1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fodera Club Part XI

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Jan 20, 2012.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
  2. pringlw

pringlw

Nov 22, 2008
    Seattle Area
    In

DSC_0069-3.
    DSC_0066-3.
    fbooth2.

The singer from one of my bands - holding my newest bass at NAMM. Alas, I am not at NAMM..
    tn.

3. DELACIUS

DELACIUS

Sep 6, 2007
    Croatia
    In with my Foderas

ForumRunner_20120120_222640.

4. mrbassman_de

mrbassman_de Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2003
    Germany
    Cheers :)

[​IMG]

5. mrbassman_de

mrbassman_de Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2003
    Germany
    Far away from all exciting things happening at NAMM I now completed my Imperial Fretless update.

I installed Graphtech bridge saddles and a Piezo Buffer, updated the passive electronics with the new Pope pre and the result floored me. Fretless heaven.

If anyone is interested in the detailed config, shoot me a PM...

[​IMG]

6. Lennard III.

Lennard III.

Aug 21, 2008
    Germany
    Endorsing Artist : Fodera Guitars , Harvest fine leather bags & straps
    IN !!!!

attachment.

7. I am in...

Peace,

T

8. Someday I'll take some better pictures...but here's my '88 Monarch Elite :hyper:

DSC01629.

9. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    in

fbooth4.

10. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    yummy

11. curt basner

curt basner

May 11, 2006
    Las Vegas, NV
    I gotta tell you that if I had the cash, this one, a refinished 2001 that's still available, would be at my house in about 3 seconds... It is absolutely stunning, and I'd have it along with the custom I have on order...

Jason, can I have it, please? Seriously, what's your opinion on this one? How would it compare to the MG shape one i have on order, do you think? I know, a better question to ask in a personal e-mail, but hey, if it helps someone else decide to acquire it, so be it...

NewBornImage_1949.

12. nostatic

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    fwiw there are three top woods that slay me due in part to the subtlety:

- walnut (the claro walnut on my Rob Allen is sick)
    - rosewood (Jason's Monarch is amazing - don't see many rosewood tops)
    - ebony (another uncommon top, though standard on the YYD)

The Mac ebony top on this bass reminds me of Jason's Monarch. I'm partial to darker woods and Macassar is great because it usually has more prominent grain than most ebony. I didn't play that one, but can check it out Sunday. Not in my wheelhouse due to the 35" scale and probable weight but I am willing to be that the B-string on that is pretty much in Steinway land.

13. curt basner

curt basner

May 11, 2006
    Las Vegas, NV
    Todd,

If that bad boy is still available on Sunday, would you do me the honor of playing it and giving me an opinion? Like you, the 35" would be an issue, as I am a very small person, and it was a question in my mind whether the new MG shape I have on order should be a 33" instead of a 34" (Jason convinced me that the 34" would be better on my particular bass, especially if I could handle the 34" scale on my YYD, which I can). Still, that extra inch might be a problem, given I am 5'6", and have the smallest hands/shortest fingers of any adult male I've come across. Then again, for the right reason, I suppose anything can be addressed...

14. nostatic

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Far be it from me to be the voice of reason, but given that I'd personally avoid the 35". While I have one 35" scale bass left (the RA), I strongly prefer 34" and also liked the quick spin I took on the MGS which is 33" scale. The reality is that while a bird in the hand is always preferable, another stunning Fodera will come along used and/or you can pick what you want buying new. In my case I knew I wanted second 4-string Monarch so the CPO made sense and then putting one on order just gives me options down the road.

While the want/need thing is always up for discussion, I actually don't have a fretted 5-string right now and it hasn't really bugged me in any gigging situation. The MGS will be a completely different beast (strung E-C) and I have a specific set of things I want to do with that bass that can't as easily be covered by anything else. It is funny because I spent over a decade with only 5-strings and only forced myself to pick up a 4 again last year. It took me three tries but it finally stuck and now I find myself preferring that. So I'm in no hurry to have a traditional 5'er at this point.

If you want/need a 5-string strung B-G, then I think 34" or 35" scale is the way to go. My RA is 35" scale but frankly that is the only bass that I've found comfortable at that scale length due to the way it is built. The ES5 that I played at BPL was awesome and was a 34" scale, so I have no worries about the quality of a B-string on a Fodera.

15. curt basner

curt basner

May 11, 2006
    Las Vegas, NV
    Todd,

All clearly understood. I guess that's why I decided that the 34" was the way to go, as it will be a B-G bass. While I would absolutely trust that even a 33" Fodera would have a perfectly fine low B, I figure that a 35" would be even better. I'll await your opinion, if for no other reason than it helps pass the time, dreaming about other new Foderas. I suppose I can assume that asking you to check out this ebony topped 5 string won't be too huge of an imposition?

16. nostatic

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    I live to serve :D

Will check it out Sunday. I'll also have some preliminary quick and dirty recordings on the YYD for comparison with the YYS Sunday night.

And now, off to a gig. I swore I was going to dial it back some in 2012 but somehow ended up with 14 gigs this month. If only all of them paid - but, it always could be worse.

17. cewillm

cewillm #1 Adam Clayton fan

Jan 25, 2010
    Philadelphia, PA
    [​IMG]

I'm SO in!

18. curt basner

curt basner

May 11, 2006
    Las Vegas, NV
    Kewl! Thank you, kind sir! And I do look forward to your Standard/Deluxe comparo. I'm REALLY thinking we need to get together and check out all this Fodera fabulousness.

19. TimothyGroovy

TimothyGroovy Commercial User

Aug 3, 2000
    Hong Kong
    Owner: Uni••Sound Endorsing Artist: La Bella Strings
    I'm in... around 2 weeks to wait..finally..

395536_10150608592732873_562217872_11123528_472645655_n-1.

20. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    A few shots from NAMM today.

Here's Matt Garrison jamming on his new MG Standard with Mike Pope on his Viceroy.

DSCN0054.

DSCN0055.

How about the top on this Emperor Standard?

DSCN0056.

DSCN0049.

This one is "used" ... belonged to Kevin in San Diego.

DSCN0051.

DSCN0052.

DSCN0058.

A couple Standards.

DSCN0059.

Not so standard.

DSCN0060.

DSCN0063.

DSCN0064.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.