1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Guitar Center Used: Don't Buy Items

Discussion in 'Hot Deals' started by NicJimBass, Sep 7, 2013.

1. rodv66

rodv66 Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2016
    NJ
    Bought a GK 4412h cab at my local GC. Played for a long time before deciding and made sure to bring my head. They had a GK B head that went with it, but master volume control kept crackling.

69limeRev likes this.
  2. There is a Green Peavey Fury IV bass that they say is in "Great" condition. The electronics are wonky as the bass control doesn't work. The output, even with a fresh battery, is low. There is a bad ding in the back of the neck where it was dropped and a repair was attempted. Someone screwed with the battery box and tried to open it with a fork; the finish is stripped around it to a great degree. It is literally bare wood around the cover. The battery box is empty save a napkin that is used to prevent the battery from bouncing around. It is literally a hunk of junk that is in "Great" condition.

Josh Randall and Killed_by_Death like this.
  3. Edmang

Edmang Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2013
    NH
    Tried this out at the store:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/?Ntt=113410074&Ns=r

Not necessarily a stay away, but some things to be aware.

Neck has a good bow, setup may fix, but until you play with the truss rod, who knows.

Needs new strings. On the dead side

Through an amp, the E string was much louder than the others. Not sure if changing strings would fix or there is something else up.

The new one they had there was much better for sure.

4. PandorasFlame

PandorasFlame

Jul 16, 2017
    Anyone near the Davenport, IA store? Need somebody to check out a beat up bass for me.

5. campbems

campbems

Jun 20, 2013
    Jackson
    What kind of bass is that and who makes it?

6. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    metro Detroit
    If it plays good that is still a lot of USA bass for the buck.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
    ivlucas likes this.
  7. porterbass

porterbass

Jul 11, 2013
    Chicago
  8. steelbed45

steelbed45 TRemington

Feb 23, 2011
    Nolanville, TX
  9. scubaduba

scubaduba Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    That is a Gibson made Tobias. No Mike Tobias involvement with that one.

10. derekeugene

derekeugene Supporting Member

Jul 11, 2008
    Kansas City
    Took a gamble on an EBMM at 699 and its a full on fake. I'm returning it today, so it'll probably pop back up immediately. Here'e their item description -

113817041-00-120x120.
    Used Ernie Ball Music Man Stingray 4 String Black Electric Bass Guitar

Here's a link to a thread I made about it in the regular Basses forum - EBMM Experts Assemble! *** is this?

I used to work at a GC a long time ago and I had seen some skyline Laklands brought in that were altered to look like US ones, but I've never seen a fake Stingray. That was before the Sterling SUB line was out, so maybe it's easy to do. It looked legit from the small photo, at least! Anyway, don't be fooled!

catcauphonic likes this.
  11. J.D. Detroit

J.D. Detroit

Nov 12, 2015
    Detroit
    Heads up on a couple basses.

Returned this Epiphone Casady Goldtop yesterday. Store I purchased from made zero mention that it has a mild crack at the joint. Both sides.
    I see the Detroit store already listed it without mentioning this. :rollno:

Also this Schecter Stargazer 4 - Neck has a twist, significant forward bow as well, among other things. Far from Ex cond...

12. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I've been in the market for a 6-String Carvin Bunny Brunel with Piezo when this popped up In the price reduced section. Unfortunately, it’s impossible to set up as the fingerboard is high and buzzes very badly in the higher frets. Too bad. The search continues.

16B1ADC7-7BF3-49D4-8958-D37D159D6C65.

Attached Files: