Fender Rumble LT25, Studio 40 & Stage 800

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by G-Dog, Jul 30, 2019.

1. Ted S

Ted S

Sep 20, 2018
    This is a gremlin that I've seen, too. Extremely frustrating. Even with passive bass, so battery was not my issue. Short of sending it in for repair/replacement, here are a couple of things you can try.Have read that the effects jacks on the back could possibly develop a bad/dirty connection on their normally closed contacts and that jamming a 1/4 plug in and out of each jack a few times could clean those contacts. That one makes some sense to me. But a couple of months ago, when the problem manifest it's ugly head, in frustration I tried a FACTORY RESET. Shouldn't have fixed anything, but I have not had a problem since. Let us know how it all goes with you.

chupacerveza and iagtrplyr like this.
  2. Cardsfan_69

Cardsfan_69

Jan 21, 2019
    Iowa
    Took just the combo home without my ext cab. I did a bunch of fiddling around, changed cords, changed batteries, couldn't really come up with anything.
    Really let it eat at home. Wasn't sure if it was any different. Took it back to practice, plugged the ext cab in and it rocked it's normal loud volume. Played New Year's eve with an outrageously loud stage volume due to our older fellas requiring side fills. The Stage 800 did not disappoint.
    So I didn't fix it, but it's better. I never feel good about that scenario!

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
    rmc63, iagtrplyr and G-Dog like this.
  3. G-Dog

G-Dog What a fun place! Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2016
    Well, I, for one, was disappointed that there were no new Rumble, or even Bassman, amps at the NAMM show last week. (sniff) :bawl: I may get over it. Especially if Fender does better for us bassists at Summer NAMM 2020!

But, the new Fender TONE 3.0 App, announced last week with the new Mustang GTX amps, gives me hope that this might also be available for the Rumble Stage and Studio amps, at some point, with some new functionality for us. At the very least, this video and this video show the new Fender TONE 3.0 App being used on a PC insread of just a phone or tablet. And the interface seems more analog-looking, instead of quite so digital. The Fender Mustang LT50 product page also talks about using the new TONE 3.0 on a PC or Mac. But, strangely, the GTX50 & GTX100 pages do not! :confused:

And, holding out even more hope, the Mustang GT forum over on the Fender Forums, are even discussing the use of the new Fender TONE 3.0 App to download the new GTX firmware onto the old GT amps! If they can do that for the GTs, then why not the same for our beloved Rumble Stages & Studios? Same for the new 7-button footswitch announced with the new GTX amps. :whistle:

Am I getting my hopes up too much? What do you think? Not that I need, or even really want, another amp or upgraded firmware right now. I'm still in love with my Studio 40 and Rumble 500 combo (and Bassman 500 w/Neo 115) for now. Along with my Pbass Special, CIJ Jaguar and MP Starcaster bass, I believe I've got all I can handle of the bass world, already. But, I can dream, can't I?

How 'bout it? Do you dream?

4. Ted S

Ted S

Sep 20, 2018
    Re: "Never feel good about that scenario": Gigged Saturday with the Stage 800. It performed as the engineers envisioned...sounded fantastic, tons of power and headroom. not 1 glitch (except my imperfect playing). Still, the occasional thought ...will it act up again? Been good for many weeks now. Fingers crossed.

iagtrplyr, Cardsfan_69 and rmc63 like this.
  5. Cardsfan_69

Cardsfan_69

Jan 21, 2019
    Iowa
    I feel you! When it's right, it's so very right.

6. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    We did talk to the folks from Fender who confirmed that the new firmware will apply to the Rumble Stage and Studio amps. It will add I believe 11 new effects (patches?) and will allow for the use of their more complex foot controller.

7. G-Dog

Feb 12, 2016

Woo hoo! :hyper: Man, oh, man! :bassist: Now that is something to look forward to! :woot: Thank you, thank you, thank you, Tom! Tomasino! Tomarito! Tomalissimo! You da 'Tomic Bomb! Tom-o-my-heart! Rumblin' Tom the bassists best friend! Tommy-Tommy Oxenfree, Sir Tomahawkingston, ..., . . . .

8. G-Dog

Feb 12, 2016

Attention: Rumble Club Wiki Edit Alert!

Thanks, @tombowlus! Your post has been linked on the Rumble Club Wiki page in the TONE App Support section. We really appreciate your attention to our Rumble Ramblings here and ringing in with the news when you can. It's good to have connections, and we're honored to be connected with you.

Thank you, Tom, for this confirmation! :smug:

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
    tombowlus and iagtrplyr like this.
  9. iagtrplyr

iagtrplyr Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2013
    Clinton, IA
    Myself: gee, if only G'Dog would show some sort of appreciation or something. He's so tightly wound...

10. iagtrplyr

Apr 1, 2013
    Clinton, IA
    The perfect bass fill, pizza, and summer vacation! Oh yeah, a preamp tube in the Stage/Studio series.

G-Dog likes this.
  11. iagtrplyr

Apr 1, 2013
    Clinton, IA
    The firmware update is welcome because every computer needs one after a while. The foot controller, on the other hand, is neither here nor there for me, especially if it meant forking over another large sum to the Mothership. New effects though aren't a bad way to go, IMHO.

SoulReflection and G-Dog like this.
  12. wxfloyd

wxfloyd

Mar 4, 2005
    Denver, CO
    I've recently started getting back in to playing electric bass after a 12+ year hiatus. I already have my bass, a killer Ibanez SR1805 I got from the tb classifieds. I've been all over the place trying to decide what amp to get, initially thinking I'd get a separate basic head and cab, as I was somewhat hesitant of getting what is essentially a computer-driven amp. I also wanted to get something that would handle a live jam setting as I'd eventually like to start playing live again.
    Ultimately, I decided that since I like to play all kinds of different styles/genres of music, and that starting off I'll just be playing at home, that the Stage 800 was the best fit. I'll get to try all different types of amps/effects, and have the ability to jam quietly at home if need be.
    I just purchased one from Musicians Friend, who btw, gave me a decent discount when I chatted with them. Can't wait to get it and start trying out all the different models!

13. G-Dog

Feb 12, 2016

Well, that's fine, mario! Welcome back to playing bass and to TalkBass. Glad to hear of your return.

I must say, I applaud your self determination in making your own decision. And you've found just the right place here to help support that decision. Please feel free to ask whatever questions you may have, and/or browse the Stage & Studio section of the Rumble Club Wiki page, linked in my signature, for info.

This is the Rumble Stage & Studio sub-thread of the Fender Rumble Club where we give the main Club a break from the more technical aspects of these computer-driven amps. So, when you receive your new Rumble, and you eventually pause to take a breath, please take a photo and upload it to the main Club thread to join up with us!

If you believe that "variety is the spice of life", then your new Stage 800 will give you that, and much more! And we're here to help! Again, welcome! Can't wait for you to. . . .

Get Ready to Fire Up Your Ru-um-ble!

el_mariachi likes this.
  14. Cardsfan_69

Cardsfan_69

Jan 21, 2019
    Iowa
    Sweet! Welcome back to the low end.
    That Stage 800 ain't no joke, bro.. love mine.
    You will likely gravitate towards the 210 ext cab, its a great piece of gear as well!

15. Bluzlvr

Bluzlvr

Aug 8, 2012
    Dayton, OH
    Well, I've been able to give my Rumble 100 a workout. Played with a guitar and drummer. Guitar kinda loud(shocker, I know), drummer has good dynamics, but needed to stay up with the guitar. I was able to keep up pretty well. Turned the master up to almost 2 o'clock, but it was fine. Great tone from that little puppy. I did put it on a stand so I could get it up off the floor. I'll have to say that it doesn't sound as good as my 500C, but in that situation it sounded fine... and for $100 you can't beat it. We played some blues and classic rock. I still am not sure about running my Studio40 through it, via the FX send to FX return as has been talked about by many. I know that people say it turns that 40 into a 140, but I don't agree. I feel the 100 by itself is louder and the only control you have over the volume is the guitar volume knob. I didn't bring it to this practice, but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't have kept up as well. Don't get me wrong, I love the sounds that the Studio40 puts out when going through the 100, but it seems like a practice at home thing, more than a bring to practice thing. I'll bring it with me next time to see. It's small enough to grab on the way out. What are others' thoughts on this?

iagtrplyr likes this.
  16. G-Dog

Feb 12, 2016

That's great, Bluzy! The Rumble 100s have been getting a lotta love lately. But, I never read what version Rumble 100 you got for $1 per watt. Surely not the light new V3, which would match your R500c. Maybe the V2 with chrome corners? Or the V1 with rubber corners and flashing red lights (I love those things)?

Aha! Yes! You forgot to check the Connecting Combos Together section of the Rumble Club Wiki page linked in my signature. Specifically, the Chaining Stage or Studio To Another Rumble Works Differently link there. The RS40's FX Send level is apparently fixed without regard to the Master! Try running your RS40 FX Send to your 100's input (with flat settings)! That's how you turn that 40 into a 140. ;) Now . . . .

Fire Up Those Rumbles!

17. Bluzlvr

Bluzlvr

Aug 8, 2012
    Dayton, OH
    G-Dog, the Rumble 100 I'm have is the V3. I was not looking for another Rumble, but when that came available on CL, I jumped on it. Looks like new! When I first took it home, it was cutting out and I had to unplug and plug in the instrument cable from the jack and it would work again, for a little while. I thought, "Aha, that's why it was so cheap. Looks like I just wasted $100". But then I figured out that the 9v battery in my bass was almost dead. Changed that out and the 100 has worked like a champ, since. Every once in awhile you get lucky.

Yes I missed the part about running it into the input from my S40. I will give that a try. I had used it that way on another amp that had no fx loop and it worked very well. I was kinda afraid that I was overdriving the other amp and was going to hurt the amp or the speaker. That was a Fender BXR 100 and it was very loud for 100w. Big and heavy, though. I am now excited again to try that 100 with the Studio40 next time we jam.

chupacerveza, iagtrplyr and G-Dog like this.
  18. G-Dog

Feb 12, 2016

Wow! You certainly DID get lucky, lvr! That'd be a bargain at twice the price!! Congratulations on scoring the $100 100. :thumbsup:

That's how it worked for my RS40 & R500c when @vancamp hipped me to this situation. Just need to be wary of the EQ on your 100, especially the Gain and Overdrive (and buttons), 'cause it will effect the 100's tone, possibly in an unintended way. A plus of this arrangement is that you can crank the RS40 and keep the 100 at lower volume, if you wanna EQ the 100 differently, or whatever. :D

BTW, @vancamp, have you still been using yours this way since your revelation? (And thank you again for sharing that!) I've seen you advising others about this, and rightly so, but I'm curious about your own more recent experiences with it. Anything you can share? Are you gigging with it? :)

chupacerveza, iagtrplyr and Bluzlvr like this.
  19. Bluzlvr

Bluzlvr

Aug 8, 2012
    Dayton, OH
    Yep, the deal on that might even surpass the Rumble 112 cab I got for $150. Like I said, every once in awhile you get lucky. ;-)

iagtrplyr and G-Dog like this.
  20. vancamp

vancamp

Jan 22, 2008
    Oregon
    Just playing in the weekly old-folks garage band :) Mostly I've still been doing it that way, but I don't really need the volume. Also been trying with just the R100 recently, to see how that compares. Still not sure how much I need/want to carry around. The good news... they're both light and easy to haul.

iagtrplyr and G-Dog like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021