1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How many basses do you own? (Currently) Part 2

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Jan 23, 2013.

1. 1

686 vote(s)
    10.1%
  2. 2

1,143 vote(s)
    16.9%
  3. 3

1,183 vote(s)
    17.5%
  4. 4

943 vote(s)
    13.9%
  5. 5 to 9

1,952 vote(s)
    28.8%
  6. 10 to 20

640 vote(s)
    9.4%
  7. 21 +

173 vote(s)
    2.6%
  8. Too many to count

54 vote(s)
    0.8%
  1. BK bassist

BK bassist "Apollo's Ghost" Gold Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2017
    Brooklyn, NY
    I don't play it as much as she should be played but she's really a killer J bass. The craftsmanship is as nice or even nicer (IMO) than a Fender bass at the same price point. The Bacchus luthiers know what they are doing :)

bacchus.

Nunovsky and B-Mac like this.
  2. CosmicRay

CosmicRay Supporting Member

--Basses ---
    1955 Fender P / re-issue
    1962 Fender P
    1964 Fender J / re-issue
    1974 Fender J
    2018 Squier VM P fretless
    Modulus Q-4
    Warwick Star Bass 2
    Martin BC15E a/e
    Epiphone El Capitan 5 a/e
    Upright bass of unknown origin
    EDIT; EBMM Stingray 5 Special HH (2/25/19)

Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
    Nunovsky and staurosjohn like this.
  3. Parts P
    Squier PJ
    Dean AEBG

B-Mac and staurosjohn like this.
  4. B-Mac

B-Mac Sorting Things Out Supporting Member

How are the SX basses?

5. B-Mac

How is that Taylor GC Mini? I've been looking for a reasonably priced used one to no avail. People must really like them.

6. Bassman316

Bassman316

May 27, 2008
    Longs, SC
    The SX basses are pretty sweet. The P-bass is a nice 3 tone sunburst that wears La Bella flats. A long time ago I slapped a Seymour Duncan pickup in it and between that and the very old flats, it nails an old school thumpy tone pretty well. My fretless J-bass is a pretty shade of deep blue with a matching headstock. Stock pickups which are pretty freakin' hot, hotter and more lively than the stock pickups in my MIM Fender Jazz. Tons of fretless "mwah" that I can get outta that bass. I really love both of my SX basses, and considering what I paid for them - around $125-$135 each, new - I really can't complain.

Zoobiedood and B-Mac like this.
  7. B-Mac

That inexpensive new?

8. I'm keeping mine! It's an excellent instrument and perfectly suited for: practice, parlor play and times when I need to take physical stress off old body parts. I wouldn't take it in place of the SG or Mustang, nor do I love it amplified, but for what it does do I love it.

B-Mac likes this.
  9. Bassman316

Bassman316

May 27, 2008
    Longs, SC
    Oh yeah. Now, granted, I bought those basses 9-10 years ago, and to be honest, there was more of a selection of four-string basses on the Rondo Music site than there is now, but yeah I picked up both of those basses within a year of each other and they were right around that price range. SX basses in my experience are a lot of bass for the money. I remember when the original SX fever spread around here and I checked it out for myself. I couldn't believe brand new P and J model basses could be had for that amount that came with such high regards among Talkbassers.

B-Mac likes this.
  10. ESP LTD B50
    Squier Bronco
    EBay $75 White/White P Bass - I call it "Carol"

11. Jaymo

Jaymo

Jul 7, 2017
    Sunburst Jay Turser Pbass copy. Don't know the age. I bought it used for $60US.
    Jet Black 1992 Carvin LB70.
    Both are lefty.
    I want a Hofner violin bass and a Fender PJ.
    But, I'm OK with just the two I have. We'll see what GAS has to say about it.

B-Mac likes this.
  12. drummer5359

drummer5359 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Pittsburgh PA USA
    I've owned eleven basses for years. Basses have come and gone, but weirdly the total stood at eleven. Recently I sold two to fund a major drum purchase, so I currently own a mere nine basses.

(I even changed my answer in the poll!)

I've been waiting for my Rickenbacker 4003 SW/5 for thirteen months now. That will eventually bring my total back to double digits. In the meantime I feel like less of a slave to gear. (Um, except for drums...)

B-Mac likes this.
  13. BK bassist

BK bassist "Apollo's Ghost" Gold Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2017
    Brooklyn, NY

Played one for about 45 minutes at NAMM .... IMO, they are awesome, they sound sound great and feel great too. If I had the need for a small, acoustic bass, I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

B-Mac and walking Bass like this.
  14. PSPW

PSPW

Apr 25, 2015
    This is what I have at the moment:
    1972 fender Precision
    1999 Fender Precision
    2014 Fender Jazz
    Squire Jaguar short scale
    Squire vi
    Squire Precision Classic Vibe
    Squire Jazz 5 string
    Legend fretless
    Epiphone Jack Cassidy Signature
    Maton Sullivan F+4
    Hagstrom H8 ii 8 string

15. B-Mac

Just added number 58 today

Well I sort of jumped on the band wagon today. Last week I purchased a Dean EABC bass 2012 model that was modified with an LC-5 preamp. Came with Dean HSC and a nice leather Fender Strap. I made an offer and I didn't think it would sell and the next thing you know I got a message saying accepted and I need to pay.
    I don't know who thought to replace the passive electronics in this with the LC-5, but I have to say it is a real good match.
    Here's the sellers pics and one of my pics with my buddy.
    @McG, @Leftka and @GretschWretch thank you so much for telling me the good things about this bass.
    Gawd is it huge though compared to my other ABG's!!!! It's bigger than my Takamine GB72CE Jumbo
    49 1/2" end to end, 18" across lower bout, 4 7/8" deep, 21 1/2" bottom of body to top of body and 12 1/8" across upper bout.

s-l1600-. s-l1600-f-. s-l1600-e-. s-l1600-g-. s-l1600-a-. s-l1600-c-. s-l1600-b-. img_0735-.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
    BK bassist, McG and staurosjohn like this.
  16. Jaymo

Jaymo

Jul 7, 2017
    ^Nice. Very nice. I like it. Finally, a Dean with a headstock that doesn't look like it was designed by a preteen trying to be the next Pantera.

B-Mac and staurosjohn like this.
  17. B-Mac

LOL, yeah not all of their stuff is pointy and for metal...

Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
    Jaymo and staurosjohn like this.
  18. staurosjohn

staurosjohn Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2010
    Nottingham, MD
    I’m in the ‘fewer club’- at 4... just finished ‘constructing’ the Burst FrankenFender... I’m a P guy! :woot:

4435C0D1-E282-4879-A52B-B79F30197730.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
    BK bassist, Jaymo and B-Mac like this.
  19. staurosjohn

staurosjohn Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2010
    Nottingham, MD
    :laugh::D:smug:

B-Mac likes this.
  20. Jaymo

Jaymo

Jul 7, 2017
    True. I absolutely hate their \m/ headstocks.
    I love metal (not the Cookie Monster voice stuff), but I've never been a fan of guitars and basses that look "metal" (pointy)

B-Mac likes this.