1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Guitar Center Used: Don't Buy Items

Discussion in 'Hot Deals' started by NicJimBass, Sep 7, 2013.

1. dave79

dave79 Rest well Fish Supporting Member

It sold/returned again and is now in NC, they are letting the tech look at it since they think it has a broken preamp but were completely unaware about the more serious issue. I never got my shipping charge back despite calling several times about it. I'm about to contact GC corporate, the store manager of the Aurora, IL GC needs to be fired, way too much direct lying on his end (most of it I haven't mentioned here).

2. pinion

pinion

Jun 7, 2013
    Do not buy this one. You have to hold down the pedal the whole time for effected signal. Something is not right. I returned it and advised them, but they put it right back out for sale the next day. dd3.JPG

3. I'm probably dumb here, but isn't that a function of the DD3? Isn't that called "hold"? Did you try other modes? Just asking, because I was considering buying a DD3 a few weeks ago, and I usually check GC used...

4. pinion

pinion

Jun 7, 2013
    Yes, that is one of the functions, but on this particular defective pedal you have to do so with every setting. I don't think it was a switch problem because it would come on for a second or two and then turn off without the pedal depressed. Unless you want to stand with your foot on the pedal the whole time you use it, I wouldn't bother with this one.

The problem with this whole thing is that I bought it online, received it broken, took it back to the store, showed them what it was doing, and they STILL put it out for sale.

I had the same thing happen with a Pedal Power 2 I had to return. Recieved it, found that it didn't work properly, returned it and advised them of the problem. They sold it again the next day. Turns out it had been sold by 3 different stores before I bought it. I guess they would rather get the repeat sale on defective gear, than to remove bad items from the rotation.

5. Selling SOMETHING probably looks better from the business's view or something. Even if that something is returned.

6. dave79

dave79 Rest well Fish Supporting Member

I think the idea is get is sold and out of "their" store and returned to a different one, not their problem anymore.

TalHaz likes this.
  7. froghat

froghat Supporting Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Rhinebeck, NY
    And just like insurance companies who routinely deny some legitimate claims, they know there is a percentage of the population who won't bother to return it anyway.

TalHaz and dave79 like this.
  8. KJMO

KJMO

Feb 6, 2015
  9. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth

Jan 2, 2015
    heart of darkness
    Sounds like my case. The guy at the counter didn't even want to hear what the problem was, but at the time there was a couple of guys playing Strats next to us hella loud.
    I figured they would plug it in and realize it's got a problem, but then again, how are they going to fix it?
    I doubt GC has a repair depot they send things to, but I do recall one of the sales guys saying they had sent an SVT Classic off for repairs a couple of times.

10. Fred312b

Fred312b Proof that gear doesn't make you a better player Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    MANY years ago when I worked at a GC, they did have a local place for repairs, and I remember them doing decent work. But that was like 20 years ago, so it's possible things have changed (and for the worse).

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  11. Ken R

Ken R Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2007
    Howell NJ
    Deleted.

Ken R

Last edited: Feb 25, 2016
  12. The Regulator

The Regulator

Aug 10, 2005
    Purchased this item from the Guitar Center in Birmingham, AL and had it shipped to my house in NJ. I unboxed it and connected my head to it. It sounded good but lacked volume. I removed the grill and noticed that one of the speakers was dead. I returned it to my nearest store and described what was wrong. I received a full refund including the shipping. Two days later they relist it under great condition.
    upload_2016-6-19_22-33-25.

13. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    Awful.

rojo412 likes this.
  14. A-Step-Towards

A-Step-Towards Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2009
    Los Angeles California
    I never get why they dont fix stuff and just relist it? Im guessing they just want to ship it out , thus getting rid of it and another store being stuck with it.

15. Killed_by_Death

Jan 2, 2015
    heart of darkness
    I came across a few items at GC in Rockville today that need to be repaired, but I'll bet they don't do it.
    Judging from the amount of stuff that had problems, I would assume they're just letting the used gear go out the same as it came in.

16. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    Maybe it's a game to trap cash to keep creditors happy.

Like a game of hot potato.

They have your funds for a few days until you return it. Takes a day or so for the refund to show up on your cc. But then once the bass is back someone else unwittingly buys it. They take his or her cash and it travels to them while they have the cash. This new buyer discovers the same as the last and returns it. And so the process repeats itself.

17. Killed_by_Death

Jan 2, 2015
    heart of darkness
    Eventually it will land on someone who doesn't return it within the allotted time.

18. A-Step-Towards

A-Step-Towards Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2009
    Los Angeles California

Yep thats just it. It will land on someone that takes a vacation and doesnt have the bass set up and realize the truss is busted. It will land on a kid who doesnt know better, a parent buying for said kid etc.

Honestly to me thats the scummiest thing about guitar center IMO. They test stuff before buying right? which makes me think they may know sometimes something is jacked up, point it out to the seller to low ball them and then pass it onto a buyer saying nothing

19. The Regulator

The Regulator

Aug 10, 2005
    I think that's exactly what they're hoping for. Or someone who doesn't test the equipment properly.

If it wasn't for the fact that I play in a loud band, I probably would not have noticed that there was anything wrong with the cab. At low volumes it sounded fine. It was when I set it at a louder level that I noticed there was something wrong.

20. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2009
    wes virginny
    This thread is the evidence why i dont buy used from GC. I've always figure it's the place people dump un-sellable gear.

dave79 likes this.