1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Rumble Club

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BumbleB, Mar 25, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Michael B

Michael B Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2015
    Lowell, MA
    The web page is fine. The support link doesn't list the pdf

GonePlaid likes this.
  2. G-Dog

G-Dog

Feb 12, 2016
    If you click on the Support tab you should see something like this:

Screenshot_20180708-162436.

Giffro and GonePlaid like this.
  3. Michael B

Dec 16, 2015
    Lowell, MA
    Ok, I get it now. It's not in the list under Fender Manuals which is where I kept getting directed there.
    I got It now. Thx all.

4. G-Dog

G-Dog

Feb 12, 2016
    Oh, yeah. If you went to the bottom of the page and clicked Manuals under Customer Service, then click on Fender® Bass Amplifier Owner's Manuals (Current) on the Product Owner's Manuals page then you'll get this page, where the Stage and Studio are conspicuous by their absence.

Screenshot_20180708-165924.

GonePlaid likes this.
  5. Michael B

Dec 16, 2015
    Lowell, MA
    Curious why there is a manual impedence switch on the Stage. If I understand it you have it on 8 with no extension every time. And on 4/2.6 if you attach a 8 or 4 every time. It seems that leaving it up to the user invites a potential problem.

GonePlaid likes this.
  6. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 Mesa Engineering! Warwick-G&L-Source Audio Supporting Member

May 7, 2007
    Stanislaus
    You can set it to 4/2.6 with no harm, just loss of output power. Just do not leave it on 8 when you add an extension cab. This was done to allow maximum output when used as a combo.

GonePlaid likes this.
  7. Michael B

Dec 16, 2015
    Lowell, MA
    Yeah exactly. I don't see using it that way with loss of power and no cab. So really there are only 2 usable settings. Therefore, in my opinion the switch should be automatic when you insert the extension cable (and a load is detected) so that the user isn't capable of running it in any way that could harm the amp. That would further limit accidents and service claims.

GonePlaid likes this.
  8. G-Dog

G-Dog

Feb 12, 2016
    Up position is intended for no cabinet or a single 8 ohm cabinet.

Down position is intended for two 8 ohm cabs or a single 4 ohm cab.

Fender Explanation of Fender Rumble Stage 800 Impedance Switch

GonePlaid likes this.
  9. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    It might, but I'm surprised you aren't getting the growl you want. I find increasing the gain helps with that. You can also experiment with the OD to see if that will help.
    One other thing. When you say "growl", the first thing I think of is a Jazz bass. I am a die hard P fan, but I really do think the J will growl better than a P. ymmv

GonePlaid likes this.
  10. mesaplayer83

mesaplayer83

Jun 27, 2017
    I had both combos - the 200 and 500 at the same time - IMO, the 500 isn't significantly louder than the 200, and to *my* ears, the 200 sounds better... Odds are strong that this is because I tend to prefer the sound of 15" speakers over 10s for the most part - but I still have a Rumble 200 Combo, and the 500 Combo is long gone...

OldFunBass, stingray69 and GonePlaid like this.
  11. dawhatthevid

dawhatthevid

Feb 2, 2015
    the headroom of the 500 makes it sound different + the effect of the 10s and the placement of the reflex holes.
    when the 200 runs loud, the limiter kicks in more often (more sustain, more even volume/less peaks), the 500 in the same situation produces more peaks and mid growl. just my experience.

Giffro, GonePlaid and Ryeguy63 like this.
  12. tom dicus

tom dicus

May 17, 2017
    Wasilla, AK USA
    i suck at bass but will never give up
    I tend to agree with you. I like the warmer sound of the 15 over the 10. I bet the 500 with the 410 would sound pretty good with my Rickenbacker. Must try that, but there is no doubt that the 15's just sound so much better with my P bass!

GonePlaid likes this.
  13. mesaplayer83

mesaplayer83

Jun 27, 2017
    To each their own - I gigged both several times, and just posted how I perceived things... To my ears, the 10s in the 500C didn't produce the mids I get out of the 15 in the 200C...

At the time, I flipped the 500C, kept the 200C, then returned that for a refund to help pay for a Subway 115 cab... Later on, I bought another 200C, and still have it - I frequently use it out of convenience, as long as it'll meet the gig's requirements... if not, I bring a Subway D800 and one or two Subway 115 cabs, depending...

GonePlaid likes this.
  14. mesaplayer83

mesaplayer83

Jun 27, 2017
    It's very possible that my choices of basses is factoring in to my perceptions here - I've mainly gigged my 200C with Fenders(P, J, and Mustang) and USA Peaveys(Fury, Foundation, Foundation 5), and it's given me exactly what I'm looking for sound-wise, without too much knob turning...

GonePlaid likes this.
  15. Bizorballs

Bizorballs

May 13, 2018
    Bend, Oregon
    Thanks. Gigged this weekend and ran gain @ 3 o’clock with mild overdrive. She growled.

amoodymule and Gravedigger Dav like this.
  16. tb4sbp

tb4sbp

May 9, 2017
    North East
    Question: (Sorry if this has been asked)
    This is for those that have been able to compare both
    Now that the Stage 800 has been out for a while how does it compare to the 500C? I haven't been able to compare these amps at a show or band practice volumes.
    I have the Studio 40 but mainly play through head phones. I have tried the 200C and 500C but only in stores.

I must admit though that both the 200C and 500C sound great.
    I am going to upgrade soon and it is a toss up between the 200C, 500C or Stage 800
    Whatever input you all can offer would be great, thanks

17. G-Dog

G-Dog

Feb 12, 2016
    Since you have the Studio 40 and have tried the 200 and 500 combos you see what different animals they are. You could slave a 500c to your Studio 40, FX Mono Send to FX Return, and come pretty close to the Stage that way. You'd only be lacking a few hundred watts and the 4 ohm extension cab capability. If you can live with that, then your choice is easy. But if those few hundred extra watts and/or 4 ohm extension cab (or two 8 ohm cabs) mean something to you, then your choice is easy the other way.

Are there any specific comparison questions you may have?

You'll find lots of Rumble info and Stage & Studio info on the Fender Rumble Club Wiki page.

BBassBassington and GonePlaid like this.
  18. Doesn't going FX Send to FX Return bypass the volume control on the 500 combo?
    I recall Linnin posting that his 200 Combo was really loud when he did the same with a 40 Studio into it.

AUX in is the same way, no volume control.

GonePlaid likes this.
  19. Michael B

Dec 16, 2015
    Lowell, MA
    GonePlaid likes this.
  20. G-Dog

G-Dog

Feb 12, 2016
    Yes, any enslaved Rumbles, or Rumbles receiving music transmission via AUX or Bluetooth, needs to have their volume controlled at the source. The mastered amp, and the phone (or whatever), needs to have their volume turned down to start off. It can then be brought up to desired levels also at the source.

[Another reason I like my Bassman combos, whose Master Volumes control their enslaved volumes.]