1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Geddy Lee overrated??

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by twdavis13, Sep 27, 2009.

1. RestInPieces

RestInPieces

Jun 14, 2009
    This thread is so funny :D. I can't read this without laughing.

This is my two cents

GENEEEEEE SIMMMOONS :bassist::bassist::bassist:

Fuk yea

OMFG listen to the bass line of "I Was Made for Lovin You" it's just PURE GENIOUS. Root, octave, root, octave :eek: . I haven't once in my lifetime thought about that, it just blows my mind.

(btw i'm being sarcastic and entwistle is better than geddy)

:bag:

2. iwannalearnbass

iwannalearnbass

Apr 1, 2009
    Opinion schmopinion. Geddy has been scientifically proven to consistently not be an overrated bass player :)

3. Rune Bivrin

Rune Bivrin Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Huddinge, Sweden
    Keef played in the Who? And he's dead? OMFG, how did I miss that?:eek: Seems like it was only last year he fell from a palm.:atoz:

There will ever only be one Keef, and it wasn't Keith Moon.:rollno:

4. badstonebass

badstonebass

Jun 7, 2006
    ohio
    I love RUSH but I will say this,

If you went to a local bar and some guy was playing with Geddy's tinny TONE and his weird technique.....strings banging the frets and pickups....you would be LAUGHING and making fun of the guy.

However geddy is in RUSH and has written/played on some of the best music of all time. So he IS overrated in a way....but he's Geddy Lee.

5. twdavis13

twdavis13

Dec 14, 2008
    HAHA:D

In all seriousness though, I think Gene is a rather underrated player. All of his lines from the 70's were very tasty, and he does some fascinating improvisation live.

That aside, thank you for having the equipment to join me in the majority.:bag:

6. larrison

larrison Supporting Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Texas
    That's Paul Stanley playing bass on Dynasty's I was made for loving you.

7. jdwinva

jdwinva Supporting Member

Aug 3, 2005
    Leesburg, VA
    You can love or hate the music but at the end of the day Geddy is an incredible musician. :bassist:

8. kraigo

kraigo

Jun 21, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    As someone who's not a big Rush fan, I'd have to say no, Geddy is not overrated. When I hear the OP playing those lines, singing those vocals and covering bass pedals and keyboards all at once I'll consider changing my mind.

KO

9. Trapezius

Trapezius

Mar 1, 2009
    Oslo, Norway
    Underrated, overrated, whatever. He's a legend, that's just the way it is. Heck, maybe he'll be as big as Chuck Norris one day.

10. jgroh

jgroh

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Wait...what? :eyebrow:

Oh, thats right, Rush started their career doing stadiums....right?

No, wait, Geddy didnt actually play in any of those bars in the early days, its was piped in Who music or maybe a 4 year old Wooten on a P bass?

No, wait, there was no such thing as strings or frets back then so as not to slap either one of them with weird technique. Or maybe people didnt develop the ability to laugh until talkbass.

(just how the hell did he become famous with his tinny tone, weird technique and strings banging while playing in bars then?)

11. larrison

larrison Supporting Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Texas
    I think Geddy is great. I think Entwistle is great. There are many greats obviously. But they excel in the context of their own bands. They may not be looked at the same way had they been in other bands. It's too hard to compare these guys like that. Now Geddy is no Jaco or Wooten but it isn't fair to compare them that way either. The guy that started this thread must be laughing his butt off right now. BTW I agree, Gene $immons played good lines back in the hey day...

12. Oztek

Oztek

Sep 25, 2008
    Even Chuck Norris agrees that Geddy ISN'T overrated!

13. Nighthawk551

Nighthawk551

Jan 3, 2007
    Indiana
    Sweetwater Sound
    I agree completely. Technical skill, creativity, and influence all factor into how I judge a bassist.

14. WaldoNova

WaldoNova Having fun yet? Supporting Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Mt Vernon, NY
    In sports they play all season long to find out who is the best and everyone who plays in the pros plays to be the best(or for the exorbitant paycheck).
    In music it's about how you feel, your passions and how you escape everyday problems or even more simply because it's what you want to do. The true greats play for the song to convey their interpretation of the subject(song). So as much as I like Geddy and all bass players who can really rip the fretboard, I think it's kind of shortsighted to claim someone is better than somebody else. We all play the bass because we love music and the state of mind we get into while we play right? IMO we should leave our competitive natures out of a music discussion because when it comes down to it if you don't like Geddy's voice don't listen to him.

15. ^^^ /thread

16. Stampy

Stampy

Jun 30, 2008
    Connecticut
    Geddy Lee Overrated!!!:spit::spit::spit:
    How about Ron Blair being UNDERRATED!!!

17. PBass101

PBass101

Jul 3, 2008
    Illinois
    Tinny? What the hell are you smoking? Have you heard Rush live?

If I saw a guy in a bar that could cop Geddy's techinque and tone I'd buy him a beer. Not an expensive mixed drink, but a beer.

18. motionkid

motionkid Guest

Jan 28, 2008
    Central Wisconsin
    Be thankful you didnt say that to me in person or I probably would smack you in the face. Its not just the fact Geddy can play some SICK bass grooves, its the fact he sings AND plays the Taurus pedals AT THE SAME TIME!!!!!!!!!

19. pringlw

pringlw

Nov 22, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Geddy Lee BASS = Somewhat overrated (but still a nice bass)

Geddy Lee the Musician?? I'll even say he's underrated. He is an outstanding multi-dimensional musician.

20. Elrend

Elrend

Feb 24, 2008
    Norway
    Is it blasphemy, or is it a plausible possibility?? I've been listening to both Charles Mingus and Jaco Pastorius extensively, and I honestly feel that Mingus was way more inventive and interesting. I also think Jaco Pastorius was rather boring, and it just seemed, dull... plus, alot of his were rather repetitive chromatic garb...:bag:

Cheerio???:bassist: