1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fun, Easy songs to slap to?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by debassr, Feb 26, 2008.

1. debassr

debassr

Jan 23, 2008
    Boston
    I'm just learning how to slap and my technique is finally getting to a place where I can do it fairly well.

I'm looking for some songs that have a simple, easy to play bass line and are fun.

Any recommendations?

Currently been practicing with California Love by 2Pac. Tons of fun.

2. debassr

debassr

Jan 23, 2008
    Boston
    So NOBODY has any recommendations?

3. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    The RHCP catalog.

4. try "glide" by Pleasure, nice classic

Felix Smith likes this.
  5. theres this cool guy named flea who plays for this cool band called the red hot chili peppers, check them out

6. debassr

debassr

Jan 23, 2008
    Boston
    C'mon guys - I said EASY stuff. Of course I know about Flea/RHCP - I'm just getting started though so how about something a little simpler?

7. play that funky music white boy isn't that hard, at least the main part of it

8. ....most of flea's popular slap lines ARE easy...

Slap doesnt get any simpler than higher ground...

aeroplane shouldnt be out of reach for you either even if you are just starting out. just takes some work, nothing too complex there tho

9. debassr

debassr

Jan 23, 2008
    Boston
    Good idea - thank you - I like the rap remix version.

10. Thank You by Sly.

11. randysmojo

randysmojo

Jan 14, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Paly that funky music isn't using slap bass, at least on the main part. At least from what I can tell from the original version by Wild Cherry. feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. If they are slapping ang popping, then their tone is way muffled anyways. Sounds like finger style to me. You could use it to practice slap bass though. It's a goods line for it.

12. I was gonna say that. Very simple, but super funky and fun. It's my ringtone. :smug:

13. how about dance to the music by sly

14. A Taste Of Honey - Boogie Oogie Oogie

15. Anything disco. They help with slap technique slap/pop alternation and groove. A good one would be Do Ya Think I'm Sorry by Rod Stewart basically disco octaves are like this:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ----------7------4--------5--------6-------------------------------------------------
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ------5-------2-------3-------4--------------------------------------------------------
    everything on the e string is a slap while everything on the D is a pop so you alternate.
    and just repeat over and over in straight eighths (count 1-and-2-and-3-and-4-and... at equal intervals) sounds cool and it's fun for impromptu jams.

16. johnpaulbass

johnpaulbass

Nov 2, 2005
    Slovenia
    suggestion...

put on some songs that you like and rearrange them in "slap mode " ;)

17. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    black betty - ram jam

start grooving on an A note and take over from there.

</thread>

18. soong

soong

May 10, 2007
    Sydney
    what?!

nobody's mentioned Take the Power Back - RATM
    ?!

19. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    Listen to Superstition by Stevie Wonder and slap the main riff (which he plays on clavinet). It's a basic pentatonic riff in Eb.

20. Shovelbone

Shovelbone Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Yonderville Georgia
    Try Boogie Oogie Oogie by Taste of Honey and BrickHouse by the Commodores. In fact the latest issue of Bass Player magazine has Brickhouse transcibed so that should help you out.
    I am just starting to work on my slap technique as well and these are two songs that my bass teacher gave me to work on.