Fender "Pure Vintage" Pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by 2manynotes, Jan 23, 2014.

1. madjazzbass

madjazzbass

Jan 5, 2014
    Earth
    I hear ya; I have yet to try out my Geezer set cause I don't have all of the parts yet for my Warmoth build, Ha! can't wait.

JimmyM likes this.
  2. Too muddy maybe ... these pickups are too on the low side

3. KingT

KingT

Feb 3, 2016
    I've just installed AVRI 75 Jazz pickups in my Squier VM 70's, they sound great and definitely are upgrade to stock Fender designed pickups.
    I have a question, is it normal that neck PU has poles sticking out , and bridge pickup has its poles in level with PU cover.

Also NECK PU (pn: 005-5230-000) came with waxed cloth vintage style wires and BRIDGE PU (pn: 005-5231-000) came with poly wires, both are new and came in original sealed package and both have grey bobbin.

MHzVh0e.

CHEERS..

4. Pete Greaves

Pete Greaves

May 1, 2014
    So I over time bought the 58 Pure Vintage PBass, the 63 Pure Vintage and the 62 Custom, all used off Ebay, so I have tried them in the same bass along with various others like a Nordstrand, Standard Bartolini, old Hi-A etc. The 58 has a great vintage sound and to my ear lots of warmth, great for retro. The 62 is bright and punchy and sits in the mix really nicely. The 63 is a different beast, punchy, more bass nice mids, but definitely mellower. To me the 63 is kind of like a classic Bart, first time I played a Bart PBass pickup I picked upI was underwhelmed (maybe the expectation was too high). The more I played it, the more it grew on me, the voicing is subtle, and truly it's hard to mess the sound up. Right now of the three I would rank them as the 63, 58 and then the 62, I have left the 63 in one bass, the other two are out. (I also have a Bart in a PBass). Having said that I have to say that if you like a modern sound I have a Lakland NeoPunch in a bass that is incredible, and and SGD Pbass pickup I got used off Ebay (and yes I have ready all the threads about SGD), and I think the SGD blows them all away, just subtle overtones when you dig and an amazing growl.

madjazzbass and Hillsidebass like this.
  5. madjazzbass

madjazzbass

Jan 5, 2014
    Earth
    Pete Greaves seems to know exactly what he's talking about. I haven't tried as many P pups as he did, but I did have the Custom 62's and now I have the 63 pure vintage P pups and he's spot on the way he described the two as well as the Bartolini P pup, I had a set in a BC Rich Mockingbird I had (from my Metal days:spit:) and that Bass pretty much Detroyed every Bass in my "stable" at one time as far as warmth, punch and clarity (I've since sold it on Ebay) but that thing sounded incredible; I tried for a good while to capture that sound/tone in some of my other Basses with no success, the closest I've come is the 63 pure vintage P pup I have in my Black P/J Bass (with a CS 60's J pup in the bridge) they work great together AND soloed. The other Amazing sounding P pup that I have is the EMG GZR P/J set. Both pups (to me) sound absolutely fantastic; the P pup is not as warm as the Fender 63 PV, but it's got punch and it's clear as a bell, and the J pup growls like nobodys business. Those EMG's are Fantastic, I'm gonna put a set of the JVX's in another Bass ... maybe my Amer. Dlx. Jazz.drool

JimmyM likes this.
  6. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    I found the balance in between PV 63 pup and GZR pup = Benson Custom P pup ( with request ).

YAP_0377.JPG YAP_0378.JPG YAP_0379.JPG

7. BassBuzzRS

BassBuzzRS

Oct 18, 2005
    Norway
    `
    Soooo, the lo-mids of the 63 + the hi-mids of the Geezer? What about treble and bass?

8. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    Bass is close to 63, but the E is notable better focus and clear . Treble is not sharp as GZR while wide open tone knob.

9. AngelCrusher

AngelCrusher Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2004
    Mesa Boogie, Tech 21, Taylor
    I have recorded with a PV'63, GZR and the pickup that comes in the MIM classic 50's. The GZR is an awesome pickup, but I like it much better with rounds. It is more of a high mids focused pickup and it loses some magic with flats ( I use chromes). The AVRI 63 is the best P pickup I have used with flats. It has serious bark with rounds. I think the GZR is a slightly better choice for rounds, but they both sing. The American standard that comes with the MIM is not bad, but wound at a lower output and does not have the same mid detail as the 63. That being said, it is a very versatile pickup and if you want something balanced and classic sounding, it's tough to go wrong there.

IMO the PV63 is the best P pickup I have ever used. You put crispy flats on it, and it's over. Best recording bass I have ever used. This pup is best suited for players with the ability to bring the treble out more with their hands. It is not a dark pickup by any means, in fact it is exceptionally clear. But with the right attack, your upper octave notes will sound clear as a bell and never harsh or brittle.

10. Seminal post !! Thanks !!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

11. zortation

zortation

Dec 26, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    None of the pickups Fender sells separately have anything to do with the ones that come in their vintage reissue models, that's pretty much been true since day one.

12. Sure?
    Why according to you? This may be an interesting point ... please expand on the subject ...

13. zortation

zortation

Dec 26, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    Some from personal experience, and just common business sense. A while back I dropped in a set of Custom Shop '60s J bass pickups from the stock ones on a American Vintage '62...not even close. The stockers were worlds better sounding.

Why would Fender sell you the stock pickups from one of their pricey American Vintage models? Those pickups are some of the best sounding single coil pickups found anywhere, and they would never sell them alone to the customer. They want to sell you the whole bass.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
  14. Opinions ... opinions ... noted

15. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Hence, why the non-Fender replacement pickup business is so healthy :D

zortation likes this.
  16. To be honest also the Fender one ... in the end we should all install a solderless harness a start trying a lot of different brands pickups to finally find the one that we really like although this may be an expensive exercise

17. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I don't get why we need to use solder for pickups at all anymore. Solderless makes things so much easier for people like me who have weak soldering skills.

18. AngelCrusher

AngelCrusher Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2004
    Mesa Boogie, Tech 21, Taylor
    So the pure vintage pickups you can buy are not the same? Not sure i agree with this since they have been putting CS pickups in their american standards recently.

Love to hear more people’s takes on this one.

19. Fun Size Nick

Fun Size Nick

Feb 21, 2006
    Hong Kong
    Yeah...I'm definitely interested in hearing more evidence to suggest this, but I would hate for that to become TB accepted wisdom without some serious backing!

20. Correct !