1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender "Pure Vintage" Pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by 2manynotes, Jan 23, 2014.

1. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    No, 63 pup is deferrent tone character than SPB1 and Ori 60p range.

Some people dislike the sound of 63 pup , because the bigger lo-mid and un-crisp treble.

LoveThatBass likes this.
  2. FronTowardEnemy

FronTowardEnemy It is better to go unnoticed, than to suck

Sep 19, 2006
    Plainfield Illinois
    I just slapped in a set of PV 74 jazz pickups into my 2013 MIJ Fender 75Ri with true 70s spacing.

The string response and tone out of these are exactly what I wanted. Great design, build quality, sound and price! Got em for $104 shipped.

Glad I picked them up.

madjazzbass and LoveThatBass like this.
  3. Precibass

Precibass

Mar 2, 2015
    Hey guys. I ended up buying SD Antiquitity II and it is by far the best 62 reproduction pickup I´ve ever played.
    When I compare it to other pickups, I´d say Fender 62 Custom Shop is very similar, but Duncan has more lows. I like how every string plays just the same volume/gain and has same thump. Amazing.

Havent played 63 Pure Vintage yet, but it seems I will never have to.

Fender Original is a bit even in EQ, not much lows, it has strong high mids and its not a proper output I´d say, I had a feeling it could be stronger.

In Antiquity II I´ve found my No.1 62 style pickup.

Have not play SPB-1 (57 style) or Antiquity I (50s style with alnico II mags) but my next favourite split coil is Fender Custom Shop 59 - a touch more aggresive than 57 split but still has that 50s style low mid thump that is to kill for. - 59´s very good option for hard rockers and core metalists. I´ve played heavy metal with it and I could easily cut through two mad guitarists who were using mesa and marshall tube heads paired with 4x12 cabinets. SD is definitelly worth the money. Of course its pricey but you know you can always find someone whos never happy with anything.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2015
    AndrewTaran likes this.
  4. madjazzbass

madjazzbass

Jan 5, 2014
    Earth
    I have a set of the CS 60's, and I think they sound great; but I'm wondering if either of the "true vintage" pups (64 or 74) would be even better, hotter, more growl, deeper, punchier, warmer? any or all of the above? ... btw, if it makes any difference, they'd be going into a Fender FSR Ash/maple Jazz Bass

Last edited: Nov 9, 2015
  5. madjazzbass

madjazzbass

Jan 5, 2014
    Earth
    Would anyone happen to know the Output Rating (Bass/Mid/Treble) of the Pure Vintage '74 Jazz pups? ... and/or the Custom Shop 60's as well? I already have the numbers for the Pure Vintage '64's (Neck 7/4/6 and Bridge 5/7/7, but I can't seem to find the Output rating for the other two pups, Thanks.

6. ricksvintage

ricksvintage Supporting Member Commercial User

I really, REALLY like the '74 Jazz pickups, I put a set in my Original '72 Olympic White Jazz Bass, and I also have them in 2 of my other Jazz basses. I can't say enough good things about them!

I had these in all my Jazz basses, and I wanted to try something different, so I recently swapped the set I had in my '62 Candy Apple Red RI, I put in a set of VJ-60's made by Moollon. The Moollons sound very good, more early '60's, but I still prefer the '74's sound overall for my style.

So, if anybody needs a used set of '74's, I just listed a set in the classifieds, I'm sure you will be very happy with them!

But, in the end, as well all know and Jaco clearly said , "It's all in the Hands!"

90% of all my Tone problems have been solved by practicing more :bassist:

madjazzbass likes this.
  7. danosix

danosix

May 30, 2012
    Ironic that the only information on "pure vintage" is that they're new....

madjazzbass likes this.
  8. madjazzbass

madjazzbass

Jan 5, 2014
    Earth
    Yeah, I was able to find the "output ratings" for the other two pickup sets (pure vintage '64 & CS60's). Well, I do like the set of CS60's in my one Bass, and, according to the "ratings" they list for the PV '64 set, it seems that I would like them very much; warmer, more mids and treble in the bridge pickup, more Bass in the neck pickup, and a little more treble as well (but not too much).

9. Ultradust

Ultradust

May 19, 2007
    Seoul, Republic of Korea
    General Manger, Moollon

Hehe, well noted~

Since last year Young Joon has been testing a few different coils for newer 1970s-spacing Jazzos, and if he's satisfied with the results we may end up seeing a VJ-70 in production sometime the next 12 months or so mated to ash body Js...Probably won't make it to the Moollon booth this January, but do stay tuned ;)

10. chiplexic

chiplexic

Apr 21, 2004
    Massachusetts
    Great sample. I like that turn around ala JPJ Lemon Song. Those Original 62's do sound great with flats which I have been using for a while now on my Am Std P. Did you stick with these pickups. Have you tried any others you can comment on.

11. madjazzbass

madjazzbass

Jan 5, 2014
    Earth
    I have the CS 62 P pup and a CS 60s J pup in the bridge; they Both sound Great soloed, and blended together as well, I love 'em both. IMAG0296.

Session1969 likes this.
  12. FirewalZ

FirewalZ

Aug 14, 2014
    S.E. Michigan
    Thanks, I intentionally recorded something that was slower with longer notes to allow the listener to hear the tone, and NOT a slap/tap showcase:) I've pretty much stuck with these pickups, I lack sufficient funds and time to try too many other pickups, although I may at some point.

LoveThatBass and chiplexic like this.
  13. Wow, nice stuff. Especially liked the "It doesn't matter Blues"

14. The Chuck

The Chuck

Dec 11, 2013
    Wilmington, NC
    I got the 63 in my ADE P because of the bigger lo-mid and less shrill highs LOL.

upload_2016-4-6_9-41-18.

Bobby Bass, ericsmith and Yahboy like this.
  15. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    Wow, a nice sexy P bass.

The Chuck likes this.
  16. The Chuck

The Chuck

Dec 11, 2013
    Wilmington, NC
    Yeah- thanks! I love this thing!

upload_2016-4-6_10-42-30.

BigThud and Yahboy like this.
  17. madjazzbass

madjazzbass

Jan 5, 2014
    Earth
    Based solely on this, I'm gonna "pull the trigger" on a set of these (PV 63's) myself; sounds like exactly what I'm looking for (I hope), the CS62's aren't "cutting it" ... You like them better than the Lollars?! Wow, that's very interesting:D, the Lollars that I heard (J pups) sounded pretty darn good, oh well ...

LoveThatBass likes this.
  18. madjazzbass

madjazzbass

Jan 5, 2014
    Earth
    Jimmy, Have you ever tried the PV 63 pup? If so, Do you prefer the CS62 over it? The PV 63 I hear has more bottom end.

LoveThatBass likes this.
  19. madjazzbass

madjazzbass

Jan 5, 2014
    Earth
    Cool, That's the/a question I've been meaning to ask; How do the '74 pups compare to the CS 60's pups? I have the CS60's and I really like them a lot, I feel they're the best sounding J pups that I'VE ever heard; but I keep reading here about how Fat and Warm the 74 pups are, so of course I'm interested in maybe trying a set.

20. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I have not, sorry. I've stuck with the Geezers since I got them and haven't been in the market. I tend to quit buying stuff once I'm happy.

miles'tone, mpdd and madjazzbass like this.