1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender "Pure Vintage" Pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by 2manynotes, Jan 23, 2014.

1. So you like the CS bridge more than the pure vintage '64?

2. 2manynotes

2manynotes Initiative comes to thems that wait.

Jun 22, 2012
    Right here. See?
    It's beefier. However, it may not be a good combination with the Pure Vintage 64 neck pickup. Only one way to find out.

3. I think you should try it.

Can you see any difference in the way the pickups are built?

4. I guess the CS are more like a 'pumped up' vintage reissue. In that case the 64's are probably the better bet.

Thanx for the pictures, I was very curious.

5. Oh, I took another look at the 74's vs 75's.
    I noticed the 74's have quite a bit more windings around the bobbin copared to the 75's.

Dennis Davis likes this.
  6. amigoz2k

amigoz2k

Jan 19, 2014
    Hi TB friends anyone experience fitting problems with Pure Vintage 74 pups on Squier VM 70 bass guitar ?
    cause i heared that both the bridge and the neck p ups are the same size

7. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

Bumping this for some info on the Pure Vintage 63 Precision pup. I've had experience with the Pure Vintage 58, CS 62 and currently use an "Original" (formerly 62RI) pickup so I'm fairly familiar with their performance. I'm also very familiar with Fralin, Duncan and Lollars offerings.

I suppose my curiousity is based on the hotter than usual 12k winding. While I have used the EMG GZR, which is the closest by design that I can compare to, I've for the most part never regularly used a P pickup hotter than 11k. According to Lindy Fralin, the higher the ohms (more windings), the more mids you get, but at a sacrifice to the highs.

I happen to feel that the high mids is where a good P pickup speaks, or has "it's voice" and is the frequency range where the differences between brands/makes become audibly apparent, IMO...even within a similar spec design.

I have watched a few demos of the AV 63RI, and while it does sound a bit woolier, or "darker" than the 58 (huge sounding, massive bottom) and CS (which I'm convinced is the Original with flat poles), I tend not to put too much faith in youtube sound bites, for reasons most of you can probably understand. I plan on trying them in my 2012 American Std w/rosewood board. It currently sports the Original 62's (not the stock CS 60's) with the heavily beveled poles. This has come to be my all time favorite pickup through the years, after being a long time Fralin user. They have a very pronounced upper and lower mid that balance well together and to my ears, are the truest sonic representation of the classic sound we've all come to know.

While I love the Fralins, the last two sets I've owned just seem different...as if they no longer have that characteristic soft "shimmer" to the highs, a longtime signature for Fralins pickups, for anyone familiar with them. Perhaps they're using a different winding pattern? Anyway...

I'm very interested to hear from anyone who has extensive experience with the 63 pickup, in both the AV and preferably AmStd. How would it sonically compare to the usual cast of characters? I'm looking for punch, with a broad mid spectrum and the ability to achieve that signature P growl with the throaty high mids that have defined it. What would I be losing in the switch from the Original? What would I be gaining? I use a .05 capacitor and 250k pots, as opposed to the .1 cap often found paired with these pickups.

8. Sounds like you already have what you like and want

9. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

True, but with the Original likely being the pup I finally settle on, I may have to take the 63 for a spin to at least quell my curiosity. Also, there doesn't seem to be too much info from aftermarket users. I'm being offered one at a decent price so I figured I'd hit up some users here before going forward, lest it be "more of the same".

LoveThatBass likes this.
  10. Let me know what you think of it. I have been curious about them myself.

freedomryder and petrus61 like this.
  11. I changed the pickups in my white dot & bound Jazz Bass. I had a set of the Fender Original Vintage Jazz Bass pickups installed.
    The Original Vintage units have a midrange bump to their straight signal. I have an original 1974 sunburst Jazz Bass which sounds great. So, I thought I'd try out the True Vintage 74 jazz pickups to see if they could get a sound closer to my vintage bass.
    The True Vintage pickups have the same grey bobbins and wire as used on the 74 pickups. Pickups of that era were wound differently to the 60s style units to. The result being that the True Vintage 74 Jazz pickups have a slightly deeper low end fundamental, with a more aggressive sounding top end when compared to the Original Vintage units. The True Vintage units also have the period correct flush pole pieces (the Original Vintage ones have beveled edges to the pole pieces - which also protrude above the top of the pickup cover).
    The True Vintage pickups do not have the middle bids which the Original Vintage ones do.
    The output level isn't noticeably different compared to the previous units.
    I am very pleased with them.

this HTML class. Value is http://www.talkbass.

Last edited: May 30, 2015
  12. Precibass

Precibass

Mar 2, 2015
    Great thread guys. I am also interested in comparison between Fender Originals, 62CS and 63 Pure Vintage pickups. I have ash maple p bass with 57RI pickups (A poles hightened). Best sound so far, but I miss that distinct grit of 62 style pickups. I would love to find something similar to 62 sound but still want that woody bassy sound which I can hear in 57RI pickups. I´ve heard that Antiquity II 60s Pride is the best for 62 character along with strong bass. Maybe it is a way to go for me.

13. FirewalZ

FirewalZ

Aug 14, 2014
    S.E. Michigan
    Bump....I'm currently considering upgrading my Am Special P with either the CS62's or the newer 63 pure vintage......

14. jmpiwonka

jmpiwonka

Jun 11, 2002
    you guys that have played the 63 precision pup, is the top end balanced with the mids and bass?
    i mean in volume, fine if they sound thick, but is the g string as loud as the E, A and D strings?

15. FirewalZ

FirewalZ

Aug 14, 2014
    S.E. Michigan
    I done a lot of googleing and have not found any samples of the Pure Vintage p-up's....let alone a comparison with the CS62's.

16. jmpiwonka

jmpiwonka

Jun 11, 2002
    my thinking is, and this might be way off but..., i had a fender original precision pickup (beveled poles), measured 10.88K on my meter. was a nice pickup, good output, pretty even, lively and complex sounding. could've lived with it just fine, but that upper mid bump was just a bit too much with roundwounds.
    so maybe if the pure vintage 63 pup is similar but wound a little hotter it will be just what i'm looking for.

probably just have to try one. it will be a while though, i still have to find a nice neck to put on this bass i'm putting together as a backup.

17. leonard

leonard

Jul 31, 2001
    Yurop
    Does anyone have any more insight about the Pure Vintage 58 Precision pickup?

I have been playing the Duncan SPB-1 and EMG GZR on my Am Std P. Both pickups are fine but there's just this one thing. The SPB-1 has subdued upper mids to my ears. The GZR on the other hand is quite opposite on this point. Loads of upper mids.

Right now the bass has the GZR. The Am Std P has a solid construction and because of that has a snappy sound. Added to that I like roundwounds and play with a hard touch. All this together makes my playing sound very in your face, upper middy.

Would the 58 be of any help? It definitely sounds great on the Fender Youtube vid and many others too. Doesn't look too bad either. Nice vintagey looking pole pieces.

0992240000_merch_frt_001_nr.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
  18. FirewalZ

FirewalZ

Aug 14, 2014
    S.E. Michigan
    I had gone ahead and put the Original 62's on my P bass. IMO they sound great with flats and seem to be geared with that in mind, they may be a bit "to much" for bright rounds. I intentionally made this the kind of sample I wish i had, slow tempo with long full notes so you can really hear the tone.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
    jallenbass, sideFX, reddog and 2 others like this.
  19. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    I have install the Pure Vintage 63 pup in my Squier CV 60P along with 760FL , Fender Vintage Bridge and Fender .1uf 150v WAX cap.
    My Cv 60P pickup height setting is base on Fender Recommand Setup. E & A 8/64" , D & G 6/64".

So, i can tell you, all the string sound equal loud. Along with the part upgrade i mention just now, the sound of 63pup (with 75% tone value) is fuller and organic than CV 60P stock hi-mass bridge and stock capasitor .

Just the G string little brighter than other string BUT not thin.

I own the Original 62 pup previously, maybe the hi-mid present and lacking bottom is not my favorite, BUT it is really Sound Open and Airly.
    SD SPB-1 is MORE lo-mid than Ori 62pup to my ear.

20. jmpiwonka

jmpiwonka

Jun 11, 2002
    the 63 pup is similar to the spb-1? low mid bump and thick sounding g string?