1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

G&L Club Part 7

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Dec 4, 2013.

Tags:
  1. TDR1138

TDR1138

Apr 11, 2007
    Section 204
    Yeah, I'm aware I can get them there. Just low on my to-do/to-spend list. But thanks for the tip.

2. keto

keto

Mar 3, 2016
    Edmonton
    I went fishing around looking for them last week, and could not find - mine is missing. Mind linking them?

3. Kriegs

Kriegs Peace

Feb 14, 2018
    MA/ RI area
    One Way and keto like this.
  4. dagrev

dagrev Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2006
    Kentucky
    There's a TBer who sells them in the classifieds. I needed one, not a pack and got one from him. He needed one and was selling the rest as I recall. A little pricey for one I suppose, but I didn't need and won't need 5.

5. AngelCrusher

AngelCrusher Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2004
    Mesa Boogie, Tech 21, Taylor
    How do you all have your G&Ls set up? I am spoiled by my Sadowsky NYC - the set up from Roger is the best I have ever had and I can’t match it on the G&L in the upper frets.

Currently my G&L setup has a little relief in the neck. If I lower the saddles, my D and G will buzz in the upper frets. With the neck straighter, it seems like the action is even higher up there.

Don’t get me wrong, the bass plays pretty well already, but I am just trying to see how good I can get it. In a perfect world, the action below the 12th fret (it’s awesome) would be the same as above.

6. gidbass

gidbass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    I had the same problem on my L2000K tribute. A fret level and crown took care of it.

Good Luck!

AngelCrusher likes this.
  7. AngelCrusher

AngelCrusher Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2004
    Mesa Boogie, Tech 21, Taylor
    Thanks, I was thinking I'd need to get some work done on it to get it how I want. Don't they PLEK these necks already?

8. ahadl2500

ahadl2500 Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2003
    Greenwood, IN
    They PLEK (assuming the one you have is new enough, but they have been doing it for several years now).

dagrev and RandM like this.
  9. Chrome Dome

Chrome Dome Chrome Dome Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2013
    Piqua,Ohio 45356
    You could try one of the TBer's here Craigb,and send him a PM. Check on the classifieds in the parts area. I think he has a GL neck,or G&L necks for sale? Here is his for sale ad.
    For Sale - G&L parts - bare maple L2K neck still available

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
  10. I FINALLY got a chance to run a few more pickguards for the Kilo... Still haven't found the right one for me, but since these two were recommended by members in here, I figured that I'd share the results. I'm not crazy about the mirror, but the black sparkle is growing on me.

20190624_184551. 20190624_184604. 20190710_194733.

Attached Files:

11. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    I'm requesting you remove this post.
    That bass is just too cool for the general public!
    By the way, the Japanese sellers often use mirror pickguards...that's the way too go for me. You just might want to try smoked mirror.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    armyadarkness likes this.
  12. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    Howdy, neighbor! :D

I'll start out by being noncommittal and saying they both look great - and they do! I don't think I ever saw a black sparkle pickguard before but I like it, especially against that amazing G&L metal flake finish. But there's something I love about the mirror pickguard with that finish and I prefer that one, to be honest, by a lot. But don't let my opinion influence you. Like I said, they both look great!

jd56hawk and armyadarkness like this.
  13. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    I own this beauty. The M 2500 is a fantastic bass as is the L 2500. I love the shape of the necks and the tight string spacing. This one sounds heavenly....come to think of it they all sound heavenly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

jmlee, Kubicki Fan, MG Wolf and 7 others like this.
  14. Runlikegregg

Runlikegregg

Dec 31, 2011
    Brooklyn
    For my eyes, I like the mirror better. The black sparkle looks a bit too busy to me, your eyes never get to rest.
    maybe the smoke mirror as suggested by JD56hawk would be a good middle way. perhaps white pearloid?

jd56hawk, Luigir and armyadarkness like this.
  15. Lol. Thanks bro... I do have 6 more mirror colors to go, and I definitely will be trying them all. Right now, I'm trying to do at least one a day.

I have blue, red, smoke, rose, gold, green, orange in mirror still... 6 more sparkle color sets, and then a on of solids, transparents, and metallics.

AGH, pjbassist and jd56hawk like this.
  16. Mirror always has and always will be my favorite... I'm sure that most would say I overdo it... When I got the kilo, the mirror was my intention... and since I had to make it myself, I just ordered a case of blanks in every color.

The black sparkle was a suggestion from another user here... anxious to see the other sparkle's and mirrors!

With the blue... The mirror is perfect to me! The red it just felt overdone... 20170612_101435. in person.

osv, 4stringsjack, jordacr and 12 others like this.
  17. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Board member here had a Dean Hillsboro in blue with a smoked mirror pickguard.
    Sure, it wasn't red sparkle but there's just something about those smoked mirror PGsn Saw a silver sparkle bass and a green sparkle bass with one and they both looked great!

armyadarkness likes this.
  18. Well if you ever get a Kilo... I'll send you a mirrored guard for it.

AGH, pjbassist, TinIndian and 3 others like this.
  19. Kriegs

Kriegs Peace

Feb 14, 2018
    MA/ RI area
    I like the black sparkle! In the picture, at least, it reminds me of the static on the TV in Poltergeist :thumbsup:
    [​IMG]

20. baddarryl

baddarryl Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2008
    Cape Fear!
    Just received this red headed beauty! She is a like an old worn out road whore that will take you where you have never been! In Love!

TRADED - 1985 G&L El Toro E