, too, just because, you know. 100 watts won't get you very far (loud) while everyone else is running through the PA (you might be better off just running out of there, altogether).

Edit: spelling (not punctuation)

Last edited: Sep 30, 2017
    BadExample likes this.
  20. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    He's always on time.

Jeff Scott likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021