1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Guitar Center Used: Don't Buy Items

Discussion in 'Hot Deals' started by NicJimBass, Sep 7, 2013.

1. NicJimBass

NicJimBass Flossin'? I thought your name was Munson!

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    64 Audio · DR Strings · Source Audio · Hipshot
    Someone suggested we start a thread pertaining to items we may have purchased from GC's used site, only to return them due to major issues.

I recently took a shot on a Human BaseX that is back on the site. It said it was modified, which is absolutely true. From the pic they have posted, it's been refinished, has Basslines pickups, and a Kahler tremolo. I thought it'd be cool to try a tremolo. In my research, I found it originally belonged to Jon Reshard, for those who know who he is. I contacted him through facebook and verified it was his and that a guy local to him did the mods.

Bad news is, the tremolo is installed incorrectly and the bass will not intonate. From the 12th fret to the saddles, which were all the way forward, measured 17.25". It should measure 17" to the saddles at their mid point. All the strings play flatter the higher you go on the neck. Totally useless, and a major fix, since there is such a big hole routed in the body.

Beyond that, the refin is not great, though it's not horrible. Someone thought it was a good idea to remove the stock Delano pickups and Glock pre and replace them with Duncan blackouts and a VVTT setup. It still sounded pretty good though, and the neck felt good. If you're looking for a project and go into it with your eyes open, feel free.

Attached Files:

2. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    This is great. Anyone contemplating a GC online buy should inquire here. I know I'd be happy to check out gear at my GC for a fellow TBer. I've been burned twice in the last year. Got my money back but both times it was a HUGE hassle.

3. CBNJ

CBNJ Sorry brother.

Feb 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    This thread is awesome. <3

4. NicJimBass

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    I work near the Columbus GC and would also be willing to check out gear for fellow TB'rs!

lambright713 likes this.
  5. Count me in for Miami Florida

6. Count me in for the MPLS-St. Paul area. I think there are like 4 stores close to me.

I'm eyeing up a new amp on GC's used site and drove out to the store yesterday to check it out. Peace of mind is everything!

Sub'd

7. LowLife350

LowLife350

Jun 28, 2012
    Troy, New York
    none
    I will help as much as I can here in Albany, NY. I am very busy and not in the store's area often but am happy to make a quick trip when I can.

Those posting inquiries should be wary of opportunistic thread stalkers who are ready to take a piece of gear without knowing any more (I picked up my MTD KZX5 from a GC in Texas for $500. I asked no questions because I knew that it was grossly underpriced. I just paid and had it shipped, knowing that I could return it if something was really wrong.) It should be remembered that not only members take advantage of deals in these threads and even so, not all members would honor any etiquette (if there exists any) in such matters.

In other words, if you post a deal here, you may lose it. It may be worth contacting eachother through PM if we are looking to pick up a deal on a unique piece of used equipment.

8. +1 to all of that

9. NicJimBass

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    There is already another thread pertaining to hot deals on the used site. This thread is mainly to warn others about basses we know have issues.

10. LowLife350

LowLife350

Jun 28, 2012
    Troy, New York
    none
    I took the other thread to serve as a place to announce deals for other TB'ers, not for ones that the poster was considering buying him or her self. I now know that it can be both.

I understand your original intent, but in post #2 it was suggested that we do preemptive investigations for each other and in post #4 the you were an early volunteer. I was not trying to derail, but further where I thought that you had already agreed to go. My apologies if I have done otherwise.

. . .and of course I will still help out as much as I can.

Sorry,

LL

11. Im close to the Braintree, Ma location, I can very rarely make it to Natick or Boston. I can help scope some gear out.

12. I live right beside the Louisville location

13. kai_ski

kai_ski

Apr 14, 2007
    Wenatchee, WA
    I live close to Plymouth meeting , pa. I can usually get up there if somebody wants something.

14. MarTONEbass

MarTONEbass Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Norton, MA
    I work in North Attleboro, MA. If anyone sees something they want me to check out at that store, just send me a PM.

15. dave79

dave79 Rest well Fish Supporting Member

Hah, good work, why am I too lazy to start my own threads? Anyway, as posted in the other thread, stay away from the Prophecy II MIJ Fender with case for $249. I love the fact that when I got it there was no battery in it, proving that no one there even plugged it in. Actually it is still sitting in my entrance way. I was told it'd be picked up Friday, I packaged it up and waited around, nothing, called the store, was lied to by one of the managers, either Op or Sales depending on who was telling the truth (GC#618 by the way), and was supposedly going to get a UPS label through email to drop it off that day, two days ago. Time for a credit card chargeback! There's only a certain amount of time and effort I'll put into dealing with these incredibly inept people....but then I have to remind myself, if they weren't so f'n incredibly stupid then we wouldn't be able to score these deals! Well the ones that aren't total busts anyway.

RobTheRiot likes this.
  16. Tonegasm

Tonegasm

Mar 22, 2010
    NJ
    I'm near the Totowa, NJ store. Count me in.

17. This bass was at my local store. I played it. It played great. I even thought about taking it home because it was $250.

That being said. I didnt want to do a refin, and it boggled me who on earth would take out the Delano / Glock electronics and trade them for SD.

18. NicJimBass

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    I didn't mean to come across as upset or anything. You're absolutely right- I was one of the first to say that I'd check something out for someone. My main reason was to keep others from having to go through the hassle of buying something, having it shipped, and possibly returning it if it's no good. I didn't mean to suggest you were derailing the thread.

Hopefully, we can keep the other thread for annoucing good deals, and keep this one for warning others of bad deals. The more educated we all are, the better!

19. NicJimBass

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    Yeah I have no idea why the electronics swap happened. On top of it all, the original Delano's were Music Man shaped pickups, and they replaced them with soapbars, so there is a bunch of open space around each pickup. If they drop the price in half, it would make for a good project. Other than that, it might be a decent first bass for someone.

20. NicJimBass

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    Bummer. I take it you don't live anywhere near a GC? Shipping it back to the store you bought it from seems like a huge hassle... I just returned the Human to my local store.