1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Get off my LAWN! "Grumpy Old Farts"

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by B-string, Dec 29, 2013.

1. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    When you start counting all the computers and gizmos with processors in your home, they really add up. It's quite surprising.

Processors are in TV's, set related boxes, CD players, audio players, radios, alarms, phones, cameras, GPS thingies, kitchen appliances - microwave, stoves, mixers, thermostats, smoke alarms, clocks, watches, remote controls, hi-tech flashlights, scales, thermometers, calculators, many in vehicles, toys, test equipmet, musical instrument -tuners, digital effects, MIDI anything, keyboards, recording IO boxes, audio mixers, amps, even that little micrometer.

Years ago, it was how many things that had motors in them. That pales in comparison now.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
    GonePlaid and BadExample like this.
  2. Old P Bass Guy

Old P Bass Guy

Nov 26, 2017
    Arizona
    A good cognac and Cuban cigar with a double espresso.

3. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    It's pretty crazy how much stuff is CPU based now. They will start turning down you AC during peak power hours for you if they haven't already.

That was the mystery amp was testing. Had if for quite a while, first time I plugged it in. Very cool amp. Probably under 20 Lbs and very slick looking. I ran the DI out at line level from the Streamliner, then the Neox and had it connected to my Bag End 18. Then output of the bass amps in use to the 15. With either head I could feel the hairs all over me vibrating. Pretty cool. I hit it pretty hard with the 400 WRMS Neox, less so with the 600 WRMS Streamliner. Very nice sounding power amp.

GonePlaid and beans-on-toast like this.
  4. spankdaplank

spankdaplank

Jan 19, 2003
    Philippines
    Exciting day here yesterday. Two medium earthquakes. A 4.7 at 3:45 pm in the afternoon and a 5.1 at 12:30 am. The midnight one took out the power and woke us from deep sleep. Running around confused in the dark, my wife ran blindly into the closet. Smashed vase and broken clock. Followed by a bunch of small aftershocks, still continuing.
    The epicenter was the same as the big one we had last year, only one kilometer from our house! And only 8 kilometers below the surface as opposed to typical 40 to 60 kilometers deep.
    As the tourist promo says: "It's more fun in the Philippines!".

5. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    Dang, Brian, sorry to hear about that! Is your wife OK? Prayers are with you, your wife, daughter and all you nice extended family you ave there.

I can't wait to get back to the ring of fire myself.

Stumbo, Al Kraft and GonePlaid like this.
  6. JimB52

JimB52 User Supporting Member

May 24, 2007
    East Coast
    What the heck are you kids talking about? Tubes? Like the internet?

7. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    That was an early lead sled power amp prototype that was used to test a concept. 60 amps of output stage capacity and 2kW of dissipation on an amp with rated power of ~400 watts RMS at 4 ohms. There is no way to get even close to the VI protection threshold with any 4 ohm speaker I am aware of.

I build a lot of proof of concept units, all hand built usually including the metalwork.

8. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    ...and these are the fun things that made sitting through all those engineering school lectures worthwhile! :)

9. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    I might have slept through a few too ;)

GonePlaid, BadExample and Al Kraft like this.
  10. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    For all I got out of some of those lectures I would have probably been better off sleeping through a few...and just to be clear, it wasn't that the professor wasn't up to the task of teaching the subject! :rollno:

11. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Right, there are just some subjects that no matter how they are taught are sleep aids in disguise!

12. Tony Johnson

Tony Johnson Guest

Jun 27, 2018
    Lived in Tampa, FL -too hot and humid and Cocoa Beach, FL -too hot and humid and in Stockton, CA too hot and dry. I like Ft. Wayne, IN not too hot in summer and like you, I would rather be cold in winter with mild summers than humid hot 6 months out of the year.

GonePlaid likes this.
  13. Ken Morgan

Ken Morgan

Jun 14, 2014
    Midland, TX
    Just got back from having my ears checked...waited 45 min for some pretty nurse to look at me, say ‘yup, you still got two. We’ll see you next year’

14. GonePlaid

GonePlaid "It needs a bridge cover" Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2016
    Southeast FL
    Yeah, I've still got 2 but after playing in some stupidly loud rock bands in the 70s(who knew about ear plugs?),my left ear functions as a place to put one side of my glasses:(

Old P Bass Guy and Al Kraft like this.
  15. Tony Johnson

Tony Johnson Guest

Jun 27, 2018
    After a stint in the USAF and being close to the flight line, my left ear buzzes if the sound...music, generator, engine, etc., is too loud. We had earplugs then and the sound protectors but when you are young, you don't think about things like that off the flight line...lol. The foibles of youth.

Al Kraft and GonePlaid like this.
  16. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    9D53E588-0573-4D2E-8506-46B8D122D8CF.

17. GonePlaid

Mar 29, 2016
    Southeast FL
    My most often used statements are "HUH?", "Come again?", "What was that?",etc.:confused:

Al Kraft and beans-on-toast like this.
  18. Old P Bass Guy

Old P Bass Guy

Nov 26, 2017
    Arizona
    We retired to the Mountains of central AZ and live at 6k feet. A 45 minute drive we are at 9k. Summers up here range from mid 60s - mid 80s on average. Don't know of any Goldie Locks areas of the country except maybe San Diego. Our family used to vacation at lake Wawasee. I think that is in your neck of the woods. Borne and raised in SW Ohio.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    12BitSlab and GonePlaid like this.
  19. Ken Morgan

Ken Morgan

Jun 14, 2014
    Midland, TX
    Pretty serious hearing loss, both sides...tinnitus bad enough to wake me up.

Mostly service connected. Taught firearms at the MP academy for a while, qualified with no less than 2, sometimes up to 4 weapons every 6 months...

SO SPEAK UP

20. GonePlaid

Mar 29, 2016
    Southeast FL
    I have a constant very high Ab in my left ear. Can't sleep w/o white noise. Always have music or TV going while awake so I Don't hafta listen to "weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee..."

RandM and Old P Bass Guy like this.