1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fodera Tone Blocks

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JPMcGuire, Oct 7, 2017.

1. Walnut tone block

51.2%
  2. Maple tone block

48.8%
  1. JPMcGuire

JPMcGuire Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2008
    Lake Orion, Michigan
    Hi all fodera aficionados

I'm at the last leg for finalizing my fodera spec before the lock in and struggling with one remaining item, the tone block wood choice. I've goten lots of good feedback from friends but still can't fully picture how a walnut vs maple tone block would influence how the bass speaks and thought i would put this out for some further input from greater community.

Here are the for sure specs. Bass will primarily be used in worship and jazz settings, but hoping would be able to handle a rock/pop or jam band gig if needed too. I like tight low end with punch and sustain and fairly articulate highs that sound great for chords but have enough heft not to sound thin and get lost in a big mix.

Monarch Deluxe 5 (dovetail)
    Alder body wings
    Tone block: walnut or maple?
    Macasaar ebony board
    Maple neck
    Dual Duncan's in 70s
    34 scale
    Flamed koa top
    Weight target around 10lbs

Thanks in advance for sharing your expertise!

Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
    Zoobiedood likes this.
  2. joel406

joel406

Dec 27, 2013
    Florida
    So you’re gonna spend what?

8...10k on a bass that you will use for some jazz and IMO waste at a “worship service”.

Buy what you want but a MIM P bass can do all that to for less than $500.

I never would spend that kinda scratch and use it in any kinda live setting.

Do what you will with your money.

I wouldn’t trade my Jazz bass for a Fodera.

Seanto likes this.
  3. TDR1138

TDR1138

Apr 11, 2007
    Section 204
    Well, I know nothing about Fodera tone blocks, but I'll just say that Fodera makes some beautiful instruments that I would love to someday play at a worship service, if and when I can ever afford one. Good luck with your inquiry and with your build. Hope it turns out better than you expect.

puff father and FenderB like this.
  4. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Sarcasm: Just ONE of the many services I offer! Supporting Member

joel406 - you are welcome to your opinion but your attack on what I value is NOT appreciated.

I use a Fodera E5S (yep, the cheap one!) for worship services and it works wonderfully. Rig used with it is a Streamliner 900 into an Accugroove Tri-115, which sounds good too! Since the Sanctuary is large (1400 seats) the rig is mostly for the singers and ME! I use the DI on the head to feed the house and it sounds great through the IEM's.

I can't help with a tone block on a Fodera but I had two Ken Lawrence Brase's and had an alder tone block on one. It sounded a *little* different than the other Brase. I was an idiot to sell them!

Enjoy your new bass!

Dan

5. Brother Goose

Brother Goose The Process IS the Reward!

Dec 4, 2013
    Syracuse NY
    God Is Love
    What a ridiculous troll post. It's his money and life, dude.

I'd go with walnut.

gkbass13, lazycat93, Templar and 17 others like this.
  6. GHOST AT

GHOST AT Supporting Member

May 24, 2011
    Maybe Jason will chime in I think the tone block is more of a "spice" and not a huge factor in tone like fretboard wood. I noticed that you would like to keep the weight around 10 pounds, that might be difficult with a Walnut tone block.
    My Imperial has Ash wings and Maple block and its under 10 pounds I love the specs on your Fodera so far, do you have a pic of the top?

JPMcGuire likes this.
  7. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    I don't know much about tone blocks either. I do know maple is more traditional building material for a bass so if versatility is what you want I'd go with a more standard material.

JPMcGuire likes this.
  8. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 Supporting Member

Jul 5, 2010
    SoCal
    I love when someone writes an inflammatory, attacking post then at the very end tells you to do what you want, as if trying to save face.

9. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Fodera’s are nice all around. No matter your choices the final product will probably be a joy to play.

There was a Fodera Precision model someone posted about here a few years back. Would love a Precision 5 Fodera...maybe one of these days.

10. FingerDub

FingerDub

Jan 8, 2016
    Are those the only 2 choices offered?

cnltb likes this.
  11. inanimate_carb

inanimate_carb

Aug 11, 2016

Really? Lotsa drama and vitriol here about a 1/2" thick piece of wood about the size of of the sole on a winter boot that isn't part of a Jazz Bass build at all.

And if you weren't posturing on message boards, you totally would trade your Jazz Bass for a Fodera - unless you're wealthy enough to turn down the 3-10k you'd be ahead if a trade like that could actually happen.

OP, every Fodera I've really been smitten with had fairly simple Fender style woods all throughout the body, no matter what the top was - usually alder. I'd just do a maple tone block. The maple board and 70's pickup spacing will likely speak much louder as to what the voice of the bass will be than a tone block choice IMO.

gebass6 and JPMcGuire like this.
  12. franklindayala

franklindayala

Feb 8, 2015
    PERÚ
    Koa Top, alder wings. I would go with maple tone block.

Cowboy in Latvia and JPMcGuire like this.
  13. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music.

May 3, 2009
    N.E Illinois
    He didn't ask should he trade his Fodera for a Fender.
    Do you know he already has two Fenders?
    The arrogance!
    Elitist be gone!

HamOnTheCob likes this.
  14. Madhouse27

Madhouse27

Sep 19, 2016
    Left-handed Schecter available for Fodera trade if Joel turns you down.

15. DirtyDuke

DirtyDuke Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 13, 2012
    guelph ontario
    Partner Southampton Pedals, Partner CCP
    YES U WOULD,

The end.......

16. fivestringdan

fivestringdan Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    Maple would work best for what you described.

JPMcGuire likes this.
  17. oldfretless

oldfretless Gold Supporting Member

Jul 28, 2007
    SoYo County,PA
    I may be wrong, but a tone block may be only on neck through. I have two awesome dovetails, and neither have a tone block. It may not be feasible with that construction.

rmayer likes this.
  18. Bass'd on a true story

Bass'd on a true story

Jun 28, 2015
    First time I've ever heard of a tone block. It sounds like a really neat, novel idea and my interest is engaged fully (any excuse to gas will be taken without regret).

That being said, I don't know if I've ever HEARD (visuals are a different story) a walnut instrument that sounded better than a maple instrument of the same type. I love maple. I know it's super basic and vanilla, but maple just seems to have a certain classic consistency that can't be ignored or overstated. You already took some slightly exotic choices with the ebony board and koa veneer, I'd balance that out with something more traditional.

Maybe the tone block makes no difference and my post is stupid, but that doesn't help me spend money on basses, so I'm gonna choose to believe in the magic.

TLDR Canadian flag.

Westsailor, Reedt2000 and JPMcGuire like this.
  19. FenderB

FenderB

Mar 28, 2016
    Findlay, Ohio
    ?

Nightwing and gebass6 like this.
  20. Adam Wright

Adam Wright Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2002
    Arlington,Tx
    Maybe walnut body wings with an alder tone block instead?

gkbass13, Edgar and giovabass like this.