Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Greg Curbow passed away

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by prockenklang, Aug 13, 2005.

1. prockenklang

prockenklang

May 22, 2003
    Monterey,Ca.
    I am very sad to report that my dear friend,guitar and bass builder Greg Curbow passed away this morning.

A memorial will be held on Friday,August 19 th. at St.Luke's Episcopal Church in Blueridge,Ga. at 3:00.

Margret Curbow has asked that donations be sent to the Curbow School Of Lutherie.

For more infomation,please contact myself,or call Curbow String Instruments at 706-374-2873.

John

2. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    Truly sad news, John. I am sorry to hear it.

*edit* I had some work done on my Petite 5 earlier this year and was amazed at the service I received. Greg called me to let me know how things were progressing. It was just such a nice personal touch.

3. Stinkoman20xx

Stinkoman20xx

Oct 19, 2003
    That is terrible news :( I never knew him personaly.But when i had an older curbow and wanted to make a custom purchase he was always always very friendly and imformative and checked up a couple times to see if his info was helpful. He was a great luthier and very underated talent.

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Terrible indeed. I found out last night that he was gravely ill, but I didn't expect this so soon. Greg was a gentle soul and a great person to deal with. I've had several communications with him regarding attending the Curbow School of Lutherie and he was always courteous and quick to respond.

My heart and prayers to the Curbow family and his friends.

5. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Wow...what a sad day, and a total shock. I had no idea that Greg wasn't well...

:(

...condolences from Roscoe to the Curbow family.

6. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    I didn't have the pleasure of personally knowing Greg but I've heard good things about him and his company. My deepest sympathies to his family.

7. CurbowPete

CurbowPete

Aug 28, 2004
    USA
    So Sad. Greg will be missed dearly

-Pete

8. Though I never met him in person, I've had the pleasure of getting to know Greg over the last few years, and will definately miss him! Doug, his assistant a master luthier in his own right, will continue to build Curbow instruments with the same care and attention to detail, and I think that would make Greg happy.

I think he was also happy to finally get my bass off his workbench!

Mike

9. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

RIP Greg , your contribution to the bass world will allways be remembered.

10. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    when i just read the title of the thread, i was totally shocked...i really don't know what to say...RIP, Greg...

11. I'm speechless...

I only met him once - but on the more intimate terms that we talked here at my home and because of how close he was to me geographically and my two friends Dave Siff and Jason Shewmake, I felt I was part of a small "circle".

We assign so much importance to such fragile things.

Prayers are all I have now, but I'll put some extra time in the shop this week in his honor. He might have appreciated that.

12. wow..... I do not know what to say!

I will keep the curbow family in my prayers

13. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    sad day, the bass world will miss him dearly.

14. TimothyGroovy

TimothyGroovy Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 3, 2000
    Hong Kong
    Owner: Uni••Sound
    It is absolutely a sad news to me. I feel so sorry to hear about Greg's death. I feel shocked when I first see the thread's title. I own a USA Curbow bass and I always want to order myself another one. But I think it is impossible now. :(

Rest in Peace. Greg

15. This is really sad news. I had been wondering about Greg's health, and I'd been meaning for a couple of years to give him a call or try to visit the shop one more time. :(
    I never got to know Greg very well, but I'm glad I got to meet him and hang out in his workshop, and I'll always have the custom bass he built for me.
    R.I.P., Greg.

16. Me, too, and I'm extraordinarily humbled to own one of the last Curbow instruments Greg worked on.

Mike

17. prockenklang

prockenklang

May 22, 2003
    Monterey,Ca.
    Curbow String Instruments are still in business and will continue making his amazing basses.Please do order another one!

John

18. Yes, definately! Doug also does wonderful work, and Greg is still there in spirit...

19. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Condolences to those who knew Greg... very sad news.