fEARful part 13: the bad luck's done, son

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by greenboy, Oct 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bardley

Bardley

Nov 16, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    All in...

Need better pics soon.

[​IMG]

I'm loving the pics, guys.

2. Interceptor

Interceptor

Mar 29, 2005
    Madison, WI
    My favorite rig of all time. Thank you greenboy for the design effort behind these things!

bd2211d9.jpg

3. 12/6 cube? Nice!

4. architect

architect

Feb 23, 2009
    Netherlands
    active XO @ 625Hz 24dbLR
    2x UCD400HG on 3015LF
    1x UCD400HG on mid/high with passive XO

This works quit good, I can plug my bass just inb or use my Ampeg preamp SVT Pro.

I added a big heatsink for the amps got to warm
    with a pretty big heatsink attached I still think the amps get to warm so my plan is to take them out in an external 1U enclosure.

Attached Files:

5. Arlekiin

Arlekiin Guest

Mar 29, 2010
    Estonia, Tallinn
    Designer and founder of "The Board" https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Board/716552605119644?ref=br_tf
    I am wondering, if some of the fEarfuls could double as home hi-fi speakers? I would like to build something which I could use at home (just plug my bass into my home system and get similar sound I get in a rehearsal room) and I do like my speakers big (overkillish).

6. Toastfuzz

Toastfuzz

Jul 20, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Odd I was lurking the fEARful thread just after you post this... my father has a full woodworking shop and is an amazing craftsman, and I called to ask if he'd be willing to whip some of these up come Fall/Winter. He said he has a bunch of hi-fi home audio drivers in storage that he's always wanted to build cabs for, so we're going to try those in the fEARful build and see what happens.

I know that the fEARfuls are carefully calibrated to those certain drivers. I am making myself a pair of legit fEARful's for playing bass through, he's just making extra cabs to put his speakers in to get some use out of them. Worst case scenario, we trash the drivers and make another pair of proper fEARfuls :hyper:

7. wcriley

wcriley

Apr 5, 2010
    Western PA
    I think there's a thread/discussion in the fEARful forum on using them for hi-fi.

8. wcriley

wcriley

Apr 5, 2010
    Western PA

YouNeverKnow.gif

9. Oobly

Oobly

Jun 19, 2008
    lol@wcriley!

I have been considering this also. I have played a fair amount of music through my single 15/6/1 and it sounds fantastic. I have read, however, that it's best to have the really low frequencies coming from a single point or source. I am not really sure why, though, perhaps someone could explain this a little more for us, preferably with some physics and colourful images if possible! :)

Anyhow, that means that you could run a 15sub and 2 headcases with the mids and tweeters, but the crossover frequencies in the fEARful are such that a lot of the lower mids would only be coming from the sub and wouldn't be stereo.

Or you could run a pair of full range fEARfuls and maybe add an active highpass filter to one to filter out the really low frequencies which should only have one source... maybe?

10. DANGER! Geek Content Warning! :bag:

I didn't feel like typing it all, so I'll just give you some scientific and industry references that do a pretty good job of it.

For actual pictures/animation, I suggest this Falstad site, but it needs a Java plugin (Chrome doesn't like it too much). It's a great interactive applet, and you can play with frequency and separation and see how it affects the room.

But don't just rely on pictures, go to the descriptions so you can make sense of the pictures and what they mean to a real-world listener.

First, some insight from Peavey's Marty McCann,
    and some raw physics of waves and how they interfere and interact

11. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    This is another instance of context, and a reason to ask the questions where I actually spend more time. Generally in small or medium clubs it's best to group PA subwoofers. The home situation has slightly different expectations, limitations, and concerns.

12. dog1

dog1

Dec 30, 2008
    Indiana
    Hey Duke! I have sold my Aguilar. I sold my Genz Benz. I only use the 12" 2 way that you designed. I would like to talk to you, but can't find you. Please PM me. Any TBers who can help me hook up with Duke.....please help. Thanks, dog

13. mkandolf

mkandolf

Nov 21, 2007
    Saint Clair, MI
    OK, another recent lurker here...

What is the difference between the 12's and the 15's? I'm considering building up funds for a Fearful build. What most should make me head one way or the other?

14. If you want light, compact and less expensive, the 12/6 cube with the Alpha 6 is the place to start. (My $ .02, anyway) If you do smaller gigs and have PA support this cab does a fantastic job. Huge bang for the buck.

The 15/6 with the more expensive 18Sound mid is a bigger, badder version that puts out more sound.

They have the same width, so they can stack and they play really well together.

Once you get started on the fEarfuls it's hard not to build another.

15. dog1

dog1

Dec 30, 2008
    Indiana
    Duke LeJeune where are you?

16. thudfromafar

thudfromafar

Dec 12, 2007
    Chicago
  17. thudfromafar

thudfromafar

Dec 12, 2007
    Chicago
    oh man.... one day i will have the 12cube................ beautiful

18. u84six

u84six Don't panic, the bass player is here! Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2006
    US
    I'm now a proud owner. :) And the head is such a good match!

Ron Anchak did a great job with the Fender grill. It's SWEET!

OhBSg.jpg

19. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    ^ Congrads! Ron does excellent work.

20. u84six

u84six Don't panic, the bass player is here! Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2006
    US
    Which kind of rack bag is that?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.