Fender Rumble Club

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BumbleB, Mar 25, 2013.

Tags:
  1. John B jr

John B jr

Oct 16, 2016
    Sunnyvale, CA
    They don't anymore. We were the first and last. The owner actually paid for the big banner to hang up on the Moorpark side. We didn't get all the way through that sixth gig before getting shut down. That was it for unauthorized public performances at our volume. We played through everything else though. Harleys roaring by, ambulances going to Valley Med, cars that go Boom! It was a thing. We had fun.

SoulReflection and Miles_ONeal like this.
  2. MakoMan

MakoMan

Oct 17, 2011
    Ottawa, Canada
    Our local May Show Festival scheduled for this past weekend had to be cancelled due to social distancing, which was a bit of a blow to our band as it is usually the kick off to our summer outdoor festival season. We had not gotten together for over two months but we decided to do a Facebook Live performance on Saturday morning, while respecting social distancing rules. We set up outdoors in a large space and all used our own equipment, with our two guitarists playing through Fishman mini amps and using them for vocals and our drummer playing a Cajon. I myself sang through a Roland Cube Street and used my Rumble 40 for bass. As we were about 5 miles apart from each other, I was a bit worried about whether the 40 would be loud enough but it really surprised me.
    We thought we might get 10 people watching if we were lucky, but it was a huge success by our standard. At our peak we had over 300 live viewers and we've had several thousand views and over 100 comments in the three days since the live performance.
    Here is a photo of our performance with the Rumble 40 square in the middle. The grass was wet so I had to stand on the mat from the back of my car and put the amp on the aluminum case I use to carry equipment. But it was a blast! :)

2020 May Show 1.jpeg

Last edited: May 20, 2020
    MCF, starjag, pbass74 and 18 others like this.
  3. Gustopher

Gustopher Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2018
    SWVA
    Great looking backdrop too, I dig it! Our first show back is next month as long as VA makes it to phase 2 of reopening, it's a small outdoor show... looking forward to it.

MakoMan, Miles_ONeal and G-Dog like this.
  4. Jim85IROC

Jim85IROC

Mar 26, 2020
    A few weeks ago I went on my own version of a guitar safari, and picked up 3 guitars and 4 amps from a guy, including a previous generation Rumble 15, and on the same outing, picked up an almost brand new Rumble 40 from a different guy. It was a very productive outing!

That old Rumble 15 actually surprised me. It sounded good, had good output even on the open E. Between the old 15 and the new R40, I definitely preferred the sound of the 40, especially the "vintage" setting. I ended up selling the R15 and kept the R40, but I was really impressed at how capable that R15 was for it's size & price.

MakoMan, Miles_ONeal, G-Dog and 4 others like this.
  5. John B jr

John B jr

Oct 16, 2016
    Sunnyvale, CA
    The foot-tambourine, so Bohemian! Yes, an R-40 can hold its own in a small open space!

6. John Stephen

John Stephen Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2018
    SF Bay Area
    In my experience, a Rumble 40 can hold its own in lots of places where you wouldn't expect it to. It definitely is the most powerful pound-for-pound combo out there, at least that I know of. And @MakoMan, that photo looks like it was a fun experience despite the circumstances. Nice going!

7. Bluzlvr

Bluzlvr

Aug 8, 2012
    Dayton, OH
    I picked up an Eminence Basslite S2010 to replace the speaker in my Studio40. I believe it was a well spent $100. The new speaker absolutely sounds better than the original. Maybe a little more volume, definitely better sounding. I don't hear that "wooliness" anymore. Although the original didn't show any damage, it must have been worked hard before I got it. I guess that's what you get when you buy used, but I only paid $250 and now an extra hundo, it's still a good deal. I thought about getting additional dampening, but chose not to. There seems to be plenty of batting inside the Studio40 already. Great little practice amp. My wife probably wishes I didn't get the speaker, because I mostly ran it through the headphones. Now I need to break that speaker in. ;-)

8. John Stephen

Aug 16, 2018
    SF Bay Area
    Does replacing a speaker requiring soldering?

9. Bluzlvr

Bluzlvr

Aug 8, 2012
    Dayton, OH
    In my case it didn't. Most speaker have tabs on the connector and the wires slide onto the tabs. YMMV

Miles_ONeal and Gustopher like this.
  10. John Stephen

Aug 16, 2018
    SF Bay Area
    OK thanks for the info.

Gustopher likes this.
  11. G-Dog

G-Dog What a fun place! Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2016

Well, you certainly qualify to join The Club, Jimbo! Just show us a pic of your Rumble to get a number. :cool:

Last edited: May 20, 2020
    MCF likes this.
  12. Jim85IROC

Jim85IROC

Mar 26, 2020
    Here's a pic I just snapped of the Rumble 40:
    49916326383_85dfdfd2e9_c.jpg

Here's the Rumble 15 that I sold:
    49917146147_ba42c564bc_c.jpg

13. G-Dog

Feb 12, 2016

Jimbo, that's lovely! @Jim85IROC, you are now member #1222 in the Fender Rumble Club. Congratulations and welcome to The Club in particular, and TalkBass in general. Also, checkout the Rumble Club Wiki page, linked in my signature, for lots more Rumble info.

Tell us of your Rumble journey, Jimmy. Do you play your 6-string guitars thru your bass amps? I do! It gives a wonderfully mellow tone. That 15 looks like a V1 by the black rubber corners. But I thought the V1s had the red lights in the bottom port that pulsed to the music. Did yours have that? I thought that was cheesy at the time, but I've changed my mind since then. At one of my jams last year a very elderly 6-string player lit up his Rumble 25, quite literally, with the most soulful blues lead I've ever heard! I'm totally a fan of those lights now.

PSX_20200119_202729.jpg

Rumble On!

MCF, chupacerveza and Miles_ONeal like this.
  14. Jim85IROC

Jim85IROC

Mar 26, 2020
    I don't recall seeing any pulsing red lights, but I only played it for 2 minutes to verify functionality before I sold it.

There isn't much of a Rumble journey unfortunately. I picked up my first bass (see avatar) a couple months ago just because the price was right and I wanted to be able to lay down some bass tracks to some upcoming recordings that I hope to do. I played the bass through my Katana guitar amp for a while, but it just so happened that the R40 popped up at a great price in the same town as the guitar haul I got the R15 through, so I drove out and got all of it at once.

Since I'm just a bedroom player (well, den technically), it's unlikely that I'll have any need to upgrade beyond the R40 at least for the foreseeable future. For now I'm having fun playing bass along with my son when he practices his guitar lessons.

15. G-Dog

Feb 12, 2016

Well, it sounds like an excellent use of your stimulus check, or whatever source of funds. Keep on Rumbling!

16. Miles_ONeal

Miles_ONeal Wrangler of Raucous Thunder Supporting Member

Dec 1, 2017
    Round Rock, TX
    Not all journeys require constant gear acquisition or turnover.

I have a Rumble 100. It's my practice amp but works as a stage bass monitor or amp for a small club. I don't foresee needing anything else any time soon. But I'm still on a journey with the amp. I'm fine that it's not epic for now, whether it ever is or not.

MCF, alanloomis1980, Bluzlvr and 4 others like this.
  17. dawhatthevid

dawhatthevid

Feb 2, 2015
    nice, did you try to daisychain it before?if so, did it deliver 'more' or was it barely noticable? i'm thinking of getting a rumble 100 for home practice and for adding a 'topping' to my 2x112 stack for closer-to-ear experience.

Miles_ONeal and EatS1stBassist like this.
  18. jdh3000

jdh3000

May 16, 2016
    Question please regarding the Rumble 500 combo horn...

When I got the amp about week ago I got a chance to play around with it only a little, but didn't get another chance until today.

Today I flipped the horn switch on but it changed nothing in tone.

I know this amp is known for a darker tone, but engaging the horn should have brightened it up a bit.

I've been reading something about it being a compression tweeter or something to that effect. Not sure what that exactly is.

It appears to be out. Help me here if I'm wrong because I don't know this amp well enough, but I shouldn't I be hearing a considerable difference when switching it on? I can't hear it doing anything.

EatS1stBassist likes this.
  19. EatS1stBassist

EatS1stBassist

Apr 15, 2016
    So cal
    I could never hear any difference on my 200c
    ??:rollno:

jdh3000 likes this.
  20. (Rumble 40) Does anyone notice a slight drop in volume when using AUX input? I'm getting this when I'm watching a practice video from iPhone to AUX input. But as soon as there is no more signal, even though it's still plugged in, the volume for the bass goes up again. Though it was kind of odd.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 4, 2021