1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Guitar Scale Acoustic Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SBassman, Aug 18, 2018.

1. macmanlou

macmanlou Don't push it. Just let it fall. Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Washington, DC Area
    I found that the total tension of the Ibanez's stock strings is only a little over 50 lbs. I can't find specs on the LaBella/Microbass flats, though.

2. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    I will check mine tonight for a truss rod. I think it has one but I am guessing. My strings touched down today so I will be trying them tonight. Nickel string alternative to the phosphor bronze.

macmanlou likes this.
  3. tymbrewolf

tymbrewolf

Nov 10, 2003
    For 500 you can get a gold tone microbass fretted or not with the saddle fixed for and with flats. It is a very comfortable bass to play. Back slightly rounded and arm rest area

4. tymbrewolf

tymbrewolf

Nov 10, 2003
    Btw, the ortega strings are silver in color over a soft core.

5. macmanlou

Feb 14, 2007
    Washington, DC Area
    I'd want the acoustic/electric fretless 25" scale. I see that it has an adjustable truss rod. How can you get it with the saddle fixed for the LaBella flats?

6. tymbrewolf

tymbrewolf

Nov 10, 2003
    Contact the goldtone president. But if you don't care about intonation as fretless. Cheaper to just buy one and change to flats

macmanlou likes this.
  7. tymbrewolf

tymbrewolf

Nov 10, 2003
    They adjust for you in house. I suggested they do a sub model set for flats. He didn't think there would be enough demand as they are a small company

macmanlou likes this.
  8. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
    I wish there were more trapeze tailpiece + floating bridge -config'd guitars in the world.

Lance Bunyon likes this.
  9. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Ok, the results are in. Here was the thinking:

- The stock strings are DAddario EXP coated phosphor bronze strings.
    - The stock strings do not come with a taper. They are just cut.
    - Maybe it's the EXP design that makes up some of the tension loss at our scale.
    - Maybe it's the EXP coating that allows for not bothering with a taper.
    - Hey, beside phosphor bronze, there is an EXP light nickel set with gauges very similar to our stock strings.
    - DAddario EXP 220s.

They worked. The strings went on fine, and they are very different - in a good way for me - than the phosphor bronze. I hate phosphor bronze. You lose some perceived acoustic volume, but you pick up, for my ears anyway, more bass tone. It sounds more like a bass than some of the sparkly guitar tone you get with phosphor bronze.

Keeper for me.

MakoMan likes this.
  10. MakoMan

MakoMan

Oct 17, 2011
    Ottawa, Canada
    Very interesting. I really appreciate all of this research you are doing on strings. If nothing else you are saving me a TON of money LOL!
    I'm not a fan of Phosphor Bronze strings myself but after a few weeks I actually like the stock strings. I've done 4 gigs with the little Ibby bass now and every one has gone very well. I'm still not sure I'm wild about the plugged in tone when I am practicing solo but with the whole band it sounds great and cuts through really well. Had I used it a few months without gigging I might have wanted to change the strings but it sounds so good with the band I'm more inclined to pick up another set of the stock strings to keep in the case as back up.

11. macmanlou

Feb 14, 2007
    Washington, DC Area
    Thanks for the review!

Do they feel any smoother than the phosphor bronze (which I also dislike intensely)?

Is there a truss rod adjustment? I think a caught a glimpse of one in a Youtube demo.

12. tymbrewolf

tymbrewolf

Nov 10, 2003
    Played my ortega tonight. I forget how mushy and non bass sounding these daddario strings are and how non slidy and noisy rounds are. Just what you get used to really. But really no comparison to flats. Not sure why any bass acoustic or solid would have them. Not wanting to start a riot or debate. Just sentiments tonight. ;)

macmanlou likes this.
  13. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    I can't say I feel a big difference in the smoothness with the nickels. But for me, tonewise, it's a dunk. :)

I wish DAddario made EXP coated half rounds. I used to use those, and I miss those. Great strings - great compromise between rounds and flats, for me.

Truss rod - my $250 Ibby PNB14E has one. I would imagine then, that the more costly fretless Ibby AV... will also have one.

MakoMan and macmanlou like this.
  14. What length did you get? I only have found long scale. Can they be cut to length?

15. Mako...What is the primary music styles you have used the Ibby for? Do you think it would work for 60/70/80's rock, think Led Zeppelin.

MakoMan likes this.
  16. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Yes. That was the primary thing to evaluate. That they could be cut and still hold together. They absolutely can be cut.

17. Does the string need to be taped above and/or below the cut before and/or after the cutting? Does the end of the E or A need to be flattened to fit in the tuner?

18. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    No to both. The strings are the same design as the stock strings. Only differences are phosphor bronze - boo vs nickel - yay, and small differences in gauge. Nickel E is 95 - still very light. Goes into the tuner no problem.

MakoMan likes this.
  19. macmanlou

Feb 14, 2007
    Washington, DC Area
    I've messaged Ibanez technical support about using steel core strings on the AVNB1FE. I'll post their answer if/when they reply.

MakoMan likes this.
  20. MakoMan

MakoMan

Oct 17, 2011
    Ottawa, Canada
    We are a classic rock band but for the past year we've been super busy doing plugged-in acoustic gigs. For those we play acoustic versions of the most of the songs we play electric along with classic acoustic songs. Those are the gigs I've been using the Ibby for and it has been almost perfect in that role. The E string is a bit floppy, but I've gotten used to it. For a normal Classic Rock gig I will use either my Gretsch Jr. Jet or a Fender Mustang P/J. I'd play a lot of 60's, 70's, 80's rock on the Ibby no problem... not sure about Led Zepplin, but we do some fairly heavy stuff acoustically now and then.
    I should note that as a bassist, I'm a pretty good singer. I'm the lead singer in our band, and I play bass but I'm not much of a bassist, certainly not compared to most of the members on this forum. I make up for it somewhat by having very good tempo. I live on roots and 5ths. If a song calls for a specific bass line, I'll learn it, as long as I can play it and still sing at the same time. If not, we're not doing that song LOL!. Basically I can play the instrument well enough to save us from adding a 5th member :).
    What that all means is while the bass seems perfect for me, you might be playing some riffs that I would not even attempt. I posted a video earlier in this thread of our band with me playing the Ibby. Should give you an idea of the usage I am giving it.

macmanlou likes this.