1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Geddy Lee overrated??

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by twdavis13, Sep 27, 2009.

1. jgroh

jgroh

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    No, its more about this:

If you attack thousands of people's "inspiration/hero/person that's kinda cool", then you are going to get lots of attention. Has nothing to do with if we find this noob's opinion fascinating.

2. I would hope he had some Chris Squire, that's another one of his major influences.

Most of the "Best of CDs" are bound to what label they were on. Polygram / Mercury doesn't own any usage rights to any of the Atlantic recordings so anything post '88 wouldn't be on those compilations. Atlantic does get usage rights so depending on what "best of" you bought, it could be entirely 80's material. With a 30+ year career and two major labels it's hard to find an all inclusive "best of". If you were listening to the 80's Rush compiliation, I can't imagine why it sounded very 80's. ;)

Honest to goodness, I'm hard pressed to find a bass player that his morphed his sound and his style as much as Geddy has over their entire career. That alone is more fascinating me to than the latest pop and slap junkie.

Not pissing me off, you expressed a hell of a lot better than the OP did.

And in my opinion he's worth every bit of hype for one reason alone, the sheer number of people on this forum who play bass because of him.

And at the end of the day anybody who drives people to pick up and learn and instrument deserves a lot of respect.

3. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Yeah, the irony meter is waaay into the red zone.:D

Heck, I'm pretty much neutral when it comes to Rush's music, but I fully understand the love he gets here. He may not have the chops of Wooten (that's a short list), but he's highly skilled and comes up with really good lines from what I've heard. And to pull that off live, with all the other things he does, is truly impressive.

And yes, there is also this...
    or a certain bassist who's also a reality TV star and egomaniac. Sorry, but how someone conducts themselves can play a factor in how much respect they get (though not always). Geddy's also shown he has a pretty good sense of humor--he's worked with both "Bob and Doug Mackenzie" and the South Park guys, and used a rotisserie and a washer and dryer on stage. It's pretty hard not to like the guy.

I won't do a Geddy/Entwistle playing comparison, because I think that's an apples/oranges situation.

4. ProfGumby

ProfGumby

Jan 15, 2007
    Michigan's U.P.
    Now you're talkin!
    :cool:

I thought the Red Zone was for loading and unloading only?

:bag:

5. That's the white zone...

6. If people would just accept that Wentz and Fieldy are the alpha and omega of bassdom then we wouldn't have stupid threads about those hacks like The Ox, Geddy, Wooten, Miller, Claypool, Flea, Jamerson, Clarke, Graham, et al......;)

Just kidding...for all of the winky face impaired. :)

7. Lefty Geek

Lefty Geek

Feb 13, 2006
    NYC
    I think Entwistle is over-rating. He overplays a lot. I love Geddy Lee as a bassist, but I can't stand his singing. Instrumental Rush is great, but things go to **** when Geddy starts singing. I just can't listen to it.

8. PBass101

PBass101

Jul 3, 2008
    Illinois
    Please, elaborate.

9. robgo

robgo

Jan 25, 2008
    UK
    No, no. Please Don't!!

DerJackal - Fair comments, mate.

10. Impossible. He's dead, y'see.

RIP, Ox.

11. How dare you!!

12. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

Dumb thread

13. I can understand why you would think he overplays. Entwistle's bass lines tended to be a little busy, but they needed to be. Pete Townsend is a very average guitar player and really more of a rhythm player than lead. Entwistle's bass lines were necessary to fill in the gaps and to some extent carry the melody of a song.

14. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    I have never been able to fully understand the guy's popularity with bassists, so in that regard I would have agree with the OP. It wasn't until I started hanging out on various bass forums eight or nine years ago that I even realized exactly how a sacred a cow he is.

No disrespect intended, he's obviously a talented pro player...but I've seen him live and heard plenty of recordings and frankly I don't get it either. Music is communication, and he's obviously managed to speak to a lot of people, so he must be doing something right.

Horses for courses, I guess.

15. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Geddy definitely gets a lot of hero worship around here, that much is for sure... :meh:

MM

16. lordnyra

lordnyra

May 3, 2007
    My god.

This thread makes me want to die.

Geddy would list Entwistle as one of his biggest influences. Why compare?

I'd like to see someone who says Geddy is overrated play yyz. Some of the fastest finger playing i've ever been able to play.

I think this Geddy lee Overrated business stems from some negativity towards exclusive fingers players these days.

Ryan Martinie is better than him, Les Claypool. Flea. Wooten.

that makes me laugh. Again Les Claypool would list Geddy Lee as him prime influence.

And just cause you can slap doesn't mean your an amazing player. Ive heard all those major slap players stay on the 7ths and Octaves. Geddy lee stays on the 5ths. So what.

We need more Chris Squire though in our lives. He is most definetly underrated.

17. Geddy's been a professional Bassist, singer, songwriter and band member for 40-years....... Not to mention family man, musicians supporter and general nice guy, (though don't tell him that).
    What of have you done lately?

18. geddeeee

geddeeee

Jun 30, 2006
    Geddy may not be 'that good' any more, but he was IT in the 70's and 80's. Exit... Stage Left. The bass tone is monstrous, the playing flawless. Listen to any of his live bass 'solos' from the 70's. On the fly and all over the place. I've got a few bootlegs of 70's Rush, and Bytor and the Snowdog is a bass playing highlight,. And you can tell these solos are 'real' solos. Never the same thing played twice, from show to show. That grungy Ricky tone is to die for!!!

As to the Ox? Well I think he WAS overrated. Sure he pioneered roundwound strings, but apart from that, what have the Who really done for music? The Who passed me by, I'm afraid, but I do acknowledge The Ox's contribution to bass playing.

Better than Geddy?? In your dreams!!!!

19. Ask someone who was paying attention to rock in the sixties and early seventies. (I may not have survived my teen years without "Quadrophenia.") But since Keef snuffed it? Not much.

Two great bands.
    Two great bassists.
    Plenty of room on the playground for both. You don't have to love a player to appreciate (and maybe learn from) his/her talent. (Miller, Wooten, Flea and other slappers aren't my cup of tea, but damn, they can play rings around me and I respect that big.) Seems like most people here "get" that.

20. comparing entwistle and lee is like comparing pineapples and grapes...

both were highly successful at what they did (do)...both were extremely influential in their own right...

similarities end there