1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

First Act Bass...let the flame fest begin..

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ERIC31, Apr 17, 2010.

1. ERIC31

ERIC31

Jul 1, 2002
    Maricopa, AZ
    Yesterday I acquired one of these First Act Twisted 8 basses for $40! Amazing deal.:D

People talk so much *%#@ about First Act but I'm very pleased with this bass. Basswood body, maple neck, rosewood fretboard. I used it exclusively at band practice last night and it sounded great. All I did after I got it was to adjust the truss rod a bit, put some new strings on it, put some dice knobs on (a quirk of mine) and give it a good wipe down. The fret ends need some filing down but that's minor.

I still think too many people use their eyes instead of their ears when evaluating gear.:rollno: Since I love to tinker and upgrade, this bass will be getting a Basslines or Dimarzio P pickup, a good sheilding job and a Gotoh 201 bridge. I fully plan on gigging with this thing. :bassist::bassist:

100_2554.

2. BobWestbrook

BobWestbrook Mr.

Mar 13, 2006
    Philly suburb
    The important thing is - your cat likes it. If you like it, and your cat likes it, you're good to go. :)

3. Gord_oh

Gord_oh Midtown Guitars Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    good for you.
    people look at the headstock and judge to quickly IMO.
    (cheap bass = bad bassist):rollno:
    as long as you find "your" sound, who cares what its on, or what the price tag was.
    i dont.
    ive played a lot of basses with cheap written all over them,
    a lot of them sound really good, especially for the price point.

4. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    If it plays and sounds great, you got a excellent deal for $40.

5. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Kewl.

6. I actually like that shape a lot. its like a stingray-esque pickguard, jazzish shape, p pickup.. i like haha

7. +1

8. mophead

mophead Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2004
    Texas Panhandle
    Play the strings off it and then buy some more. The sound is in your fingers, not the bass.

9. ERIC31

ERIC31

Jul 1, 2002
    Maricopa, AZ
    THIS.

It appeals to me visually as well. I'm starting to like standing out from the crowd with non traditional shaped basses. You also can't go wrong with a fat P-bass pickup!

10. ERIC31

ERIC31

Jul 1, 2002
    Maricopa, AZ
    Richie likes this bass better than my OLP!:p:D

11. Don't believe that is solid basswood. It is almost definitely plywood.

I'm just saying. I mean, plywood does not equal junk.

12. I've always wanted one of those to mess around with, but I can never find them anymore. I want to get a few of their guitars too. They have some interesting shapes.

13. AgIdoc

AgIdoc

Nov 17, 2008
    Huntsville, TX
    i'm all about "thrifty"

14. ERIC31

ERIC31

Jul 1, 2002
    Maricopa, AZ
    For what it's worth, this is what they said on the website....

"A bass guitar for all music styles designed for classic looks with a modern twist. This single cutaway, 34” scale, contoured solid basswood body nails down the low end with ease, maintaining a comfortable and well-balanced feel. Split single coil pickups for warm, vintage-like tone and ultimate clarity. Maple neck, rosewood fingerboard, ultra-cool pearloid pickguard, and chrome hardware provide the finishing touches on this deep voiced beauty."

15. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Play what makes you happy....who cares what anyone else thinks ?

Good on you !

:)

The shape reminds me a bit of this:

[​IMG]

16. pica

pica Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Michigan
    I personally don't care for the style of it but for $40 you can't go wrong.

17. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

The issue most have with First Act is that they are generally sold at Walmart, are covered in fingerprints, missing a string or two, poorly set up, etc. Same with Rocker basses IMO.

If you like it and it was $40, good stuff.

I really want to try a First Act Delgada though. $1200 and MIA. Apparently they are great sounding/playing and good value for the $$$.

18. thumpbass1

thumpbass1

Jul 4, 2004
    You did great for 40 bucks! Just think of all of those snobby SX owners that paid 98 bucks or more for a functioning electric bass. Boy were they foolish.;)

19. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

LOL.

Yeah, they got ripped. Imagine paying almost ONE HUNDRED DOLLARS for a bass guitar? Crazy talk!;):D

20. Man, thats PUNK! Great man I may have to go down to wal mart and best buy and start looking for some diamonds in the rough