1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Here we go again... TB NY GTG V

Discussion in 'Social Events and Get Togethers [BG]' started by BassyBill, Mar 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    It looks like this may be on again this year for Sunday August 11 if our friend John The Crusader is good enough to set things in motion.

I travelled across the pond for the event in 2008, 2009 and 2010 but unfortunately couldn't make it in 2011 and there was no GTG at the Plattduetsche on Long Island last year. So, I think I'm about due for another visit to the good old US of A.

Please indicate below if you might be interested in coming along to this so John can get an idea of numbers and start to work out costs. It would be just fantastic to get people from far and wide to turn out and make it the biggest ever TB GTG/beer fest.

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I'm down!!!

3. BassyBill

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Hey, Nino, that's excellent news. I missed you off my FB post about this for some bizarre reason so I'm glad you've caught it here. Looking forward to seeing you guys again.

4. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Posted on fb, but I should be down. As a local, I can help organize (although my July is always busy, starting August 1 my schedule is more sane).

5. I have never been to a NY GTG. I have heard they are pretty awesome. Put me down.

6. RedMoses

RedMoses

Jul 4, 2012
    NYC
    Interesting... Whats a TB Get together like? I was supposed to get to Bass Bash at NAMM this year but couldnt make it.

7. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

New York native living in Virginia. Will try to make it.

8. BassyBill

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    In the past, I think it's highly likely that any one of these GTGs has hosted as big a collection of world-class basses, amps and other gear than you would see under one roof just about anywhere else in the world (NAMM being the only possible exception). Just unbelievable. And they are always great fun, very friendly and the beer is excellent. ;)

There are good reasons why I travelled across the Atlantic for three years running to get to these events, and most of all it's the people.

9. Count me in as well. If its okay, I'd like to bring a friend whose trying to break into the local bass building scene.

10. What timing!

I just happened to check the get-together section, and here we are!

Yes, naturally you can count me in.

It would be good seeing you again, Bill.

Let's see if we can get this going again.

Mike

11. BassyBill

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Mike that's great to hear - will be really good to catch up again.

12. BassyBill

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    No problem, I'm sure. The more the merrier.

13. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    I'll probably be too tapped out after my wedding and honeymoon in June to attend, but I went to the 08 and 09 events and had a blast, so I'll be cheering this one on from afar.

Bill, hopefully the planets align so that we can hoist pints in London.

I completely agree with Bill's description. I've been to other TB GTGs as well--they are always a great time. And in case you or any other folks are wondering, the GTGs are wonderfully supportive environments. You can play as little or as much as you want (well, within reason;)) and there's no chops-judging going on. It's all about fellowship and sharing knowledge.

14. BassyBill

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Howdy Greg - be sure to let me know when you're on your way over here and I will do my damnedest to get to see you guys at some point. ;)

15. pointbass

pointbass Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Definitely very interested ... :cool:

16. BassyBill

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    I hope you manage to get there, Ed.

Just been chatting with John about this, looks like it will definitely go ahead. But we have to get people signed up, of course. ;)

17. pointbass

pointbass Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    If the date is firm, I'll just avoid taking any gigs .... So I'm in :)

18. Luke Sheridan

Luke Sheridan Commercial User

Dec 30, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    I build guitars and sell them. Strings, too
    I'm in..

19. RayG

RayG

Oct 24, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    Mmm. The gear, the beer or the people?? Win all the way round Bill, but I agree, it's people that really make it happen.

John stopped my house for a few minutes a couple of weeks ago and he was looking great. I started a job in NYC last week after a two year layoff and am really looking forward to see everyone again.

Regards to all--------------

20. BassyBill

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Ray, really glad to hear you're working again - if that's what you want! :p

Me, I'd stop tomorrow if finances would let me. But anyway, will be good to catch up again in NY when I get over.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.